PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Tactics - Potential Giro SPOILER

Brian
05-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Now that it’s apparent Salvodelli doesn’t have a chance of winning the Giro (he'll be lucky to make the podium at this rate), when is Dicso going to unleash Danielson? Are they really going to make the Great White Hope nurse Paolo through every climb in the hope that he can hang on to a podium spot?

I was watching the replay of today’s stage. At one point they showed Danielson pulling Salvodelli up the final climb. Danielson looked bored with the pace, while Salvodelli was suffering. It was obvious that Danielson could go much faster as he had to keep looking back to make sure he hadn’t dropped Salvodelli.

Maybe Disco is waiting for a certain day to let Danielson do his thing…

Argos
05-23-2006, 03:53 PM
After the thrashing they took today, I would imagine they should maybe ease off and start preparing for July.

I doubt Danielson is ready to compete at the level of Basso.

Maybe that's just me.

MartyE
05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
I doubt anyone is ready to compete at the level of Basso.

I think it's let er rip and go for stage wins at this point, this Giro
is in the bag.

marty

dauwhe
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I believe Danielson finished several minutes behind Savodelli today; did he ease off (under orders) after it was clear he couldn't do much for his leader?

I suppose tomorrow will answer some questions!

Dave

mtflycaster
05-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Yes. It is all very curious. TD is working for Savoldelli, so in theory he is not as fresh at the start of the climb and maybe he really was hurting today. The days may be taking their toll. Or maybe he was ordered to conserve for tomorrow. Dunno.

However, I will be disappointed if TD finishes outside of the top 10. I think the Vuelta will hopefully tell us more about the future of TD, i.e., destined to be a grand tour competitor, or just a superdomestique.

In any case, I think it is unfortunate that there has been so much hype about TD, e.g., the Velonews cover last year. Just let him ride and see what happens.