PDA

View Full Version : Production fixed gear road bikes

doomridesout
11-08-2015, 11:33 PM
I don't have the scratch right now anyway but since moving to the Central Valley, a nice fixed roadie would be great. Any recommendations on a production bike? Here are my requirements:
Road geometry
Two bottle mounts
Track dropouts
Fender mounts.
Long reach brakes or cantis.

I know about Wabi Cycles and they're definitely on my radar. If the All City Nature Boy wasn't so ugly I'd be into it too.

Cicli
11-09-2015, 04:04 AM
Wabi, super nice and a good price too.

Maybe keep an eye out for an older Salsa Casseroll.

smontanaro
11-09-2015, 04:14 AM
Just curious, why production, as opposed to a fixed gear conversion?

oldpotatoe
11-09-2015, 05:56 AM
I don't have the scratch right now anyway but since moving to the Central Valley, a nice fixed roadie would be great. Any recommendations on a production bike? Here are my requirements:
Road geometry
Two bottle mounts
Track dropouts
Fender mounts.

I know about Wabi Cycles and they're definitely on my radar. If the All City Nature Boy wasn't so ugly I'd be into it too.

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/street-dog

The highlighted one may be the hardest part. A lot of fixies are more track geometry.

8aaron8
11-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Road geometry
Two bottle mounts
Track dropouts
Fender mounts.

Not to derail, but what part of the central valley are you moving to?

AngryScientist
11-09-2015, 08:17 AM
i've researched this quite a bit a few years ago. there are not many production bikes out there that fit all of your criteria, especially the fender mount and tire clearance criteria.

you absolutely should consider a conversion on a road bike with horizontal drops for a few good reasons. nice older steel bikes are pretty widely available, and the geometry is usually good for the road (obviously). fender mounts and a little more tire room will also be easier to find. horizontal drops are way easier to use if you're going to use full coverage fenders and need to change a rear tire. track ends are a pain to get the wheel out with fenders mounted.

JAGI410
11-09-2015, 08:32 AM
Surly Steamroller, but it only has one set of bottle bosses

chwupper
11-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Single speed Surly Cross Check, though it comes with flat bars. Edit: oops, no track dropouts. But it makes a fine, versatile fixed gear bike.

veloduffer
11-09-2015, 09:26 AM
All City Nature Boy fits the bill except for slightly slacker head tube angle, as it is a cross bike. But it does have mostly road geometry, including a 7cm bottom bracket drop.

It has two sets of water bottle bosses and hidden fender attachments. I used to own one but didn't ride it much. Also comes coated with rust prevention.

11-09-2015, 09:29 AM
All the recommendations above are potentially good. I've tried most of them. My favorite was always an All City Nature Boy. This is a single-speed cross bike with bottle cages, canti bosses, 27.2 mm seat post, English bottom bracket. It has a great durable finish and internal top tube brake cable routing. The frame comes in 130 mm rear spacing, but it's easy to re-space it to 120 mm to fit any track hub (which is what I did). At about $525 or so, it's a bit heavy for a SSCX bike (mostly in the fork, but that's easily swapped out if you want to race) but is durable, rides well, and is the perfect winter fixie or city fixie. I used TRP mini-V's and they were excellent on it. Overall a perfect frame. You might get into an old road bike conversion for a bit less, but this one has been optimized for just what you are wanting to do.

p nut
11-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Just a note about the Wabi: I have the Classic, and although the specs say it can fit 32 tires, it will not. Unless they gave the fork more clearance in the last 4 years. Pasela 32 hit the top of the caliper (cleared the fork by 2-3mm). It measured ~30mm at 50-60psi (can't remember). Same issue with somewhat worn 700x30 Grand Bois tire. 700x28 is about the max you can go in these, just FYI.

That said, it's been a great bike. Lots of century+ rides on it. Stock wheels are light and strong (for the price). Customer service is excellent as well.

For strict road riding, more preferred over my Nature Boy.

AngryScientist
11-09-2015, 10:01 AM
i have an older Wabi Lightening with Columbus Spirit tubes. it's really an awesome frame, and rides brilliantly, but there is no way any road tire bigger than 25c is going to comfortably fit that frame, forget fender mounts too. it's a true roadie. couple centuries on mine too :banana:

doomridesout
11-09-2015, 10:54 AM
I actually used to own a Wabi Lightning Scandium, and it was great-- so that might be where I go.

8aaron8-- I'm in Davis at this point.

11-09-2015, 11:34 AM
If you want a versatile fixie, do think about tire size. Until you've ridden a fixie a lot, it can often be harder on your rear. Bigger tires really help. Plus if you're riding it in inclement weather, having a bigger contact patch gives some comfort if you're on hills or on slick spots (white lines, oil spills, etc.) on the road. Road conversions often don't let you use more than a 23 mm or so, if that. There's a plus to being on a 27-30 mm tire. That rules out a lot of the fixie options out there. I was able to use Strada Biancas easily, plus full fenders, on a Nature Boy. There are other options out there, but I almost want to advise anyone buying a bike today not to limit yourself on tire size. Old close-clearance small-tire frames are going to be less and less useful.

p nut
11-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Old 27" wheel frames can take big tires as well. Had an 80's Trek that could take 700x35. Only issue was the low BB.

thirdgenbird
11-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Why are track dropouts necessary? Horizontal road dropouts have some advantages, particularly if you run a rear brake.

mktng
11-09-2015, 12:18 PM
nothing beats just taking an old steel frame and making it a ss/fixed :P

Shoeman
11-09-2015, 12:37 PM
nothing beats just taking an old steel frame and making it a ss/fixed :P

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!
https://flic.kr/p/AfPzkK

p nut
11-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Why are track dropouts necessary? Horizontal road dropouts have some advantages, particularly if you run a rear brake.

Not sure why horizontal drops would be preferred with a rear brake, but I do agree there are advantages, especially if you decide to run fenders. Typically, much easier time getting the wheel out for flats, storage, etc.

thirdgenbird
11-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Not sure why horizontal drops would be preferred with a rear brake, but I do agree there are advantages, especially if you decide to run fenders. Typically, much easier time getting the wheel out for flats, storage, etc.

Horizontal road dropouts allow you to make some adjustments in wheel placement (chain tension) without moving the brake pads. Any minor change with track ends will make the pads off. It's not a huge deal, but one less thing to fiddle with on the roadside.

Fenders is another good point. Removing the rear wheel on my wife's fendered single speed sucks.

p nut
11-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Horizontal road dropouts allow you to make some adjustments in wheel placement (chain tension) without moving the brake pads. Any minor change with track ends will make the pads off. It's not a huge deal, but one less thing to fiddle with on the roadside.

Fenders is another good point. Removing the rear wheel on my wife's fendered single speed sucks.

Does it have to do with the angle of the dropouts? I do have to move my rear brakes a little on my cross bike with track ends when changing gears. I *thought* I had to do the same on my old Surly Cross Check, but could be mistaken.

Another advantage: If you go geared, taking out the rear wheel is much easier/faster with horiz. drops. I HATE doing wheel changes on my Pugsley.

thirdgenbird
11-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Yeah, it's the angle. It depends on how the frame is made, how far you move, and how wide your brake surface is. I could reasonably adjust my bianchi sscx conversion without touching the pads, they alway hit the machined track. No such luck with track ends. I have seen custom road fixed gear bike that had track ends installed at an angle for this reason. Can't remember the builder.

summilux
11-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Track dropouts and fender mounts do not mix. Why? Because taking the rear wheel out may be impossible with fenders and even if it is physically possible, it is a PITA. Ask me how I know. Horizontal dropouts only please.

velotrack
11-09-2015, 04:54 PM
i have an older Wabi Lightening with Columbus Spirit tubes. it's really an awesome frame, and rides brilliantly, but there is no way any road tire bigger than 25c is going to comfortably fit that frame, forget fender mounts too. it's a true roadie. couple centuries on mine too :banana:

I do recall Wabi lightnings way back being made out of Scandium. Super light, super cool.

Anyways, I really liked the Raleigh One Way back when they still made it. SS, horizontal dropouts... same with the Salsa Casseroll.

velotrack
11-09-2015, 04:57 PM
http://archive.raleighusa.com/wp-content/uploads/post-images/R09_OneWay_LRG.jpg

http://salsacycles.com/files/bikes/bikes_casserollsingle.jpg

What's a thread without pictures?

EDS
11-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Road geometry
Two bottle mounts
Track dropouts
Fender mounts.

Try and get your hands on a Specialized Tricross Singlecross. I am pretty happy with mine though it is no beauty queen.

David Tollefson
11-09-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm currently building a SS Monster-cross with these dropouts:
http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/DROPOUT-REAR-MTB-SLIDER-ADJUSTABLE-Stainless-Steel.html

Best of both worlds. Vertical dropout for ease of wheel removal/reinstall even with fenders, and adjustable for chain tension.

There is also this option to be able to swap track dropouts with road dropouts: http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/MODULAR-ROAD-DROPOUT-IN-STEEL-FOR-TRACK.html

p nut
11-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Surly Steamroller, but it only has one set of bottle bosses

I miss mine at times. You can fit some fatties in there. (Had 700x35 CX tires a few times for some singletrack action). Bottle boss wouldn't be a problem--several ways to mount cages fairly easily. A bit heavy, but fun.

Not me, but some dude who decided to do the Almanzo 100 on a Steamroller (curtsey of Bunyan Velo)