PDA

View Full Version : chris king R45 hubs - a lockring Q ?

AngryScientist
11-10-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm interested in dissecting a rumor that i've heard various times, but have not been able to substantiate.

why do people think CK hubs need CK lockrings?

i've got a few CK hubs in play that are just using standard shimano or campy lockrings. concerned with this on a new wheelset i got, last night i just installed a 5800 cassette on a CK R45 hub using the supplied shimano 5800 lockring.

is there any situation where a CK specific lockring is required, because if there is, i have not yet found it???

:confused:

FlashUNC
11-10-2015, 08:25 AM
The Campy R45s don't play well with Campy lockrings. Need the King one if you want the full coverage on that final cog. Not sure what the Shimano one looks like on there, but I wasn't totally comfortable riding the Campy one on the R45s.

One of the many reasons I sold my wheels with those hubs...

mecse
11-10-2015, 08:25 AM
I don't know either.

The manual very clearly states:
We
recommend using our aluminum or Ti cassette lock rings when installing 9, 10,
and 11 speed drivetrains.

so there is that. To be honest I don't know what the deal is.

AngryScientist
11-10-2015, 08:29 AM
i can take a picture later today, but with both the campy and shimano lock rings, there is no difference that i can see with other hubs. i know for a fact i've got several thousand trouble free miles on a campy 11 CK r45's.

strange.

FlashUNC
11-10-2015, 09:23 AM
To be fair, I was still using 10 speed Campy at the time. And the 10 spd lockring did not seem to work quite right with the King freehub. Definitely didn't cover the 13t cog the same way.

Likes2ridefar
11-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Th ck lockring has more threads. I recall awhile ago I could not get a standard shimano lockring to work when I first went to ten speed.
Edit, it was a classic hub probably around 2006

vav
11-10-2015, 01:34 PM
FWIW I haven't had any trouble with my CKr45s and Shimano 10 speed lockring.

velomonkey
11-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Rumor?????? OK, hopefully this settles this matter once and for all.

Little ol' me went down and took off my 11 speed cassette and CK lock ring. I tried a campy lock ring - it would not even come close to threading - zero chance of mistaking the two. I'm a monkey though, I have limited mechanical skill, opposable thumbs are lacking and often I try to put squares into round holes. So . . . .

So I called Chris King and spoke to a gentleman named Guy. He told me you could not, in fact, use campy lock rings with the R45 hubs and they made their lock ring due to the difference in their bearing sizes. You could, however, use Shimano lock rings on Shimano, but not Campy on Campy.

I'd love to see some photo proof of Campy lock rings on a Campy R45. If you are unable to get that photo I would love to see some photo proof of big foot, yeti or nessi.

AngryScientist
11-10-2015, 01:46 PM
I'd love to see some photo proof of Campy lock rings on a Campy R45. If you are unable to get that photo I would love to see some photo proof of big foot, yeti or nessi.

i'm at work, but i'll have that first photo tonight. i do not have a photographic memory, but i did look at just that set-up last night in my basement, so i know i can produce it.

big foot is real, i just havent been able to get that photo yet.

parallelfish
11-10-2015, 01:56 PM
King utilizes a larger freehub bearing in Campagnolo specific hubs for increased durability. As a result the King freehub body has a larger bore (compared to a standard Campagnolo freehub body), requiring the larger lock ring.

The Shimano lock ring fits fine on the Shimano specific King hubs.

(looks like I was slow to the draw)

velomonkey
11-10-2015, 02:19 PM
i know for a fact i've got several thousand trouble free miles on a campy 11 CK r45's.

Utilizing analytical skills I acquired in my post college degree I surmise one of two scenerios

1. You rode a bike with campy drivetrain but on Shimano R45 wheels and a shimano 11 speed cassette and a shimano lock ring - which will work, but is not a Campy R45 wheel.

2. You did get several thousand miles on a Campy R45, but with the requisite CK lock ring but you are conflicting the two since you just installed a new shimano cassette on a Shimano R45 with a shimano lock ring.

It's one of those or you have some awesome kinetic power and can meld metal with your mind and got the lock rings to work in which case I will for sure take photographic proof of that over the campy lock ring.

AngryScientist
11-10-2015, 02:26 PM
you have me second guessing what i think i saw last night, and my memory is beginning to fuzz over. i'll check when i get home tonight to confirm!

velomonkey
11-10-2015, 02:41 PM
you have me second guessing what i think i saw last night, and my memory is beginning to fuzz over. i'll check when i get home tonight to confirm!

In my head I believe it to be one of the two scenarios I laid out.

In my heart I want to believe that you are Magneto's cousin Bendeto.

adrien
11-10-2015, 03:50 PM
The King ring has more threads, and feels more secure as a result. Does it make a difference? Dunno.

I've run 12-tooth and 11-tooth with the corresponding SRAM and shimano rings, and it's been mostly fine. I did have an issue with a cassette coming loose over time with the shimano lock ring, so I bought a King ring. No issues since.

r_mutt
11-10-2015, 09:42 PM
The Campagnolo 11 speed lock ring absolutely does not fit an Campagnolo 11 speed R45 hub. I've tried.

velomonkey
11-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Bump for a photo!!!!!!!

Daveyk
11-11-2015, 03:04 PM
This just happened to me with Classic hub. Came loose after a 100 miles or so. Now I need to tighten and will use the CK lock ring instead of shimano.
Could have been a poor install by me to start with. I am a hack.

I've run 12-tooth and 11-tooth with the corresponding SRAM and shimano rings, and it's been mostly fine. I did have an issue with a cassette coming loose over time with the shimano lock ring, so I bought a King ring. No issues since.

velomonkey
11-12-2015, 12:29 PM
OK, we gotta close this out so we can help to settle this matter and populate the board with answers so if people search they find the proper answer.

Here it is, the definitive CK lock ring R45 answer(s)

1. Use the CK lock ring for the ultimate performance and be done. Don't want to then here are your choices.

* You can use a shimano lock ring on a shimano R45, not ideal but it will work relatively worry-free

* you can NOT use a campy lock ring on a campy R45 - go and try, it won't fit though so use the dang CK lock ring.