Thanks for All you do

Keith A
11-11-2015, 10:40 AM
...and have done!

(my dad)

AngryScientist
11-11-2015, 10:43 AM
good thread.

bravo to all those un uniform, past and present.

http://pre12.deviantart.net/c147/th/pre/i/2006/087/e/7/american_flag_by_q_stock.jpg

93legendti
11-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Thank G-d for all our Vets. Especially those that volunteered.

My Father of Blessed Memory served as a GI in WWII, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, where he was twice wounded, made it to Germany and saw the end of the War. Not bad for a 3 year old who fled Poland before the Nazis could murder him, like they murdered his extended family that stayed.

My Mother just told me recently about his wounds, which included shrapnel in his nose until the day he died. He never said a word.

pinkshogun
11-11-2015, 11:05 AM
The first Veterans Day without my old man who passed in February. He drove an amphibious truck during the Korean War

Keith A
11-11-2015, 11:07 AM
The first Veterans Day without my old man who passed in February. He drove an amphibious truck during the Korean WarI think many of us understand how you feel. It's been three years since my dad passed away and I miss him.

crashnburn
11-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks to all who have served, is serving and will serve!

drewellison
11-11-2015, 11:24 AM
My father, in 1945 Germany. Thank you veterans! God bless you all.

Len J
11-11-2015, 01:31 PM
I'm always amazed at how young my Dad was in WW II.

Graduated from High School early in early May, on Utah Beach June 12, 1944.
Forward Infantry observer (Yea, the one that crawled up within visual range of an artillery target and "zeroed in" the shells) with an artillery battalion that had 268 straight days of continuous combat, covered 4,241 miles & fought under 5 armies and 8 divisions. Pinned in the Battle of the Bulge, unit led the breakthrough & ended up in Berlin.

Think about that next time you encounter an 18YO.

They were young kids.

paredown
11-11-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm always amazed at how young my Dad was in WW II.

Graduated from High School early in early May, on Utah Beach June 12, 1944.
Forward Infantry observer (Yea, the one that crawled up within visual range of an artillery target and "zeroed in" the shells) with an artillery battalion that had 268 straight days of continuous combat, covered 4,241 miles & fought under 5 armies and 8 divisions. Pinned in the Battle of the Bulge, unit led the breakthrough & ended up in Berlin.

Think about that next time you encounter an 18YO.

They were young kids.

And they were extraordinarily brave--I was telling some vets today about visiting Remagen bridge with a dear friend whose father was one of the guys trying to defuse the charges placed by the Germans to blow the bridge, while German snipers were trying to pick them off. It was the stuff of family legend that was so powerful that the son who visited Germany to see us had to go see the bridge.

Now there is a "Peace Museum" there--a good thing, I think.

My FIL also landed at Normandy with the Army Corps of Engineers--and did the long sweep on the northern route--came back in one piece but lost his best friend while they were trying to set one of the temporary bridges--it haunted him for his whole life and he was still heartbroken when he passed a few years ago...

For all you vets, thanks for your service!

AngryScientist
11-11-2015, 02:03 PM
My dad - who will be 91 this year, and in remarkably great shape (i think he can still split more wood than me per hour...) was also a WWII vet.

it's amazing how quickly those boys had to grow up.

it's also fairly intriguing how, though he was only in the Navy for a few years, how that time shaped his entire life from there forward.

the greatest generation.

i'm going to have a drink with him tonight!

Len J
11-11-2015, 02:06 PM
And they were extraordinarily brave--I was telling some vets today about visiting Remagen bridge with a dear friend whose father was one of the guys trying to defuse the charges placed by the Germans to blow the bridge, while German snipers were trying to pick them off. It was the stuff of family legend that was so powerful that the son who visited Germany to see us had to go see the bridge.

Now there is a "Peace Museum" there--a good thing, I think.

My FIL also landed at Normandy with the Army Corps of Engineers--and did the long sweep on the northern route--came back in one piece but lost his best friend while they were trying to set one of the temporary bridges--it haunted him for his whole life and he was still heartbroken when he passed a few years ago...

For all you vets, thanks for your service!

After my Dad died, I was going thru his stuff and found an unmarked envelope... with his silver star award...... something none of us knew about. Typical.

He never wanted to go back to Europe after the war. He didn't want to relive his hell (as he called it).

Tough times.

Len

drewellison
11-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Some of you have pointed out why they are considered the greatest generation.

A few years ago, my Dad went back to a little village in France where they had a whole town event celebrating/remembering WWII. They had invited (I'm not quite sure how) US Vets who had been there. There were a handful of Army troops who were there and the mayor of the town celebrated our troops at the event and expressed how appreciative the whole town was for our troops to liberate their town.

dave thompson
11-11-2015, 05:25 PM
I was the first in my family to serve in the military since the Revolutionary War. While I'm a VietNam vet (only because of the time frame I was enlisted, I served my entire enlistment at Hickam AFB in Hawaii) I want to salute my son who, fresh out of high school in 2003 volunteered for the USMC, served 9 years with 3 combat tours in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan, came home whole and used the benefits provided him to enroll at Columbia University where he's now a junior studying Middle Eastern programs and is close to being fluent in Persian. Kid's got some juevos.

CSTRider
11-12-2015, 12:32 AM
I was the first in my family to serve in the military since the Revolutionary War. While I'm a VietNam vet (only because of the time frame I was enlisted, I served my entire enlistment at Hickam AFB in Hawaii) I want to salute my son who, fresh out of high school in 2003 volunteered for the USMC, served 9 years with 3 combat tours in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan, came home whole and used the benefits provided him to enroll at Columbia University where he's now a junior studying Middle Eastern programs and is close to being fluent in Persian. Kid's got some juevos.

Dave - thanks for your service, and i salute your son and his peers. Like our WWII parents, the "next greatest generation" came when our country called, and have repeatedly gone into harm's way with multiple combat tours. Best wishes for success in his studies and beyond.

Jim
retired army (1978-2000)

93legendti
11-12-2015, 07:25 AM
100 page thread on Patriots and 100 page thread on VW.

1 page thread on Veterans' Day. Oops, my post made it 2 pages.

ofcounsel
11-12-2015, 09:23 AM

Dave, Thanks to you both and congrats on your son attending Columbia.

I enlisted in the Air Force out of high school in the late 80's, and was in during the first gulf war era (a total cakewalk compared to what the post-9/11 kids have had to endure). I also attended and graduated from Columbia (law), in part using my G.I. bill and school grants.

Columbia seems unique to me among the Ivy's in that they seem to make a concerted effort to reach out and recruit talented vets. The two biggest game changers in my life were the USAF and Columbia. I'm forever appreciative of both.

rugbysecondrow
11-12-2015, 09:44 AM
My dad - who will be 91 this year, and in remarkably great shape (i think he can still split more wood than me per hour...) was also a WWII vet.

it's amazing how quickly those boys had to grow up.

it's also fairly intriguing how, though he was only in the Navy for a few years, how that time shaped his entire life from there forward.

the greatest generation.

i'm going to have a drink with him tonight!

Nearly all of my close friends were in the military, there is something high quality, character building about people who chose to work towards a cause greater than themselves There is also something trans formative about the experience, almost regardless of how you served. The fact that you did serve. That you sacrificed. That you signed on the dotted line and took the oath. That you were willing to put the country and something greater above yourself and that you actually followed through on the commitment even when it was hard. The fact that most men and women are 18-24 when they do this, it has a profound impact. I started and completed basic training while I was still 17 years old. It set me on a completely different path than the other knuckleheads I was running with.

I don't define myself by it at all, and my kids only know about it from their mother and errant stories, but it is amazing how it impacts people.

Repack Rider
11-12-2015, 10:07 PM
I was drafted in 1966. E-5, Honorable Discharge.

Ken Robb
11-12-2015, 10:15 PM
I was drafted in 1966. E-5, Honorable Discharge.

Most draftees then had a 2 year commitment. If they opted for some special training the requirement could go to 3 years or more. It would have been rare in my experience to make E-5 in less than 3 years. I'll bet you decided you wanted to volunteer for EOD because it was so much fun to blow stuff up. :-)

downtube
11-12-2015, 10:33 PM
WWII - European Theater-

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5742/22977241185_47c1f88f52_z_d.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5647/22558901208_94f9cc5b1c_z_d.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-13-2015, 06:30 AM
100 page thread on Patriots and 100 page thread on VW.

1 page thread on Veterans' Day. Oops, my post made it 2 pages.

Most civilians don't really understand anything 'military'. They see snippets on the news, some hollywood rendition of the 'military', can't really sum it up in 120 minutes.

It really is unique to want to train to 'kill people and break things', what the military is there for. Most that serve love it but the 'guy and girl' on the street really doesn't understand.

Not criticizing civilians, they actually pay for the military. I'm just glad the returning vets, and those that get out, are treated better by the 'civilians' than those in the late 60s thru early 70s..still remember that.

VA needs to get on the stick tho. Allowing Vets to see civilian Docs would help a lot.

parallelfish
11-13-2015, 08:49 AM
VA needs to get on the stick tho. Allowing Vets to see civilian Docs would help a lot.

Amen! Why can't the VA be done away with and vets be allowed to receive services from the private sector?

oldpotatoe
11-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Amen! Why can't the VA be done away with and vets be allowed to receive services from the private sector?

I don't think the solution is to 'do away with the VA'. The VA does a lot more than provide medical care. It needs to be fixed, but my experience with VA as I retired in 1993 was very positive. I think the majority of the problems results in the huge influx of returning Vets, who got out(the VA doesn't deal with active duty military byinlarge) and the organization Wasn't prepared for the numbers.

IMHO of course.

malcolm
11-13-2015, 09:08 AM
I'm a ex marine thankfully during a non combat period. I'm also in awe of the WW2 vets for many reasons and it makes me sad that they are dying off and I'm not sure the younger folks today have an appreciation for them. I believe it was a somewhat unique time and unique war.

I would also like to say I have tremendous respect for anyone that served especially those that were fired upon. Our modern young men and women are just as brave and the constant threat of death while possibly having to take human life is a stress that only those that have done it can truly understand. Hopefully at some point we'll realize the folly of war and no young person will ever have to be in those situations.

oldpotatoe
11-13-2015, 09:39 AM
I'm a ex marine thankfully during a non combat period. I'm also in awe of the WW2 vets for many reasons and it makes me sad that they are dying off and I'm not sure the younger folks today have an appreciation for them. I believe it was a somewhat unique time and unique war.

I would also like to say I have tremendous respect for anyone that served especially those that were fired upon. Our modern young men and women are just as brave and the constant threat of death while possibly having to take human life is a stress that only those that have done it can truly understand. Hopefully at some point we'll realize the folly of war and no young person will ever have to be in those situations.

Did you get kicked out? Otherwise you are a 'former Marine' and thank you for your service.

malcolm
11-13-2015, 10:34 AM
Did you get kicked out? Otherwise you are a 'former Marine' and thank you for your service.

I stand corrected and you know how much it galls a marine to be corrected by a sailor.

bobswire
11-13-2015, 10:45 AM
I pretty much skip these kinds of threads but when I read bad hype in regards to the Veterans Health Care System I have to respond. No we don't need some greedy sticky fingered civilians handling Veterans health care.
Bar none ,the best health care I've received was from Veterans Clinics. Much more thorough since we don't have to be first o.k.d by a bean counter.
I've received health care from Blue Cross and Kaiser through jobs I've had and between having to be o.k.d for procedures or having to pay deductibles I was better off not having any care (or so I thought). Anyway once I retired I applied and have been receiving care from Veterans (going on 8 years). Should have done it years and years ago but I believed all the bad hype I heard in regards to Veterans Administration Health. Should have known most of it was generated by Ins Industry and their backers.

Circa 1962:
USAF, Air Police/Security
1962-1964 SAC Altus AFB Oklahoma
1964-1966 Bein Hoa Vietnam

http://i66.tinypic.com/2lt4io6.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-13-2015, 11:00 AM
i stand corrected and you know how much it galls a marine to be corrected by a sailor.

Yes I do.....:D

dave thompson
11-13-2015, 11:26 AM
I stand corrected and you know how much it galls a marine to be corrected by a sailor.

But the Marines are a department of the Navy.... The Men's Department!

Repack Rider
11-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Most draftees then had a 2 year commitment. If they opted for some special training the requirement could go to 3 years or more. It would have been rare in my experience to make E-5 in less than 3 years. I'll bet you decided you wanted to volunteer for EOD because it was so much fun to blow stuff up.

I served in a medical outfit, MOS 92B20. The regs at the time were that you could make E-5 in under two years if you got every promotion as soon as you were eligible. I was E-5 with two months left in my hitch, and I was offered a huge re-up bonus at the new pay scale, because apparently the Army wanted to keep me.

I declined, and became a roadie for a SF rock band (http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/sons_welcome.htm) in the sixties, which was a lot more fun.

bobswire
11-13-2015, 12:57 PM
I served in a medical outfit, MOS 92B20. The regs at the time were that you could make E-5 in under two years if you got every promotion as soon as you were eligible. I was E-5 with two months left in my hitch, and I was offered a huge re-up bonus at the new pay scale, because apparently the Army wanted to keep me.

I declined, and became a roadie for a SF rock band (http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/sons_welcome.htm) in the sixties, which was a lot more fun.

No S-H-I-T! Wow, we must have past a doobie to one another. I was the back door man at the Old Fillmore (Fillmore/Geary st.) and later Fillmore West (Market/Van Ness) after my hitch in the AF.

That's me on the far right and my Brother Ray in the center (stripe t shirt) who was short order cook then later became road manager for Santana and eventually manager.
Small world.

http://i64.tinypic.com/11c9vnk.jpg

Mikej
11-13-2015, 01:01 PM
I seem to recall taxes being removed from my pay as a service member, Potatoe. So we all pay for it. Thanks to all who served!

malcolm
11-13-2015, 01:14 PM
But the Marines are a department of the Navy.... The Men's Department!

Awesome !!!

Repack Rider
11-14-2015, 10:36 AM
No S-H-I-T! Wow, we must have past a doobie to one another. I was the back door man at the Old Fillmore (Fillmore/Geary st.) and later Fillmore West (Market/Van Ness) after my hitch in the AF.

That's me on the far right and my Brother Ray in the center (stripe t shirt) who was short order cook then later became road manager for Santana and eventually manager.

Small world.[/IMG]

In December 1968 Bill Graham personally threw me out of the Fillmore, one of the four shows I missed in over 40 years of roadie service. Maybe you were the guy who executed the order from Mr. Graham; it was one of the doormen for sure.

After that incident, Bill Graham made a point of coming over and shaking my hand during the sound check of every subsequent show, and there were dozens over the next ten years. I don't even know if he knew my name, but he was always gracious.

You remember that on Tuesday nights admission was $1 and the bands were unknowns auditioning for a weekend shot.

Early 1969 some of my friends ("Bronze Hog") were playing Fillmore West on a Tuesday night. They had the bad luck to follow another unknown band, the "Santana Blues Band." Santana got the gig, my friends did not, but I was there for Santana's audition.

bobswire
11-14-2015, 11:32 PM
In December 1968 Bill Graham personally threw me out of the Fillmore, one of the four shows I missed in over 40 years of roadie service. Maybe you were the guy who executed the order from Mr. Graham; it was one of the doormen for sure.

After that incident, Bill Graham made a point of coming over and shaking my hand during the sound check of every subsequent show, and there were dozens over the next ten years. I don't even know if he knew my name, but he was always gracious.

You remember that on Tuesday nights admission was $1 and the bands were unknowns auditioning for a weekend shot.

Early 1969 some of my friends ("Bronze Hog") were playing Fillmore West on a Tuesday night. They had the bad luck to follow another unknown band, the "Santana Blues Band." Santana got the gig, my friends did not, but I was there for Santana's audition.

No that was not me who threw you out ( I think :rolleyes: ), I was the backstage doorman. Groupies had to go through me first to get backstage (the pay sucked but the perks were great). I was working that Tue night gig the Santana Blues Band played, David Brown the bass player for Santana at that time went to the same High School I did (Balboa) years before and we remembered one another.