PDA

View Full Version : Tubular sealant question

bikerboy337
11-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Picked up a new set of Tubular wheels with tires glued on. I was planning to install orange seal in the tires but the valve stem is short and has the valve installed in the short portion in the wheel, with a tune extender over it... So there is no way to remove the valve core...(or even access it as these are 45mm Carbon wheels). So I can't install the orange seal, can I?

Any way to do this without taking the tire off? I'd like to run orange seal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
11-10-2015, 05:59 AM
Picked up a new set of Tubular wheels with tires glued on. I was planning to install orange seal in the tires but the valve stem is short and has the valve installed in the short portion in the wheel, with a tune extender over it... So there is no way to remove the valve core...(or even access it as these are 45mm Carbon wheels). So I can't install the orange seal, can I?

You can try to push it past the valve but I haven't been successful doing that.
Made a huge mess.

I really get very few flats with tubies, even before sealant..I'd say ride it. then pretreat the next tire.

Coalfield
11-10-2015, 06:50 AM
Yeah you're stuck. How well are the tires glued?

bikerboy337
11-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Glued really well, so I'll likely just ride em till they're done.

Will Pit Stop work in this case?

jc031699
11-10-2015, 06:59 AM
When the tire is flat, the valve stays open. So you can push the valve to release all of the air using a spoke. With Caffelatex at least, this allows the sealant to be injected easily even with the valve core in place. I usually place sealant with the valve core out, but this works in a pinch.

jonnyBgood
11-10-2015, 09:19 AM
I have a few sets of tubulars and half have removable cores. In thoughs wheels I've installed some sealant.... The others I just run without.

Like Old Potatoe mentioned and in my case I've gotten very few flats (three in the last two years) on my tubulars and I always carry a can of the Vittoria Pit Stop and a CO2 inflator in case I do get a flat.

Sometimes on long rides I'll carry a spare tubular with me (not too aften)

Did you find some Brake Pads yet??

echappist
11-10-2015, 11:14 AM

also make sure the tubular has latex inner tubes. much more PITA dealing with aftermaths of a butyl tube filled with sealants

i also happened to have something almost the same happen to me: bought a 45 mm zipp 303 having Conti Competition installed and an "open ended" extender. ended up removing about 1/3 of the tire from the rim to swap out extenders so that i can inject sealants. You can probably take off the "open ended" extender as is, which requires you to remove less tire from the rim bed.

thwart
11-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Glued really well, so I'll likely just ride em till they're done.

Will Pit Stop work in this case?

Yep, designed to work with the valve core in place. However PitStop won't work for 'good-sized' holes in your tire... then again, pre-installed sealant frequently won't either.

Plan B: a spare tubular or (avoid at all costs :rolleyes:) a call home.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Yep, designed to work with the valve core in place. However PitStop won't work for 'good-sized' holes in your tire... then again, pre-installed sealant frequently won't either.

Plan B: a spare tubular or (avoid at all costs :rolleyes:) a call home.

I hope you carry a preglued spare anyway...the cool kids do. Wrapped properly beneath your saddle with a Binda or Campagnolo toe strap.