PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite road pedals...

terrytnt
05-24-2006, 06:52 AM
I'm equipping a new Ottrott with campy record and am down to the pedals. Used DA for years, but wondered if there's something new or improved. Also, what about Record's pedals... doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about these???

thanks everyone...

sspielman
05-24-2006, 06:58 AM
Time is the king of pedals. The new RXS series of pedals hits all of the high points. Personally, I prefer the previous Impact Mag model used with the new RXS cleat....It was just a little slicker in function.

ergott
05-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Have a set of Records. Love them. Recently I went to Eggbeaters just out of curiosity. Call me lazy, call me a poser, but I really like the convenience. They are no brainers to clip into (not that road pedals are hard), and I like using my mtn shoe on the road for my more casual rides.

Dr. Doofus
05-24-2006, 07:10 AM
time impact

like turbo 4s, doof has a stash of em now

Big Dan
05-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Time Equipes-7 pairs..... :cool:

sspielman
05-24-2006, 07:29 AM
time impact

like turbo 4s, doof has a stash of em now

Yo, Simoni seems to prefer the Impacts as well.........

Ray
05-24-2006, 07:57 AM
They ALL have different sorts of float. Some people don't much care one way or the other. Some do. I do. I've used Speedplay, Campy, Look, Shimano (the new ones), and every sort of mtb pedal. My favorite thus far has been Look. I'm trying a set of Times (newest generation, second from the bottom) at the moment and I'm cautiously optimistic. Key differences:

Speedplay - totally free float, unrestricted, pivots around the ball of the foot (assuming that's where you set the cleat up). I used to love these - now they kill my knees. Really easy in and out. Terrible for walking unless you go with Frogs which ride identically but use an mtb shoe, in which case awesome for walking. Not a huge feeling platform - foot can rock back and forth a bit.

Campy - very slippery float, like Speedplay, but much more restricted range of motion. I also found these to be a PIA getting in and out of. Pretty small platform too - I didn't find much to like here. Pretty bad for walking.

Look - my favorite so far. Float is a nice medium amount and is not at all spring loaded - it doesn't pull you back to center. But there's enough friction between the cleat and pedal that it doesn't give you that crazy slippery as ice feeling that you get with Speedplay. You can easily move your foot to a position you like, but it doesn't move unless you want it to. I like this, some don't. Pivots from a fixed toe with the rear of the cleat moving. Pretty bad for walking unless you use the cleat cover. Very large feeling platform. The lack of walkability is the ONLY downside I've found with these. Stack height is high, which bothers some people but doesn't bother me. YMMV. Haven't tried the Keo, but I've heard they're similar except lighter and less stack height. If the Times don't work out, I'll probably try Keo.

Shimano - Very similar to Look except, on the good side, the cleat is way more walkable, and, on the bad side (for me at least), the cleat is fixed in back and the toe moves back and forth. For some reason, this type of float messed with my knees. If you don't have this problem, this is a great pedal. I wish they worked for me. Nice large stable feeling platform. Not quite as easy in and out as Look, Time, or Speedplay, but easy enough - no problem here.

Time - Good platform, easy in and out, very reliable, pretty walkable too. All good so far but jury still out on the float. It's self-centering, spring loaded. You can adjust the spring really light so it's almost hard to tell its self centering. There's supposed to be a couple mm of lateral float, but damn if I can feel it. From what I can tell, the float is around the ball of the foot and the toe engagement is just to guide you into the pedal - it doesn't hold you in though - the rear metal piece does all of that. I've had knee problems with their mtb pedals because of the self-centering float. The light setting on the road pedals seems to be ok with my knees, but I haven't been using them long enough to tell. If your knees are ok, this is a great system.

Personal (highly) verdict - If they'd make the Look cleat more walkable per the Shimano and Time approach, it would be my perfect pedal. As is, it's good enough. The Time may be good enough too if my knees agree. Time'll tell.

You will undoubtedly prefer something different, but maybe this'll help you sort 'em out.

-Ray

buechse
05-24-2006, 08:06 AM
I was happy woth Look so far... but went for Time RSE for my new Nove. I'm very happy with them. They are cheap but very good!

catulle
05-24-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm equipping a new Ottrott with campy record and am down to the pedals. Used DA for years, but wondered if there's something new or improved. Also, what about Record's pedals... doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about these???

thanks everyone...

I have Record pedals on all my bikes and I think they are just fine. I haven't had any other so I couldn't compare. But if it works, don't waste your money, atmo.

Grant McLean
05-24-2006, 08:15 AM

thanks everyone...

Carbon and Titanium together?
Sounds like a perfect match!

g

Manatee
05-24-2006, 08:25 AM
I've used almost everything, and I'm currently using the new Look Keo pedals. I like them a lot.

I used SpeedPlay for a couple of years, and really liked them, but I always had issues unclipping from them, and I was always making a mess of the complicated cleats.

chrisroph
05-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Impacts, perfection in operation, I've got 10 or 11 pair.

alancw3
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
i really like speedplay x2's. i am a tall guy with large feet (size13) but have had no problem with the speedplay's, other big guys seem to feel they have a short spindle though. i like the two sided entry and the feedom of rotation much like that of toe clips. only downside is that cleats tend to be expensive but do last about a year.

rpm
05-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Personal (highly) verdict - If they'd make the Look cleat more walkable per the Shimano and Time approach, it would be my perfect pedal. As is, it's good enough. The Time may be good enough too if my knees agree. Time'll tell.

-Ray

Cleat covers make Looks the most walkable road cleats out there. I commute to work everyday and carry my bike up a couple of flights of stairs with my covered Looks. I wouldn't go hiking in my road shoes, but I always carry my cleat covers, and they're great for rest stops, short trips to the grocery store, and the like. The covers take just a few seconds to put on and work great.

Johny
05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Anything made by TIME.

GoJavs
05-24-2006, 03:05 PM
My conversion over to time is under way...I still have some LOOKS which are ok as well...

72gmc
05-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Currently liking my Candys very much. Versatile, fine float, and no hot spots that a new insole couldn't fix. If I were in the market for a road-only pedal I'd look into the Quattros, or something from Time. The old red Time Criterium was my first serious clipless pedal--it worked well for me and was stout as a battleship.

Headwinds
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Anything made by TIME.

Same here... Have never used anything but time.

Well, Shimano [Look] a long while back!

Carbon and Titanium together?
Sounds like a perfect match!

Yeah, one reason I like the Ottrott so much!!!

William
05-24-2006, 03:44 PM
i really like speedplay x2's. i am a tall guy with large feet (size13) but have had no problem with the speedplay's, other big guys seem to feel they have a short spindle though. i like the two sided entry and the feedom of rotation much like that of toe clips. only downside is that cleats tend to be expensive but do last about a year.

I wear 15's and I still love my Speedplays. :banana:

William

PS: Though I'm going to throw some Eggbeaters on the Effin Cross bike when it gets here.

Bruce
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Bebop. Walkability depends on the shoe, not the cleat/pedal. I don't know why more people don't understand this. I have walkable shoes with Look cleats on them. I have road shoes for the Bebops, and you can still walk on the cleat. It does not get gummed up with dirt like Speedplays. The cleat is all metal, so will not wear like plastic cleats. I lube them every so often, and they work great. I am still on my second pair of cleats after 4 years, and I think I would still be on the first pair of cleats if I lubed regularly.

Also, the Bebop is the lightest steal axle pedal made, and only about 10 grams heavier than the lightest Ti (read breakable axle) pedals made.

Double sided, repairable, positive click engagement, no weight limits, lots of float, easy disengage in either direction and easy to get into.

What else is there?

Fixed
05-24-2006, 04:50 PM
bro Ive only used look and speedplay of those 2 i like look best
oh yeah mine are fixed
cheers

jerk
05-24-2006, 05:26 PM
it doesn't matter; anything without float and a moderate to large sized platform works fine. just don't change once you get used to the stack height...

jerk

97CSI
05-24-2006, 06:19 PM
it doesn't matter; anything without float and a moderate to large sized platform works fine. just don't change once you get used to the stack height...jerkAmen.....rode with Record ProFit for a couple of years. Very nice pedal. But, decided to go back to the original SPD as I have never had a 'hot-spot' problem with them and now use the Mg/Ti Forte Pro pedal (200g/set). Easy-in, easy-out and work great for me. Small, light and efficient. Starting to be a problem finding a road shoe that takes an SPD cleat, though. Go with the Record to match your group. They are excellent pedals and that's what I'll do once I can no longer get shoes that work with SPD cleats.

sellsworth
05-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I've used Speedplay X/2s for years and decided to go with the Dura Ace "Lance" pedal this year. I just did the Davis Double with the Dura Ace pedals and my knees were really, really sore afterwards. The sore knee issue is the reason I went to Speedplays in the first place - so I just put them back on. I've never had sore knees with the X/2s. I like the feel of the Dura Ace pedals better but I like happy knees even more.

terrytnt
05-24-2006, 07:02 PM
You guys (ladies) are terrific. Thanks for all the superb advice. You've given me several options to consider....

What a great resource :beer: !!!

kgatwork
05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Time Equipes-7 pairs..... :cool:

Heavy by todays standards but I like em too. :)

Elefantino
05-24-2006, 07:49 PM

Cleats last only a year?

I do between 4-5K miles a year and I'm on my third year with both of my pairs of cleats.

Two cleat-saving words: "coffee covers" ... Every time I walk in 'em. Covers cost $10. Cleats cost $36.

BillyBear
05-27-2006, 12:02 AM
eggbeater quattros....I have 8 pairs of runner ups from look, speedplay, shimano,campy, and time

Ray
05-27-2006, 04:55 AM
FWIW, my switch to Time (from Look) seems to be going fine. I've done a couple of 35-40 milers and a metric with them. It took a ride to get the cleat position really dialed, but no complaints at all once I did. There's not much free float at all, but if the cleat is right, that's OK. The engagement and disengagement is really smooth and easy and they feel really solid. I guess I'd still slightly prefer the float of the Looks, but not enough to matter.

On the off-chance anyone else is contemplating the same thing...

-Ray

Kevin
05-27-2006, 05:01 AM
Speedplays. Easy entry and comfortable.

Kevin

mike p
05-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I always used the old DA look style pedal with black cleats and never had a problem pulling out. I had about 4 pair. Have now started converting over to new DA very nice pedal with very positive in and out and I have not been able to pull out with the fixed cleats. MP money though, for a stinken pedal.

Mike

zeus
05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I sold my Time RXS pedals due to the smallish nature of the platform.
Sure, their light, but the pedals themselves proved way too small and unsupportive for my larger feet.
Compare how narrow they are to a Look or an SPD SL pedal and you'll appreciate why some find a larger pedal more stable and comfortable.
P

djg
05-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I've been happy with Look, which is easy in and out, while still having good hold (in the better models), dependable, and a nice big platform. Haven't tried all the latest and greatest, although I've tried a couple of alternatives, and also have some mtb pedals (Time). I've been using the Look CX-7s for a few years now. The recommendations of the cleat covers are useful--these are cheap and light and go easily in a jersey pocket. They make a huge difference in situations where you have to walk a little, and they make the cleats last much longer too.

Tony Edwards
05-28-2006, 09:42 AM
I have the Shimano "Lance pedals" on both of my road bikes - D/A on the primary and Ultegra on the backup. I moved to them several years ago after using Looks for many years. On balance I slightly preferred the float of the Looks, but the cleat design on the Shimanos is so superior that I have no regrets. I've always been very pleased with them.