PDA

View Full Version : Broken SIR9 frame dropout - recommend a welder?

scharny
11-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Hey there - been lurking on here for a while - looks like a great knowledgeable community.

I recently cracked the driveside rear dropout on a Niner SIR9 frame, and it's out of warranty (only 2 year warranty on non-carbon frames).

The dropout cracked at a weak spot caused by a replaceable hangar, but I only ride it singlespeed. This is the 4th one of these I've broken, in exactly the same spot. This one lasted longer than the others.

Other than the dropout, the frame has a lot of life left in it. Does anyone know of a bike builder/welder in New England (preferably VT/NH/MA) that might be willing to weld a new set of dropouts on this thing without breaking the bank? It's too nice of a frame to throw away.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

AngryScientist
11-11-2015, 09:43 AM
i'm unfamiliar with the frame - what is the material, is it aluminum?

oldpotatoe
11-11-2015, 09:48 AM
i'm unfamiliar with the frame - what is the material, is it aluminum?

Steel..and 4th one broke?? I think I would call the gents at Niner with some righteous indignation, get a new frame, and then sell it.

But Nobilette could probably fix it but the 'fix', plus paint would probably be more than the frame is worth.

4Rings6Stars
11-11-2015, 09:51 AM
AFter trying Niner, if you still need some welding (or advice on whether or not it can be done), I would call up Frank The Welder... not too far from you in Bellows Falls, VT.

scharny
11-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Steel..and 4th one broke?? I think I would call the gents at Niner with some righteous indignation, get a new frame, and then sell it.

But Nobilette could probably fix it but the 'fix', plus paint would probably be more than the frame is worth.

2 year warranty, frame is 4-5 years old. No exceptions. Plus I don't have proof of purchase and dealer closed up shop and left town. I am done with Niner. Very pretty bikes that ride very nicely, but they just don't make durable frames.

scharny
11-11-2015, 02:32 PM
AFter trying Niner, if you still need some welding (or advice on whether or not it can be done), I would call up Frank The Welder... not too far from you in Bellows Falls, VT.

Thanks, that is good advice!