PDA

View Full Version : 66 mm Water Bottles?

sspielman
05-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Normally I am a great proponent of adhering to standards with regard to cycling products.....needless to say, I often feel like I am playing on a losing team as of late. Certainly one would think that an area that could be left alone would be the diameter of a waterbottle...Yet 5-6 years ago, Elite saw fit to introduce a smaller diameter bottle (66 mm vs. 74 mm standard). Touted as benefits were aerodynamics, easier handling, etc....My initial reaction was that it was an unneeded "new and improved" idea. However,several years ago, I was given a pair of the cages and a few bottles as a "souvenir". When I began to use them, I found that I found the reduced diameter to be quite agreeable. Since that time, I have not bought a single standard bottle cage or bottle. I have not found the lack of interchangeability to be a problem at all. I have amassed quite a stash of spare bottles from attending pro races.....after the race, once used bottles are readily available for the asking. I still am suprised at how much this crazy little item has improved my cycling "quality of life"...crazy, but you never know....add it to the list of quirks.....

Ray
05-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Glad someone likes em. But I'll take the extra ounces over the smaller size any time. But the aerodynamics are just KILLING me :cool:

-Ray

Argos
05-24-2006, 07:36 AM
I'm right there with you. Also about 5 years.

They never fall out, hold plenty of water, look more proportional to the tubes of the bike, and you never have to worry about mixing up bottles with people.

Now, and I know this sounds silly, when I'm riding with people, I just can't believe how big their waterbottles look!