PDA

View Full Version : OT- Techniques for cleaning tools?

Ken Robb
11-08-2015, 11:00 AM
I just inherited some wrenches/sockets that were "stored" lying around on a work bench. They are pretty grimy and a couple of them have some rust. If I wash them in a bucket with dish soap and water and dry them immediately with a towel will I be happy with the result? Is there a better/quicker way? There aren't many with any rust so I guess steel wool or wire brush in my Dremel will handle them?

They are nice Craftsman pieces. I haven't inventoried them yet but I think they will probably be redundant to my rather complete assortment but I just hate to see neglected tools. I guess it's similar to my desire to adopt all the dogs in the pound. :beer:

Dead Man
11-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Douse them in WD-40, let soak, and wipe clean... bronze bristle brush is good for rust and won't scratch the steel. Definitely wouldn't get ratchets or sockets wet - no need, and water's hard to displace.

For gummy/sticky ratchets, press the straw right into the joint in a couple spots and blast WD40 up into the join and ratchet the ratchet... blowing the now-rusty oil out with compressed air is bonus, if you have it

Cicli
11-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Douse them in WD-40, let soak, and wipe clean... bronze bristle brush is good for rust and won't scratch the steel. Definitely wouldn't get ratchets or sockets wet - no need, and water's hard to displace.

For gummy/sticky ratchets, press the straw right into the joint in a couple spots and blast WD40 up into the join and ratchet the ratchet... blowing the now-rusty oil out with compressed air is bonus, if you have it

This. Soak them in OMS or Kerosene works well also.

C. Matthews
11-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Neither , ratchets are made to be disassembled. Just a snap ring for most quality brands. Then you give the parts a good cleaning and reassemble with a heavy oil or light grease.
WD40 isn't a lube.

dave thompson
11-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Neither , ratchets are made to be disassembled. Just a snap ring for most quality brands. Then you give the parts a good cleaning and reassemble with a heavy oil or light grease.
WD40 isn't a lube.

We know, it's being used as a cleaner/degreaser/solvent, much like rehabbing dead Shimano shifters with the stuff.

likebikes
11-08-2015, 12:40 PM
parts washer.

Dead Man
11-08-2015, 12:46 PM
WD40 isn't a lube.

Didnt suggest using it as such... However... Youre incorrect. It most defjnitely is a lube, for applications requiring a solvent-carried light lube.

WD40 is a solvent, penetrating oil, lubricant, cleaner, fish bait, and anything else you can think of to use it as, so long as youre using it right.

Ive never bothered disassembling a ratchet.. You certainly can, if that floats your boat, but ive got 20 years worth of abused ratchets that still work perfectly with nothing more than the every 5-or-so-year bath in WD40

Ken Robb
11-08-2015, 02:09 PM
All I want to clean are open end and box wrenches plus some sockets:no ratchets.

dave thompson
11-08-2015, 02:21 PM
WD-40 and a brass bristle brush are your friends. Well, I am too. :banana:

Ken Robb
11-08-2015, 04:48 PM
WD-40 and a brass bristle brush are your friends. Well, I am too. :banana:

So, on my side thus far I have WD-40, a brass brush, Dave Thompson and prune juice. What am I missing? :confused:

rustychisel
11-08-2015, 05:16 PM
tequila

Ken Robb
11-08-2015, 05:25 PM
tequila

Judging by your handle your advice is suspect.

rustychisel
11-08-2015, 05:35 PM
:banana::banana::banana:

it's worth 0.2c, same as everyone else's.

eddief
11-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Sandflex blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0N3d5zv_s0

thwart
11-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Dave Thompson and prune juice.

tequila.

Wow. This thread has moved off topic a bit. :rolleyes:

dave thompson
11-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Wow. This thread has moved off topic a bit. :rolleyes:

That's the OPs fault, he started the drift. Besides if you drink enough Tequila, your tools won't be clean but you won't care.

shovelhd
11-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Oxalic acid, as what's in CLR.

jeffwidman
11-09-2015, 02:25 AM
I bought a toolchest off Craigslist a few years ago full of nice, but terribly grimy tools. I spent an afternoon scrubbing everything with Simple Green + a toothbrush, cleaned up really nicely. Just don't use Simple Green on any aluminum (it eats into it), only steel. Alternatively, nearly boiling water works just as well, as long as you can hold the socket/wrench with pliers while you use the toothbrush on it. And after degreasing, consider re-coating the tools with a light bit of grease or oil as a rust protectant if you don't think you'll regularly use them. My personal preference is a rag with a little bit of SuperLube because it's non-toxic and doesn't feel super greasy. I tried a rag dipped in motor oil, but it dissipates too quickly. If the tools were just greasy, but not super dirty grimy/greasy, I might consider just wiping them down and calling it good. GarageJournal.com is your friend on this sort of thing. Also, I recommend Nitrile gloves + goggles to protect the skin/eyes from splashes if you're scrubbing hard... I've had too many close calls--even got a chunk of metal in my eye once while grinding despite wearing safety glasses.

oldpotatoe
11-09-2015, 06:22 AM
All I want to clean are open end and box wrenches plus some sockets:no ratchets.

Pan of diesel and a stiff brush. Problem with using water based cleaners is that they are water based=rust.

alancw3
11-09-2015, 08:50 AM
if it is a one time only thing for a set of old tools ask your mechanic if you can use his solvent cleaner/parts washer.

Ken Robb
11-09-2015, 09:20 AM
if it is a one time only thing for a set of old tools ask your mechanic if you can use his solvent cleaner/parts washer.

This may be my best option. The tools that I started collecying in 1967 has never been rusty because I always wiped them down with a dry rag after I used them. Living in SoCal's dry climate since 1969 neither I nor my tools have been subject to long periods of damp air either.

Ken Robb
11-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Dish detergent in hot water and a Scotch Brite Pad did an amazing job on grease, grime and surface rust. A couple of pieces had spots deeper rust that I will ignore as even those tools are fully functional.

drewellison
11-09-2015, 05:56 PM
I've used Evapo-Rust for years. It really does just remove the rust and leave everything else. It works great in my experience.

Ken Robb
11-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Years ago I used naval jelly which removed the rust but left the steel discolored.