PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo Kickr and Campy Question

Gat64
11-08-2015, 01:54 PM
So I just picked up a Wahoo kickr which comes with a 11sp Shimano cassette. I run Campy 10 sp, so I am thinking I have two options:

Option 1: Buy the Wahoo Campagnolo freehub - but this I would have to order online and wait - none in town here.

Option 2: Buy a Shimano 10sp cassette and use our campy drive train on it. Easy to buy local and I can start using it right away. I have read that Campy 10sp can work on the Shimano cassette, but shifting is not super smooth - but I would not think this would be all that important for a trainer.

Any thoughts?

oldpotatoe
11-08-2015, 02:54 PM
So I just picked up a Wahoo kickr which comes with a 11sp Shimano cassette. I run Campy 10 sp, so I am thinking I have two options:

Option 1: Buy the Wahoo Campagnolo freehub - but this I would have to order online and wait - none in town here.

Option 2: Buy a Shimano 10sp cassette and use our campy drive train on it. Easy to buy local and I can start using it right away. I have read that Campy 10sp can work on the Shimano cassette, but shifting is not super smooth - but I would not think this would be all that important for a trainer.

Any thoughts?

Get a shimano 9s cogset..ctr cog to ctr cog differences less for Campag 10s->shimano 9s than Campag 10s->shimano 10s.

cheaper too.

Gat64
11-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Get a shimano 9s cogset..ctr cog to ctr cog differences less for Campag 10s->shimano 9s than Campag 10s->shimano 10s.

cheaper too.

This is great - thanks for the info Mr. P!

thirdgenbird
11-08-2015, 03:01 PM
A shimano 11spd freehub also gives you enough room to respace shimano cogs to campy spec. I haven't done it, but the math works. Mark did it and said it worked.

kramnnim
11-08-2015, 05:09 PM
If you use erg mode you don't even need to shift...

unterhausen
11-08-2015, 06:56 PM

yeah, I never shift mine. I would have to dig through my parts bin to find some parts, and it hasn't been worth it

So the OP should just adjust it to hit a gear and go with the stock cassette

Gat64
11-08-2015, 08:29 PM

I wondered about that, but then I assume it keeps adjusting to a preset/programmed wattage? So if I want to go harder, I would need to adjust the tension manually?

I guess I can always try erg mode to see if I like it.

unterhausen
11-08-2015, 11:30 PM
I've never felt compelled to shift in resistance mode either, I just up the resistance.

kramnnim
11-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Yeah, you'd just use the app or whatever to adjust the slope or watt setting. Or if you use Trainer road it will adjust it for you and you just pedal. If you use Zwift in Sim mode you would need to shift the actual gears.