PDA

View Full Version : How does Mei Vici compare with Legend Ti?

Manatee
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I've been riding a Legend Ti the last few years, and I love it. It's the first bike I had built to my measurements, and it's a joy to ride. I especially like the road feel of the frame -- stiff, but compliant. I usually have Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC wheels on it.

I'm thinking about having another bike built, and I was wondering how the new Mei Vici would compare with the Legend Ti. What would be the benefits -- and possible downside -- of the new carbon frame? I don't know when I'l get the chance to try the new frame somewhere, so I'd like to try to get an idea whether I should consider it.

Thanks.
Peter

Smiley
05-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Your question is too early as the first batch of MeiVici's have started to ship out. Give it some time so the owners that also have Legend Ti's and MeiVici's can chime in. For what its worth your comparing apples and oranges as they won't even be close in any point of comparison. I think the comparison that maybe of better nature is of the Meivic and the Ottrott , but that is now comparing different brands of apples maybe.

Manatee
05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Your question is too early as the first batch of MeiVici's have started to ship out. Give it some time so the owners that also have Legend Ti's and MeiVici's can chime in.
True, it'll be a while before I can get much feedback from out in the wild, but maybe some Serotta folk have some experience riding the frame -- or could at least speak for their expectations of it.

For what its worth your comparing apples and oranges as they won't even be close in any point of comparison. I think the comparison that maybe of better nature is of the Meivic and the Ottrott , but that is now comparing different brands of apples maybe.
Maybe so, but what I have now is a Legend Ti -- not an Ottrott, and thus that's what I need to compare it with. I want to get an idea of whether the ride would be as smooth as the Ti, whether the new frame is more likely to suffer from the "lifelessness" of earlier carbon frames, and of couse, what the benefits of spending the extra $4000 are likely to be. :)

Smiley
05-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Find out where the next Serotta road show will be by contacting your dealer of choice or looking at the events section of the serotta web page and get down and demo a Meivici for yourself , I know we had a 54 and 56 here at Nottrott that everybody loved .

flydhest
05-24-2006, 09:13 AM
I rode a Meivici at Nottrott, albeit in too small a size and with different components.

My Legend has a huge downtube (can you say Louisville Slugger?). It is a very stiff bike, but in a good way. Stiffer than my CSi, for example. The Meivici has all that good stiffness with the good flex or spring or whatever people want to call it. I'm someone who doesn't believe that uber-rigidity is good. With super stiff wheels, I didn't get any derailleur rub when putting in a "sprint." I'm a big guy, so this is a realistic concern for some bikes.

The Meivici is lighter and feels very, very light. I'm not just talking about mass/weight, there is a lightness to it that I've felt in other bikes, most carbon, but not all. I used the following dichotomy to describe a different bike comparison but I think it works here. The Meivici is quick whereas my Legend is fast. Alas, I am neither.

The way my Legend is designed versus the Meivici I rode (keep in mind, they're both customizable, so lots of the comparisons don't count for much) I'd rather be on the Meivici in a breakaway but I'd rather be on my Legend in the last couple kilometers of a group finish. The solidity of the Legend makes me feel comfortable going handlebar to handlebar at 35 mph.

Skrawny
05-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Does your legend have ST seatstays (carbon) or pure Ti?
-s

Manatee
05-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Does your legend have ST seatstays (carbon) or pure Ti?
-s
Mine is all Ti.

flydhest
05-24-2006, 11:43 AM
all Ti.