PDA

View Full Version : Going 1x XX

jambee
11-10-2015, 03:27 PM
I've been thinking about changing gears in my trusty Hunter off road tourer. 1x10 or 1x11 with a big enough range seems like a clean way to go and I'm ready to go SRAM even.

But...I'd like to use an many components I already have as possible. The bike has a decent CK ISO wheel set running shimano ultegra cassette with White Industies crank. So...
1. Can I use a SRAM 11 speed cassette here? If not, will a 10 speed cassette work?
2. Are there specific levers to look for? (I remember Eric posting something about CX1 in the cheap).
3. Is taking off the small ring on my cranks the way to go?

Any advise will be much appreciated.

sulfate125
11-10-2015, 03:32 PM
You should let us know what gear range you currently have and what you are looking for.

jambee
11-10-2015, 03:35 PM
The widest range is the best. Right now I'm running something silly like 40/22 on the front and ultegra 10 biggest cassette (up to 30 I believe). The real reason to look into such a set up is:
Get rid of bar end shifters
Maintain decent range even when riding with from porteour rack loaded.
Ease taking this Hunter breakaway to pieces.

Thanks!

eBAUMANN
11-10-2015, 03:47 PM
I've been thinking about changing gears in my trusty Hunter off road tourer. 1x10 or 1x11 with a big enough range seems like a clean way to go and I'm ready to go SRAM even.

But...I'd like to use an many components I already have as possible. The bike has a decent CK ISO wheel set running shimano ultegra cassette with White Industies crank. So...
1. Can I use a SRAM 11 speed cassette here? If not, will a 10 speed cassette work?
2. Are there specific levers to look for? (I remember Eric posting something about CX1 in the cheap).
3. Is taking off the small ring on my cranks the way to go?

Any advise will be much appreciated.

1 - you can use a shimano MTB 11 speed cassette but not sram 11 on an ISO (classic) king hub. this would give you a huge gear range (up to 40 or 42t).

2 - you can use any sram 11 speed shifters with any sram 10/11 speed MTB rd. I would recommend a sram GX medium or long cage (depending on the gear combo you go for).

3 - youll probably be OK just using the 40t you have if you arent doing too much off-road riding, but if you are, I would consider buying a narrow-wide front chainring, wolftoothcomponents.com or a cheap(er) raceface ring would do the trick.

jambee
11-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Thanks Eric!

I'm not a big shimano fan, so am I to conclude that the option would be to use SRAM 10 speed 1x10 (with that wifli DR) and possibly get a smaller front chain? Using any SRAM levers will work?

eBAUMANN
11-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks Eric!

I'm not a big shimano fan, so am I to conclude that the option would be to use SRAM 10 speed 1x10 (with that wifli DR) and possibly get a smaller front chain? Using any SRAM levers will work?

If you dont care about 11 speed, I would recommend a 11-32t cassette, medium cage RD (apex/rival/etc), and any sram 10 speed road levers. A 38 or 40t ring would work well with that combo.

That said, I would also recommend getting a medium or short cage X9 or GX type 2 clutch rd and a narrow wide ring. That combo is really a huge part of what makes 1x such a great drivetrain. With a short cage mtb RD you would be able to use up to 36t (or maybe larger) in the rear with up to 40t in the front. With a medium cage mtb rd you could go even larger in the rear.

ofcounsel
11-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Nevermind.

jambee
11-11-2015, 12:23 AM
@admins
sorry, no idea why I posted this here when my brain clearly said "General section". Please reposition the post.

Cornfed
11-11-2015, 12:31 AM
... since you're going SRAM anyway:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=176700&highlight=SRAM+Force