PDA

View Full Version : *** is up with Campy wheels?

flydhest
05-23-2006, 10:12 PM
So, I love Campy stuff. I love the Protons I have. Best cheap wheels, in my ho. But I just changed tires, found out 25 Michelins don't fit under an Alpha Q, so changed again. I'm freakin' exhausted and have blood coming from one finger, and a busted (albeit cheap) tire lever to show for it.

I put tires on by hand on OP wheels. I got one tire (out of the four tires mounted) on with hand and have blisters at the base of my fingers now.

What's up with that?

Ginger
05-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Fly,
You haven't had a flat in Sooo long that the callous has worn off of your fingers. Now you're a dainty girly man who can't even change his own flat without injuring himself! Not that there's anything wrong with that!

:)

That's not the answer you were looking for is it?

I'm getting a flat on the Finger Lakes Ramble...aren't I?

I'm changing it myself...aren't I?

Johny
05-23-2006, 10:20 PM
campy + michelin = :crap:

flydhest
05-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Ginger, karma.

Johnny, indeed.

Ginger
05-23-2006, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=flydhest]Ginger, karma.
QUOTE]

Is it Karma if I know it's coming?

I agree with Johny too...:)

flydhest
05-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Is it Karma if I know it's coming?

Had you said this at Nottrott, there would have been roars of laughter with the peanut gallery reliving junior high school.

Ginger
05-23-2006, 10:35 PM
That would be dogma...not karma...

(talk about jr high humor... you didn't even WANT to go there. Bill B. and I will be waiting at the bottom of the ladder to the gutter...)

Ray
05-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Had you said this at Nottrott, there would have been roars of laughter with the peanut gallery reliving junior high school.
Nottrott, Schmottrott - it's happening here and now.

Am I to understand that these are clinchers? You don't ride clinchers - takes too long to change flats. Heh heh. Painful too.

I most certainly hope you didn't get any of that blood from the finger on your Saturday night suit. I'd call it a cool and stylish modern leisure suit, but leisure suit has too many connotations.

Seriously though - panaracer tires and open pros go smooth like buttah. Michelin and Campy go on like circumcision with a butter knife.

-Ray

Ken Robb
05-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Rivendell sells a plastic tire tool from VAR that I use to pull tires onto my wide touring rims that would otherwise defeat my feable fingers that work fine on Open Pros.

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2006, 10:57 PM
My dear Fly.

25 Michelins don't fit on an F1 either !!!!

I know !!!!

bironi
05-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Don't the Italians confer with the French prior to manufacturing? And don't the French design to satisfy the Italians?

shinomaster
05-23-2006, 11:08 PM
A lot of things suck...not just campy rims, which I used almot exclusively.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=14666&highlight=park+tire

jeffg
05-24-2006, 02:59 AM
I was trying to put new tires on my Eurus last year before heading down to Mont Ventoux and almost ended up with stigmata until I realized that the tire was defective and didn't fit on Open Pros either!

I use Schwalbe Stelvios now and they are generally very easy to put on. I have been tempted to sell the Eurus and get DT handbuilts (DT rims, Hugi, Aerolite or Sapim CX-Ray), but I like the Eurus wheels otherwise and cannot be bothered for the moment ...

Serotta PETE
05-24-2006, 06:04 AM
My dear Fly.

25 Michelins don't fit on an F1 either !!!!

I know !!!!

Does not work on my F1 either..... even put a little red on them - -

Elefantino
05-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Not just Campy wheels.

Trying to guide Michelins on Rolf Sestrieres is a thumb workout.

I have two sets of OPs and am spoiled.

For the majority of us who aren't racers, they are the only wheels to have, IMNSHO.

NAHBS
05-24-2006, 06:33 AM
I think the main problem here is that they dont fit on your Alpha Q. True Temper has had some problems with their forks not accepting a larger tire, I found this out the hard way with a 650 fork for a customer. He isnt enjoying the wait either, while we get him a different brand.
As long as you are able to live with a 23 tire, the Alpha Q would be fine.

DW

Jeff Weir
05-24-2006, 07:32 AM
With my protons I've found that continental & vittorias mount the easiest. If your really into pain and suffering, try to mount a veloflex pave onto them!!!

flydhest
05-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Jeff,
The funny thing is, I was planning on mounting some Paves but they were already on a set of OPs, so I took the Michelins that were sitting around.

Ray,
:fight:
Seriously, though, I think of Michelins to be relatively easy to mount on OPs, just to put into perspective what it's like on Protons. Circumcision with a bowling ball.

NAHBS, yeah, once the tires are on, the worry was the fit. Nevertheless, mounting and unmounting is less than pleasant. It was brutal, though, because I wrestled so hard to get the first pair on, only to find that they didn't fit. It was salt to the wound, insult to injury.

chrisroph
05-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Get some good flat var levers and feel secure that your tires won't fall off. With the right tools, mounting any tire on a campy rim is easy.

djg
05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
The wheels are fine. Some tires are a bit of a struggle, and not obviously worth it. I'll second the mention of contis and vittorias. I have a set of eurus clinchers and the contis on it now went on just fine. Snug, but fine. Open corsas work fine too. And you might try Veloflex.

I'd rather ride the nucleon tubbies, but the eurus are a nice clincher wheelset and I've heard good things about the protons too.

Marco
05-24-2006, 11:58 PM
"...just to put into perspective what it's like on Protons. Circumcision with a bowling ball."

Definately the Quote Of The Day