PDA

View Full Version : Moots RD hanger - what's it made of?

jimoots
11-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Hey all.

Had a crash on my moots the other night - all is well, both the bike and myself just have minor cuts and bruises.

I've noticed that the derailleur hanger is quite bent.

Are the Moots hangers alloy or titanium? I've tried bending it out by hand but it seems quite resistant to doing so.

Essentially I'm wondering if it is worth buying an alignment tool or just getting a new hanger all together.

Thanks!

AngryScientist
11-07-2015, 02:28 PM
i assume it's a replaceable RD hanger?

if it is, you should get a new one. they are made to be a weak link, a disposable item, once you bend a replaceable RD hanger, throw it away and get a new one.

happycampyer
11-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Certain Moots models have non-replaceable derailleur hangers, such as the RSLs and the older SLs. Irrc these derailleur hangers are made out of 6/4 ti. You would know if yours was one of these--the dropout and hanger would be made out of one solid piece of titanium, it probably wouldn't be bent, and your rear derailleur would probably be destroyed. As AS explained, the replaceable derailluer hangers are meant to be a sacrificial part. They are made of aluminum, and you can get them directly from Moots:

Moots Shop--Replaceable Derailleur Hangers (http://moots.myshopify.com/collections/components/products/moots-replaceable-der-hanger)

lhuerta
11-07-2015, 03:32 PM
....and yes, if u r going to install the replacement hanger u MUST use alignment tool to align new hanger with ur dropout.

11-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Depends on which frame it is. They have several different ones.

The mountain bikes and at least the Psychlo-X RSL share the same ti replaceable hangar. I have a couple listed in Classifieds if you need one.

jimoots
11-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Certain Moots models have non-replaceable derailleur hangers, such as the RSLs and the older SLs. Irrc these derailleur hangers are made out of 6/4 ti. You would know if yours was one of these--the dropout and hanger would be made out of one solid piece of titanium, it probably wouldn't be bent, and your rear derailleur would probably be destroyed. As AS explained, the replaceable derailluer hangers are meant to be a sacrificial part. They are made of aluminum, and you can get them directly from Moots:

Moots Shop--Replaceable Derailleur Hangers (http://moots.myshopify.com/collections/components/products/moots-replaceable-der-hanger)

Understand the theory but expected it to be more malleable by hand.

The situation I am in is that being in Australia, the hanger costs $25 and shipping costs $45. Add to that the conversion and I'm looking at about AU$100 for a hanger. Not ideal.

I'm trying to source one locally from the distributor... they've indicated they might have one and they're going to look around for it, but I think it's a part time gig for the distro so it might take a minute.

I bought a DAG-2 in the meantime and have straightened the hanger as a short term fix.