PDA

View Full Version : brake screw unscrewing itself??

vqdriver
11-08-2015, 01:51 PM
trp 8.4 mounted on a steel cross fork. i noticed last night that the driveside caliper, arm, whatever was about a full cm forward of the non driveside. thought the pad was shifting or something and looked closer. turns out the entire brake arm was sliding forward on the canti boss. i just pushed it back down and saw that the mounting bolt itself had worked itself out about that much. tightened it down again and it's ok now, but that's disconcerting. is this some idiosyncrasy of cantis that i've just forgotten?? fwiw, the bolt and fork were both new when installed with the factory threadlocker on the bolt threads.
i can't imagine this being a problem on the rear since the wheel rotation would just push it further into the boss even if the bolt fell completely off. but that would really suck if the bolt fell off on the front brake, leaving it to dangle by the cable and get caught in the spokes.

Cicli
11-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Oddity I would guess. See if it happens again?

Tony T
11-08-2015, 02:04 PM
If you have a decent amount of miles since the install, consider some fresh loctite

vqdriver
11-08-2015, 02:23 PM
yep. i'll be watching it like a hawk now. janky as hell....

oldpotatoe
11-08-2015, 02:52 PM
trp 8.4 mounted on a steel cross fork. i noticed last night that the driveside caliper, arm, whatever was about a full cm forward of the non driveside. thought the pad was shifting or something and looked closer. turns out the entire brake arm was sliding forward on the canti boss. i just pushed it back down and saw that the mounting bolt itself had worked itself out about that much. tightened it down again and it's ok now, but that's disconcerting. is this some idiosyncrasy of cantis that i've just forgotten?? fwiw, the bolt and fork were both new when installed with the factory threadlocker on the bolt threads.
i can't imagine this being a problem on the rear since the wheel rotation would just push it further into the boss even if the bolt fell completely off. but that would really suck if the bolt fell off on the front brake, leaving it to dangle by the cable and get caught in the spokes.

grease and tight.

benb
11-09-2015, 08:07 AM
My TRP CX9s have not had any issues with the mounting bolts coming loose, but I definitely torqued them with a torque wrench and they came with a healthy amount of blue loc-tite on the bolts.

However I do think the spring tension adjusters on those same brakes might be backing out a little during riding. I've had to adjust the tension several times the past few weeks. I finally opened up the brakes a little and that seems to have made it more tolerant. It seems like Mini-Vs have to be set up with exactly the right cable tension for everything to be perfect.