PDA

View Full Version : Raht Racer bike vehicle

CSKeller
11-12-2015, 12:11 AM
Wow! Came across this. Looks quite interesting!!

I would be interested in adding one to my stable. Would make the 25 degree winter commutes a lot more bearable and comfortable...and a lot quicker. :beer:

What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnNebVdiJoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ZGTDUO0DQ

Tickdoc
11-12-2015, 06:08 AM
I gotta say, it is the only recumbent yet that I would try.

You can't sneak past cars on it though in traffic, which is the highlight of my commute ;~)

My Bro-in law built something similar from scratch a few years ago...not shelled or as attractive as this one, but it had great potential.

mecse
11-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Won't everyone be reading, or riding on a trainer in their self driving vehicle?

It is kind of great, though. A bit low to the ground. I wonder how many watts it uses, how the charge is. Hmpf.

William
11-12-2015, 06:36 AM
I'm on board! :cool:

William

David Tollefson
11-12-2015, 07:08 AM
I like it. Though I wonder how long one would have to pedal to recharge it...

Formulasaab
11-12-2015, 07:45 AM
I am always interested in these things... But I always have the same question "What's the story on ventilation?"

I can't find any mention of it on their website nor did I see it in the videos. That's a lot of black and greenhouse there, it's got to have more than just passive ventilation to keep it comfortable.

MattTuck
11-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Yes, a dark colored vehicle 3 feet off the ground... that sounds like a marvelous idea for commuting. While you're down there, you can examine people's tire tread.

It does look like fun, but not sure how safe it is. Maybe if it were day glo yellow.

You can 'drive' it to work, then plug it into that device from yesterday, where you can spend your day pedaling that giant fly wheel, to charge your rhat racer back up for the evening commute. Repeat at home for the next day's ride to work.

You'll be spending 16 hours a day pedaling.

Formulasaab
11-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Yes, a dark colored vehicle 3 feet off the ground... that sounds like a marvelous idea for commuting. While you're down there, you can examine people's tire tread.

It does look like fun, but not sure how safe it is. Maybe if it were day glo yellow.

You can 'drive' it to work, then plug it into that device from yesterday, where you can spend your day pedaling that giant fly wheel, to charge your rhat racer back up for the evening commute. Repeat at home for the next day's ride to work.

You'll be spending 16 hours a day pedaling.

I imagine they left it without paint solely for the purpose of showing off its construction. That's critically important for them, considering the obvious caché that surrounds carbon fiber and their need to generate interest.

Personally, I don't mind the risk associated with being the smallest and most fragile thing on the road. I assume that every time I get on my motorcycle. The addition of more LED lighting will do much to assist in making it noticeable.

Highpowernut
11-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Looks cool. Price would be high for a commuter bike/car/motorcycle.
Wonder what the range is?
Weight with battery.
No AC means it'd never work for me in Phoenix from April to November.

Would be fun on strava segments

dave thompson
11-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Put a V-twin motorcycle engine in front, modern Morgan!

David Kirk
11-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Did they say if it's a pull-in recharge?

dave

oldpotatoe
11-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Did they say if it's a pull-in recharge?

dave

Didn't say but although you use 'pedals' to run electric motor or charge battery, not really a 'bicycle', even they say it's a 'motorcycle' category. Pretty cool, bet it'll cost a fortune.

unterhausen
11-12-2015, 06:27 PM
apparently they are still around, but they cancelled their kickstarter

CampyorBust
11-12-2015, 06:53 PM
I like this and would totally use one. One thing it needs badly is a flag on the back. Like all recumbents being seen is an issue, a flag is a must. Also how stable is this thing? Trikes can be flipped. So what happens if I take a turn too fast and too tight, under steer/over steer? Can I fish tail it? The suspension looks like it would really help mitigating the risk of flipping.

Tickdoc
11-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Here's my bro in law tooling around on his. All electric, good for about 40 mph, would run for about an hour. He did a great job with the suspension and frame, cad design and milling/welding all from scratch. A pedal generating option would make it even better.

That and a big carbon shell to keep you from looking like a dork.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/thanksgiving2006036small.jpg