PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Ottrot and Nove

wookerZ
05-23-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm considering purchasing either a Nove or springing for the extra $2K for an Ottrot ST - can anyone tell me the significant differences between the two?

davids
05-23-2006, 03:04 PM
They share the same basic design philosophy: carbon top- and down-tubes, carbon seatstays, and titanium everything else. But the Ottrott refines just about every one of the tubes.

The Ottrott has a butted and tapered titanium seattube and highly engineered, conically-shaped "Colorado Concept" carbon top- and down-tubes. The Nove has a straight-guage titanium seattube and simpler "Colorado Concept" carbon top- and down-tubes. The Ottrott is available with either classic titanium or carbon ST seattubes. The Nove has the non-pivoted CS carbon seattubes. I'm pretty sure the two bikes share the same chainstays, head tube and bottom bracket designs.

I'm guessing that the state-of-the-art tubing utilized in the Ottrott allows Serotta to tune the frame's ride and handling characteristics to a greater degree than the Nove, and makes the Ottrott even lighter than the Nove. But I wouldn't know from my own experience. I've never ridden an Ottrott. But I own a Nove, and it's a great bike, a canny blend of rigidity and compliance that's quite remarkable.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the Ottrott is even better. As to how that might translate into $$$ - That's your call!

If you have specific questions about the Nove, let me know. Good luck!

92degrees
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
when i bought my Ottrott the Nove wasn't out yet. i kinda doubt that i could tell the difference between the two if my Ottrott didn't have the ST stay -- which I can notice compared to Ottrotts i've ridden without the ST.

buechse
05-24-2006, 01:32 AM
I have never ridden an Ottrott but I have ridden my Nove just yesterday night. So I can't compare but I can tell that the Nove is simly a wonderful bike. It keeps all the promises that are told in the catalogue or on the website. Stiff and compliant at the same time. I really don't miss anything. The CS rear already does a great job in making the rear end smooth. Bottom bracket and front end are stiff enough for everthing - climbing, sprinting and descending at 80 km/h. Just wonderful.
Probably the TT and DT of the Ottrott look a little bit nicer - the carbon has a more obvious structure. But if you get a nice paint everything is just perfect!

Have fun with the decision. You cannot go wrong.

cheers,
Peter