PDA

View Full Version : Todays the big day boys!

flyingscot
05-24-2006, 03:01 AM
Let the fun begin:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006//giro06/?id=stages/giro0617

BumbleBeeDave
05-24-2006, 06:17 AM
. . . as saying nowq the race will truly be decided because before now the climbs weren't hard enough!

I believe he tried this kind of trash talk with Lance and it didn't work then either. Doesn't he ever learn?

Maybe too many coca sweets from his aunt . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

Elefantino
05-24-2006, 06:20 AM
And I have to say that I has thus far been more than impressed with Mr. Basso. Yesterday he pulled away, smiling. Really smiling. That's something that even Lance never did.

That's not to say he's better than Lance, so calm down. But he is certainly a great heir. It's been fun to watch him shred Cunego.

I hope he doubles. I'll still root for Ullrich, probably secretly, but
Basso is just so exhilarating.

(Fawn)

flyingscot
05-24-2006, 07:20 AM
The little prince certainly appears to have lost his sparkle

Agree that Basso is becoming Lance like in his apparent mastery of his rivals
The way he let Simoni have a little attack and then calmy pedalled back up to him was sole destroying

If Jan shows up in shape (and my fingers and toes are crossed) we could see fireworks

Argos
05-24-2006, 07:24 AM
I think what Simoni was refering to was the Brutalness of today's climb, in the sense that the others were very hard, but not the extreme pitch where his [lack of] size gives him an advantage over all-rounders like Basso.

I wonder how they are gonna film it. It's so steep, you think that it'll have to be by Helicopter with the occaisional shoulder mounted camera on a guy standing at the side of the road.

It's probably too steep for the Motorcycles.

Yay!

dbrk
05-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I wonder if any of them will have the sense to ride up this unpaved road on a nice pair of 650B...

dbr[amble]k

theprep
05-24-2006, 07:48 AM
It still is going to be brutal, but they fixed up the worst sections of road pretty well. Here is a before and after of a corner that looked impossible on a road bike just a few days ago. Velonews has a bunch more photos.

Onno
05-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Quote from cycling news:
14:42 CEST
It's three degrees at the top of the mountain and our reporter Anthony Tan has abandoned his car after it got bogged in the mud. He says that the whole last dirt/gravel section has become mud and if it's not cancelled we might very well see a rider protest during this stage. So far there is no news of any shortening of the course but we still have some time left before the riders start this climb.

If it's mud up there, there's no way they'll be able to ride it.

Bud
05-24-2006, 07:54 AM
From the Velo News ticker:

>>2:17 PM Well, ignore that profile...
... at least part of it. The race has been routed around the Passo delle Erbe, so we won't see that double whammy, but there will still be the finishing climb up to Kronplatz.

sspielman
05-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, the idiot organisers will learn a lesson today....the weather has moved in and there will be NO WAY that they will be able to complete the stage. At the start of the stage, it was snowing at the summit and the steep gravel section at the end was a muddy quagmire.

Onno
05-24-2006, 08:14 AM
They're cycling in the rain, with a church bell tolling ominously in the background.

Remember, folks, you can watch it live, free, and in Italian, at
http://www.media.rai.it/mpmedia/0,,Sport^4292,00.html

dbrk
05-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Well, the idiot organisers will learn a lesson today....the weather has moved in and there will be NO WAY that they will be able to complete the stage. At the start of the stage, it was snowing at the summit and the steep gravel section at the end was a muddy quagmire.

Smooth pavement the whole race? What would be interesting about that? Is not the race about surmounting all conditions?

I'm not being contentious to sspielman nor defending race organizers, just putting a good word in for a race that makes their skinny race tires look like a problem under these circumstances. Now if they took away the riders' radios and made them change their own flats I'd really be interested.

db[anach]r[onism]k

atmo
05-24-2006, 08:15 AM

when men were men -

Headwinds
05-24-2006, 08:29 AM
I believe he tried this kind of trash talk with Lance and it didn't work then either. Doesn't he ever learn?

In defense of the the big mouthed dude, the almighty Lance never did the Giro... I think that's what the Italian press was emphasizing every time Gibo talked. So he accomplished his mission: I want some press! I want some attention!

As I said before, I see the big mouth in second place in Milano...

In other matters, I am dissapointed that they have changed the course because of the weather AGAIN. I wonder why they didn't do it when Andy won the Giro. Was it because there were no Italians in the lead?

Headwinds
05-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Smooth pavement the whole race? What would be interesting about that? Is not the race about surmounting all conditions?
db[anach]r[onism]k

Mr. Ramble,

The problem is that some of our forum audience never saw pictures of the old days racing, when it was about the rider, not the equipment or the blah, blah, blah.... Remember the reason the quick release was invented?

I am not advocating that today's riders fix their forks or that they change flats, but c'mon!
Look... Bartali near the support car in the '40's. But, what's with all these radios, and GPSs, and this and that!

BumbleBeeDave
05-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Lance never did the Giro. I was referring to his remarks about the upcoming Tours when Lance was doing those.

BBD

chrisroph
05-24-2006, 09:02 AM
when men were men -

Yeah baby. What a great photo. I've got to get that poster. Where are they available?

dbrk
05-24-2006, 09:03 AM
The problem is that some of our forum audience never saw pictures of the old days racing, when it was about the rider, not the equipment or the blah, blah, blah.... Remember the reason the quick release was invented?...snip!

Headwindspal, so true but I take it further...'cause why not? The amazing thing to me, and it's just a personal incredulity, is that many follks prefer modern racing to the images and styles of riding we see in your posted pictures. That's fine, folks should like what they like. But I just don't really get it, nor can I be all that inspired. You see, when I ramble out here in the middle of nowhere, I have to fix my own flats, make my way home in all weathers, and deal with everything by myself. I'd rather walk than use a cell phone. I'd rather freeze because I was stupid and ill-prepared than think the car behind me should bail my sorry self out...But that is not modern racing. The cars in the old pics are there to make sure that folks don't cheat (or enable your favorites to cheat, though I mean no accusation!)

The pictures from RAI, however, suggest sufficient suffering and terrible conditions for almost any sadist/masochist though I do wish they rode more barely-paved roads, no matter the conditions. It's a race, right?

dbrk

Argos
05-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Mr. Ramble,

The problem is that some of our forum audience never saw pictures of the old days racing, when it was about the rider, not the equipment or the blah, blah, blah.... Remember the reason the quick release was invented?

I am not advocating that today's riders fix their forks or that they change flats, but c'mon! Look... Bartali near the support car in the '40's. But, what's with all these radios, and GPSs, and this and that!

With all due respect and admiration for the riders of that day, and even in agreement with you, I would say that today's debacle is the result of this rediculous last minute road that has turned to mud. I think if it were a real road, paved, not crushed, it may be a different situation for the last climb.

jmho. Believe me, I wanted to see them slog it out, too!

Erik.Lazdins
05-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Headwindspal, so true but I take it further...'cause why not? The amazing thing to me, and it's just a personal incredulity, is that many follks prefer modern racing to the images and styles of riding we see in your posted pictures. That's fine, folks should like what they like. But I just don't really get it, nor can I be all that inspired. You see, when I ramble out here in the middle of nowhere, I have to fix my own flats, make my way home in all weathers, and deal with everything by myself. I'd rather walk than use a cell phone. I'd rather freeze because I was stupid and ill-prepared than think the car behind me should bail my sorry self out...But that is not modern racing. The cars in the old pics are there to make sure that folks don't cheat (or enable your favorites to cheat, though I mean no accusation!)

The pictures from RAI, however, suggest sufficient suffering and terrible conditions for almost any sadist/masochist though I do wish they rode more barely-paved roads, no matter the conditions. It's a race, right?

dbrk

This was the stage I most looked forward to. It gave me something to think about when I was freezing on my rides in the 30's and rain.

I hope they let them race.

Onno
05-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Cyclingnews is just reporting that the race has officially been shortened again, to cut out the final 5 km climb. The weather it the major factor here--it's raining and snowing at the top, and though I agree that variety of terrain is a good thing, I don't think it's really a road bike race any more if they have to get off their bikes and run up the hill.

Headwinds
05-24-2006, 09:13 AM
With all due respect and admiration for the riders of that day...
Thanks!....

....is the result of this [ridiculous] last minute road that has turned to mud. I think if it were a real road, paved, not crushed, it may be a different situation for the last climb.

I don't agree... I think they have cancelled stage parts even on paved roads, when the weather has turned nasty!

My question remains... Why they didn't do it in 1988?

fiamme red
05-24-2006, 09:13 AM
******SPOILER******

The stage has officially been shortened by 5 km. D*mn!

sspielman
05-24-2006, 09:21 AM
I don't agree... I think they have cancelled stage parts even on paved roads, when the weather has turned nasty!

They are much quicker to cancel the passage of a mountain during bad conditions if there is a DESCENT...especially a tricky one. They are very reluctant to cancel a final climb that does not have to be descended...which is what happened in 1988....although they may have cancelled that one too if the conditions hadn't dteriorated so rapidly that it prevented them from making the proper arrangements.

Argos
05-24-2006, 09:23 AM

I think it is different, just hear me out.

Gavia was miserable, but also well worn and not sections of 24%. This road is a fresh crushed mess, that even when dry a few days ago tires were sinking into. Now, it's a lot of wasted money, as the road surface is reported to be such that bike tires would sink in an inch or more. It's fully saturated.

On top of that it's got sections of 24%. That's hard mtn bike racing conditions, but with street tires? I think even a 650b would sink in... :D

So that's my point on the climb. As for the canceling of the previous climb, it could be the players union, or common sense. Yes they used to ride that stuff in all weather, but we used to insulate with the miracle fabric of asbestos...

BumbleBeeDave
05-24-2006, 09:32 AM
. . . is why this road was not seen too months ago. The route is announced literally months in advance. They had HUGE amounts of time to get the road prepared--either paved or just more gravel--before this current situation arose.

Just very stupid on the part of the race organizers. all this anticipoation and money hanging on the race--both betting and product endorsements, etc.--and now it's toast.

Very stupid . . .

BBD

my2cents
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM

dbrk

dbrk - this is not directed at you per se.

these are be definition road races. and there are mountain bike races, and there are extreme ultra-marathon races that involve (at least in part) cycling. The modern road race is exactly as it should be - mostly paved roads with an occassional cobble and even more rare dirt road thrown in. Want to see riders ankle deep in mud, watch cyclocross or mtb races. want to see riders really suffer - why not have the giro in february -- that would be really cool racing, don't you think!? or instead of roads, why not have them sling their bikes on their backs and have them rappel over the mtn passes (of course they would be required to set their own lines, braid their own ropes and such) cause that would be really cool.

These guys race not matter what the conditions (weather, road, hostile crowds, etc.), 99.9999999% of the time without alterations to the course or event. .000000001% of the time, the course (due to a farmers strike, or a dirt road turned to mud or a mtn decent turned to ice) is alterted for the safety of riders. i'm ok with that and ANYONE who isn't is just plain bonkers in my opinion (which, mind you, is worth only 2 cents).

Argos
05-24-2006, 09:34 AM
. . . is why this road was not seen too months ago. The route is announced literally months in advance. They had HUGE amounts of time to get the road prepared--either paved or just more gravel--before this current situation arose.

Just very stupid on the part of the race organizers. all this anticipoation and money hanging on the race--both betting and product endorsements, etc.--and now it's toast.

Very stupid . . .

BBD

Agreed. This would have been a great stage if they never added the last 5 km anyway.... Well, lets at least see what happens.

At least it seems cycling.tv lowered the rate to handle the volume. Better then dropping out!

flyingscot
05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Interesting contrast on the day a possible huge doping scandal emerges

We want clean riders but also want to create more and more crazy routes for them
This last week is a killer - but has the elements of a reality TV show
Unmade roads, 2 stages in a day, shocking weather etc

sspielman
05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Interesting contrast on the day a possible huge doping scandal emerges

We want clean riders but also want to create more and more crazy routes for them
This last week is a killer - but has the elements of a reality TV show
Unmade roads, 2 stages in a day, shocking weather etc

I can't imagine that anybody could watch today's stage and decide that the conditions are somehow short of epic.....

fiamme red
05-24-2006, 10:19 AM
I can't imagine that anybody could watch today's stage and decide that the conditions are somehow short of epic.....The stage was less than epic. It was too short. Only 3h 21m.

flyingscot
05-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Agreed
Today was a bit of a damp (!) squib

72gmc
05-24-2006, 11:47 AM
What a letdown. Oh well.

Re 1988, they did have to ride down off the Gavia--that's where Breukink took the stage from Andy--but the inability to change plans as fast as they can now is probably what kept that stage intact. It was probably the same with the famous Liege that Hinault won in the snow, I'd wager. It's selfish, but I for one am glad those epics were contested when they couldn't react so fast.

palincss
05-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Want to see riders ankle deep in mud, watch cyclocross or mtb races. want to see riders really suffer - why not have the giro in february -- that would be really cool racing, don't you think!? or instead of roads, why not have them sling their bikes on their backs and have them rappel over the mtn passes (of course they would be required to set their own lines, braid their own ropes and such) cause that would be really cool.

It would make a great Reality TV show... :banana:

atmo
05-24-2006, 11:57 AM
It's selfish, but I for one am glad those epics were contested when they couldn't react so fast.

agreed.
men were men before all this radio sheit etc.

Grant McLean
05-24-2006, 11:59 AM
agreed.
men were men before all this radio sheit etc.

maybe jack bauer can create a radio jamming device
that flys over the field.

g

Bud
05-24-2006, 12:01 PM

g

Chloe will be following in the team car and take care of that.

Argos
05-24-2006, 12:12 PM
I think Chloe is who we've been looking for.

She's the only one that is still alive of the three that knew he was alive, and someone had to set him up to be framed for the Palmer assassination.

Also, how else could the Chinese grab him so fast..

Chloe is the mole.

Ooops. Wrong Forum. :rolleyes:

Headwinds
05-24-2006, 01:45 PM
They are much quicker to cancel the passage of a mountain during bad conditions if there is a DESCENT...especially a tricky one. They are very reluctant to cancel a final climb that does not have to be descended...which is what happened in 1988....although they may have cancelled that one too if the conditions hadn't dteriorated so rapidly that it prevented them from making the proper arrangements.

OK.... So, what's up with this?:

What a letdown. Oh well.

Re 1988, they did have to ride down off the Gavia--that's where Breukink took the stage from Andy--but the inability to change plans as fast as they can now is probably what kept that stage intact. It was probably the same with the famous Liege that Hinault won in the snow, I'd wager. It's selfish, but I for one am glad those epics were contested when they couldn't react so fast.

Thanks 72....

MartyE
05-24-2006, 02:13 PM
what would the "Angel of the Mountains" say?

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2006/upload/cha/charly.jpg

this picture is from the stage 50 years ago that was memorialized yesterday,
today they modified the course due to weather, does anyone else
see the irony in this?

marty

atmo
05-24-2006, 02:17 PM
the gaul of it all

fiamme red
05-24-2006, 02:24 PM

see the irony in this?

martyThat's a GREAT photo!

William
05-24-2006, 02:34 PM

see the irony in this?

marty

Well, that was back when Cyclists were men. Today, well, pro cyclists are pampered (http://sillymanifesto.tripod.com/issue2/cyclists.htm) .

Oh well.

William ;)

ClutchCargo
05-24-2006, 02:53 PM

g

McGuyver will be one of his domestiques :)

MartyE
05-24-2006, 03:05 PM
The photo was on the Giro Site as part of the 50th anniversary
of Charly's win on the Bondone.

More about the ride can be read here:

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/9906.0.html

respect

Headwinds
05-24-2006, 03:08 PM
In these pictures, the Lockheed-Martin competitor enters the ramp for the prologue and officially starts the 150th Tour de France!

And the kids of the furture, will look back and cherish the days of the neat white uniforms of these brave tour riders: