PDA

View Full Version : BB30 to BSA sleeve

tumbler
11-09-2015, 06:30 PM
I have a CAAD10 frame coming in, which unfortunately means BB30. I'm planning to use a Shimano crank so my options seem to be converter shims, converter BB (Praxis, KCNC), or a converter sleeve (http://www.wiggle.com/fsa-bb30-conversion-kit/) (FSA). I'm leaning towards the 3rd option because it's cheap, simple, and semi-permanent. I know some forumites use the Wheels Manufacturing adaptors or the Praxis BB and I'm sure they are wonderful, but I think I'd rather just sleeve it, use standard Shimano parts, and pretend that I never owned a non-threaded frame.

The reviews seem pretty good. Has anyone used one of these? How has it held up? Is there anything else I should consider... will the crank stance and chainline be altered significantly once I install the Shimano BB and cranks?

kramnnim
11-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Do you plan to keep the frame for a long time?

ColnagoFan
11-09-2015, 07:19 PM
I have a CAAD10 frame coming in, which unfortunately means BB30. I'm planning to use a Shimano crank so my options seem to be converter shims, converter BB (Praxis, KCNC), or a converter sleeve (http://www.wiggle.com/fsa-bb30-conversion-kit/) (FSA). I'm leaning towards the 3rd option because it's cheap, simple, and semi-permanent. I know some forumites use the Wheels Manufacturing adaptors or the Praxis BB and I'm sure they are wonderful, but I think I'd rather just sleeve it, use standard Shimano parts, and pretend that I never owned a non-threaded frame.

The reviews seem pretty good. Has anyone used one of these? How has it held up? Is there anything else I should consider... will the crank stance and chainline be altered significantly once I install the Shimano BB and cranks?

Honestly, the Praxis and Enduro/Wheels Mfg are so, so good, and such a non-brainer, that I'd be hard-pressed to do anything else.
I have the Wheels on my bike now, it's it's honestly about the best BB I've ever used, so damn smooth. Pressing in an adapter, then threading into that, just seems like extra material/weight, and an extra set. Just thread the Wheels one in, install your cranks, and forget about it forever.
My thoughts...

tumbler
11-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Do you plan to keep the frame for a long time?

That's a good question. There are no plans to pass it down to future generations or anything, but we'll probably keep it for a while. It's for my wife and she tends to get used to one bike and stick with it (this is a replacement for her last one that we sold prior to a cross country move).

tumbler
11-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Honestly, the Praxis and Enduro/Wheels Mfg are so, so good, and such a non-brainer, that I'd be hard-pressed to do anything else.
I have the Wheels on my bike now, it's it's honestly about the best BB I've ever used, so damn smooth. Pressing in an adapter, then threading into that, just seems like extra material/weight, and an extra set. Just thread the Wheels one in, install your cranks, and forget about it forever.
My thoughts...

I appreciate the input. My thoughts are basically that I don't care about the weight at all just want nothing to do with a pressed bottom bracket. I like the idea of just turning out the cups when I need to service the bike and I've never had an issue with Shimano BBs, which also happen to be cheap. The Praxis/WM alternatives are 3x the price and still require one side to be pressed in, which isn't that hard, but I just find it annoying and unnecessary compared to a threaded setup.

bpm
11-09-2015, 08:42 PM
I have a CAAD10 and have been using the Praxxis BB with my Shimano crankset for two years. Pressing it in is easily accomplished with a homemade press (a long bolt, large washers, and a nut). It has been perfectly smooth, rock solid, and has never creaked even the slightest bit. I highly recommend it.

shovelhd
11-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Praxis.
/thread

54ny77
11-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Tumbler, I had my local shop install a simple FSA BB30 adaptor on my CAAD9. It was 20 bucks. They recommended it. Was planning on going with any of the whole unit offerings, but I opted for the adapter. That way i can use whatever type of bb i wanted--ultegra, dura ace, etc., and am not wed to a full unit (and the added cost). It works dandy, knock on wood. :beer:

I watched 'em do the install with pro tools and set it in place with some kind of loctite, and they said don't mess with it for 24 hours to everything cures nice & snug.

steelbikerider
11-09-2015, 09:25 PM
I did the Wheels Manufacturing press in too with a homemade bearing press and it popped right in. Very nice BB, no squeaks, creaks or noises.

Davist
11-10-2015, 06:06 AM
I have a CAAD 10, just using the wheels Shimano delrin/plastic adapter with the regular bearings. No problems. Previously, I did have problems with creaking, but replacing the FSA crank solved that. I think the carbon frames have more issues than the metal frames, as it really has worked fine for over a year now.

Gummee
11-10-2015, 06:44 AM
BB30s not so bad if you don't mind replacing bearings every 18-ish months (depending on riding conditions)

They don't *typically* creak like the PF30 BBs do.

HOWever, if it were me, I'd go with one of the Praxis/Wheels Manf/Enduro BBs mentioned above that screw together and skip the insert

M

tumbler
11-10-2015, 09:44 AM
I guess a better why to phase things would be: What are the downsides to installing the sleeve, other than weight (which I don't care about)?

I'm sure Praxis/WM BBs are nice, but Shimano BBs are also nice while having the added advantages of being being familiar, cheaper, simpler, readily available, and being able to install/remove with a simple BB wrench (no press or bearing removal tools). What am I missing (besides the revolutionary, life-changing performance benefits that only a new BB standard can provide :rolleyes:)?

54ny77
11-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Tumbler, the only advantage I cared about is that I already have a lot of spare Shimano BB's and it made no sense to buy a proprietary fully enclosed unit (like Praxis, as nice as it is). Like you, total weight (sleeve plus external BB) never even crossed my mind. It's de minimis.

I guess a better why to phase things would be: What are the downsides to installing the sleeve, other than weight (which I don't care about)?

I'm sure Praxis/WM BBs are nice, but Shimano BBs are also nice while having the added advantages of being being familiar, cheaper, simpler, readily available, and being able to install/remove with a simple BB wrench (no press or bearing removal tools). What am I missing (besides the revolutionary, life-changing performance benefits that only a new BB standard can provide :rolleyes:)?

ColnagoFan
11-10-2015, 09:54 AM

The Enduro one installs with just the Shimano tool, no special press, nothing. I just put one in yesterday, took me all of 2 minutes. Same exact setup as the Shimano BB. If you don't want to press anything in, special tools, etc, then why have to press in a threaded adapter? It's just another thing in there that can creak/loosen/etc.

Elefantino
11-10-2015, 12:14 PM
The inserts work fine if installed correctly and it's not that big of a deal. If you can use one, it makes sense unless you have extra cash or are measuring gram by gram.

kramnnim
11-10-2015, 12:50 PM

Resale value, which is why I asked if you were planning to keep it a long time...

Ralph
11-10-2015, 01:08 PM
I guess I'm missing something, or maybe just ignorant, but if you are going to use a square taper cartridge BB, what other options do you have than the sleeve?

I'm aware of Praxis and other similar fixes for BB30, and understand how they work, but if you don't plan to use a crankset with outboard bearings, isn't the sleeve the best/only way to go for a square taper application?

Please enlighten me.

tumbler
11-10-2015, 01:55 PM
I guess I'm missing something, or maybe just ignorant, but if you are going to use a square taper cartridge BB, what other options do you have than the sleeve?

I'm aware of Praxis and other similar fixes for BB30, and understand how they work, but if you don't plan to use a crankset with outboard bearings, isn't the sleeve the best/only way to go for a square taper application?

Please enlighten me.

I'm planning to use outboard bearings and a Shimano Hollowtech II crank.

Ralph
11-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Thanks for clarification.

Ralph
11-10-2015, 04:25 PM

Thanks for clarification. Shows my ignorance about Shimano stuff.