PDA

View Full Version : Winter blues - computrainer setup

54ny77
11-10-2015, 12:56 PM
While I'd generally rather gouge my eyes out with a hot tire iron than ride indoors on a trainer, sometimes I gotta do what I gotta do...

Am trying to put together my old Computrainer, and feel like a caveman who just walked into the 21st century. Are there any good online sources for setup help? I've searched a little bit on the forum here but there's nothing specific I could find on the step by step. I'd like to try those ergvideos too, and am wondering if I can somehow record a ride along with elevation gain and wattage, so as to replicate the workout with power.

djg21
11-10-2015, 02:13 PM
While I'd generally rather gouge my eyes out with a hot tire iron than ride indoors on a trainer, sometimes I gotta do what I gotta do...

Am trying to put together my old Computrainer, and feel like a caveman who just walked into the 21st century. Are there any good online sources for setup help? I've searched a little bit on the forum here but there's nothing specific I could find on the step by step. I'd like to try those ergvideos too, and am wondering if I can somehow record a ride along with elevation gain and wattage, so as to replicate the workout with power.

What do you need to do with the setup? All the manuals and instructions are available at https://www.racermateinc.com/help-center-faq/ and https://www.racermateinc.com/manuals/

If you have unanswered questions, you can try: http://www.racermate.net/forum/index.php. The forum hasn't been particularly active since RacerMateOne came out of beta, but there is a lot of info available.

Regarding Ergvideos, go to the Ergvideo website: http://ergvideo.com

Regarding the creation of courses to use with the Computrainer 3D software, there were/are ways to do it, but I've never bothered so I can really tell you how. There was course creator software available at one time. Check the Computrainer forum.

You may also want to check out Zwift. http://zwift.com. It's now out of beta, but you can do a trial. It works nicely with Computrainer!

54ny77
11-10-2015, 02:16 PM
djg that's hugely helpful and exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

thanks a ton.

djg21
11-10-2015, 02:27 PM
djg that's hugely helpful and exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

thanks a ton.

You might also want to check out Trainer Road. https://www.trainerroad.com

I've not used it, but many seem to use it with Zwift and it generally gets good reviews.

54ny77
11-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Cool. I'm not looking to "train" for anything so I don't need any of that kind of stuff. Instead am just looking to get an hour or so ride indoors that has varying wattage/pseudo terrain, because I just plain hate riding in anything below 40. Especially in the dark (mornings). :bike:

You might also want to check out Trainer Road. https://www.trainerroad.com

I've not used it, but many seem to use it with Zwift and it generally gets good reviews.

malcolm
11-10-2015, 03:53 PM
I've used computrainer and ergvideo for years. When I started using the erg video it was because the computrainer software sucked. I've heard it's much better now. That said Paul with erg video a Canadian company is awesome and he is very helpful with set up and any problem you may have. Just give him a call.

shovelhd
11-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Cool. I'm not looking to "train" for anything so I don't need any of that kind of stuff. Instead am just looking to get an hour or so ride indoors that has varying wattage/pseudo terrain, because I just plain hate riding in anything below 40. Especially in the dark (mornings). :bike:

That's exactly what Zwift gives you, and much more.

djg21
11-10-2015, 05:11 PM

I'd suggest skipping Ergvideo. I love Ergvideos and own a bunch of them that I use regularly. But they are definitely Erg-based workouts. In other words, you are forced to output a certain number of watts (based on FTP) irrespective of cadence. If your cadence drops, the load goes up so you stay at the required output. This doesn't feel like pedaling on the road, as it is difficult to maintain a high cadence when doing hard intervals.

I'd recommend Zwift for what you want to do.

54ny77
11-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Cool, thanks. I just looked at their website. Mike McCarthy works there. Wonder if it's the same ex-pro McCarthy? If so, funny story: I ran into him one day riding on 9W heading into Englewood (it was more like he caught me). He had recently retired and was out for a spin, we knew some of the same cast of characters of that era and had a fun chat about it all. He was getting set to head out west to go be a broker at Montgomery (Weisel), which probably meant he finally had a real job that paid decent money instead of the meager existence of a pro during that time.

That's exactly what Zwift gives you, and much more.

shovelhd
11-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Yes, it is him.

54ny77
11-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Malcom do I need the computrainer software to run ergvideo? I can't find my Racermate software CD, and would like to know if I even need it.

The pricing models for this stuff are interesting. Zwift and Trainerroad about $10-12/mo., vs. $40-60 per ergvideo.

I've used computrainer and ergvideo for years. When I started using the erg video it was because the computrainer software sucked. I've heard it's much better now. That said Paul with erg video a Canadian company is awesome and he is very helpful with set up and any problem you may have. Just give him a call.

djg21
11-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Malcom do I need the computrainer software to run ergvideo? I can't find my Racermate software CD, and would like to know if I even need it.

The pricing models for this stuff are interesting. Zwift and Trainerroad about $10-12/mo., vs. $40-60 per ergvideo.

No. Ergvideo uses its own software player. You might want to contact Racermate and inquire about getting RacerMateOne. It us much better than the older software.

kramnnim
11-13-2015, 09:03 PM
I have ~20 Tacx RLVs and haven't used any of them in months. Over 4,000 miles on Zwift...

malcolm
11-14-2015, 09:21 AM
No. Ergvideo uses its own software player. You might want to contact Racermate and inquire about getting RacerMateOne. It us much better than the older software.

This is accurate.

Erg software takes over and runs the computrainer. It works very well and Paul is very customer oriented.

I've not used the new racer mate software but have heard it is much improved. A friend has trained for two iron man tris using only the computrainer for the bike and racer mate software.

Erg videos has most of the famous european climbs and can produce some really nice training programs and interval programs. I suspect the new racer mate stuff can too but I've not used it.

54ny77
11-14-2015, 09:31 AM
thanks a bunch. have ordered it and will see how things go.

i haven't really touched this thing (the ct) since '09 or so. talk about spider webs!

will likely pose some more questions here once the physical setup is done. thanks all for your tips & suggestions.

This is accurate.

Erg software takes over and runs the computrainer. It works very well and Paul is very customer oriented.

I've not used the new racer mate software but have heard it is much improved. A friend has trained for two iron man tris using only the computrainer for the bike and racer mate software.

Erg videos has most of the famous european climbs and can produce some really nice training programs and interval programs. I suspect the new racer mate stuff can too but I've not used it.

54ny77
12-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Well it's only been a year, so i'm back to "likely pose some more questions"...

Can you guys running Zwift with a Racermate post pics of your setup?

Am feeling more like a caveman lawyer here, don't even know what Ant+ is, let alone a dongle. Ants are something I kill in the house, and a dongle is, well, urban dictionary has some unique definitions. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

thanks a bunch. have ordered it and will see how things go.

i haven't really touched this thing (the ct) since '09 or so. talk about spider webs!

will likely pose some more questions here once the physical setup is done. thanks all for your tips & suggestions.