PDA

View Full Version : OT: garbage disposal and new sink.

ultraman6970
11-08-2015, 10:18 PM
Quick question... new kitchen sink... I'll keep the old garbage disposal, new bracket obviously.

Question, can I just drop the garbage disposal down, and put it back up in the bracket w/o taking the electrical cables out once the new sink is in place?? Assuming that I have the garbage disposal breaker off from the panel, plus a big ass electrical tape in the wall switch so nobody touches it as a back up. Using metal globes too :p

Thanks.

Dead Man
11-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Try to support it in place somehow, so you don't have to detach it from the plumbing OR electrical. Couple pieces of webbing wrapped around it and screwed into the triangular fastening plates in the corners of the inside of the cabinet would probably do it.

Although that's almost as much a pain in the ass as just pulling the whole thing out and getting it out of the way. And if the new sink has a different depth, you're probably going to have to make at least some kind of adjustment to your plumbing anyway.

unterhausen
11-08-2015, 11:28 PM
I don't see much reason to disconnect the electrical, but I doubt the plumbing is going to match up.

foo_fighter
11-08-2015, 11:29 PM
Yes, but is the new sink bottom and drain hole at exactly the same height and location?

You could possibly get a car jack to support the disposal, then twist the ring to release it and then lower it with the jack. Reverse to install.

But it's not that hard to remove it entirely and re-install. Just check for leaks afterwards.

ultraman6970
11-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Thanks a guys... not sure about the plumbing will match 100%, but probably will be really close, same size and depth, doubt will be off for too much.

Thought in that car jack too, could work.

jeffwidman
11-09-2015, 02:15 AM
I had to remove our garbage disposal a few months ago because some paper towels accidentally went down the drain and clogged it. Found it relatively easy to remove and just drop straight down. Ours just plugs into a wall socket under the sink, so easy to disconnect electrical. Easy to get it back in place too--although as the other said biggest issue will be fitting it to the new sink.

Birddog
11-09-2015, 06:33 AM
If the disposal is not an ISE (InSinkErator) made by Emerson or one of it's rebranded clones, then throw the POS away. Your electrical hookup should just be an appliance cord, if it is hardwired, you should change it to an appliance cord plugged into a common receptacle. In most modern installations, the receptacle will be a "half-hot", one half always hot ( for the dishwasher), the other half switched (for the disposal).

ultraman6970
11-09-2015, 10:54 AM
We got a InSinkErator like 3 years ago, the problem is that the previous owner of the house was a handy man... so is not that stuff makes sense sometimes :D Specially because he did not pay for a half of the stuff that is already installed here :D

The power cable comes my best guess from the switch that is in the wall, there is not receptacle under the sink just the f... cable showing up from nowhere :/ and to be able to do it right, well have to start thinking in removing kitchen furniture, holes in the wall to figure it out where and from where the cables are coming from, too much job :D I do get what you are saying and I totally agree :/

Just waiting for wife to decide to do tiles in the kitchen walls I might think in re- doing that whole wall from the bottom up and put the receptacles you are talking about :) Probably that day will toss the dishwasher to the trash aswell because we dont use it ever. :)

russ46
11-09-2015, 11:39 AM
1. Best to disconnect from all plumbing (drain & dishwasher)
2. Can probably leave electrical connection in place even if hard wired - given enough slack
3. Most models are too heavy to leave in place & are typically just in the way when securing the new sink