PDA

View Full Version : Commuting Possibilities

TimB
05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
So...

Soon, I will be moving to NC and will trade in my 32 mile interstate commute for a 7 mile commute along a signed bike route. For the first time in my life, commuting by bike will make sense. (When I was teaching in northern MN, I had a 4 block commute, it only made sense to WALK.)

AND, I've been given the green light by The Boss to get a new bike for commuting. Not wanting to break the bank here, I am thinking in the range of less than $1000 complete. I'd been mostly thinking a flat-bar road bike, but as I was driving home today the thought struck me - why not a mtn bike with slicks for commuting, always then could get me some knobbies if I wanted to hit dirt. Not knowing - would a mtn bike (say hardtail) have rack and fender mounts? Any other drawbacks? My other idea was maybe a Gunnar Crosshairs - but that'd stretch the budget a little.

Also, for 7 miles - is a rack and panniers overkill? I will have shower facilities at work, an office to leave shoes, and a casual work environment. Would a backpack suffice?

Thanks for any advice!

Bud
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
You'll love the bike commuting. My commute is about 7.5 miles each way on good shoulder and bike paths. I ride my Fierte (my only road bike) which I can keep in my office during the day. A backpack works fine for my hauling needs, though I was stretching it this am with a dozen bagels, cream cheese, and lunch (and the usual laptop, papers, etc). I suppose it all depends on what you need to take to work. I keep a stockpile of clean clothes in the office so I can change (and shower there if I have to be presentable).

If the weather is really bad, I ride the bus which is very convenient. The stop is 1 block from my house and drops my 50m from my building. The bus is great for those days when I need ot haul in clean clothes and haul out dirty clothes, too.

Keep us posted on your plans> :)

bironi
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
A nice fixed gear. Try it, you'll like it.

CNY rider
05-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Make sure whatever you end up with either already has fenders or is set up to accomodate them. It will make a huge difference in how often you get to ride, and how much you ultimately enjoy it. That pretty much means you're not going to be using this bike as a hardcore mtn. biking machine on the side.

FWIW I started commuting about a year ago. The snow makes it impossible in the winter months, but whenever possible I ride, and it's a great way to start the day. Sometimes, it's actually the best part of the entire day. :beer:

mosca
05-23-2006, 02:44 PM
is a rack and panniers overkill?

Hey, don't be that guy, get yourself a fixed gear bike and a messenger bag and represent!! ;)

Seriously, I'll second the vote for going fixed. I do a 6 mile commute about two or three times per week and I love riding the fixed gear. Check out the Bianchi San Jose or the Redline 925, they both look well suited to commuting.

I'd also recommend a small messenger bag for clothing. I like it better than a backpack because it sits lower on the back and its easier to access while you're wearing it.

Sounds like you have an ideal work situation for cycle-commuting - enjoy!!

flydhest
05-23-2006, 02:45 PM
I'd actually suggest a drop bar road bike. Every so often I spontaneously decide I have some time and the inclination and "take the long way home" and put in an extra 10-20 miles. More fun on a real road bike.

Bud
05-23-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd actually suggest a drop bar road bike. Every so often I spontaneously decide I have some time and the inclination and "take the long way home" and put in an extra 10-20 miles. More fun on a real road bike.

Good point, fly. When it's nice and I have the time, I'll turn the 7.5 mile ride home into a 20-30 miler. I'll also go for a lunchtime ride every now and then. Having a road bike gives me that flexibility.

Fixies are cool and I'd love to have one someday, but I couldn't ride it to and from home very easily. There's a pretty substantial descent (on the way in) and climb (on the way home) of about 8%.

Kevan
05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
the San Diego commuting test (I failed, it passed), with a 10 mile route, I found the backpack to be a perfect solution, plus one waterbottle. I'd borrow a small towel from the hotel that day and bring a clean shirt and change of under clothes. Pants, belt and shoes were left at the office.

I'd be inclined to consider a single speed if the route was flatish. Otherwise, I'd stick with a road bike because sometimes, when you're feeling your oats, the seven miles just ain't enough, you'll find ways to add some miles for the enjoyment of it all.

I would suggest a bike that doesn't call too much attention to itself, particularly if the bike isn't parked under your nose.

One other thing... don't buy the bike until you've done the route a couple times and possibly discovered additional details that might sway your decision. A mtb wouldn't be my first choice, but if the roads were particularly knarly or some sweet single track was spitin' distance, I could be persuaded.

learlove
05-23-2006, 03:01 PM
So...

Soon, I will be moving to NC and will trade in my 32 mile interstate commute for a 7 mile commute along a signed bike route. For the first time in my life, commuting by bike will make sense. (When I was teaching in northern MN, I had a 4 block commute, it only made sense to WALK.)

AND, I've been given the green light by The Boss to get a new bike for commuting. Not wanting to break the bank here, I am thinking in the range of less than $1000 complete. I'd been mostly thinking a flat-bar road bike, but as I was driving home today the thought struck me - why not a mtn bike with slicks for commuting, always then could get me some knobbies if I wanted to hit dirt. Not knowing - would a mtn bike (say hardtail) have rack and fender mounts? Any other drawbacks? My other idea was maybe a Gunnar Crosshairs - but that'd stretch the budget a little.

Also, for 7 miles - is a rack and panniers overkill? I will have shower facilities at work, an office to leave shoes, and a casual work environment. Would a backpack suffice?

Thanks for any advice!

First off, congrats on being able to commute. I wish I could but being an airline pilot kind of rules that out. In my crashpad (part time apartment for airline pilots) in DCA I keep a Kona, "Jake the Snake" cross bike. The frame is a battleship and parts are a shimano tiagra/105 mix. It's a great all-around bike or If you can only have one bike. I paid 1100 even in March od 2005 for mine at a shop outside DC. Kona also makes the "Jake" which is the same frame but alittle lesser spek and a triple crank for about 700 - this would also be ideal IMHO.

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=352&parentid=253

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=351&parentid=253

For 3 years in highschool I worked in a bikeshop in eastern PA. It was 7 miles each way and when I worked full time in the summer I always road it. I kept a pair of sneakers in the shop and used a backpack to haul cloths and lunch to and from work.

If the wx was good I used my Cannondale which was my race bike back then and did the days training mixed with the commute. If the wx was bad I road my MTN bike or my old Fuji "rain bike". Anyway it was a blast, if only I could have thoes days back.

Fixed
05-23-2006, 03:04 PM
bro if I were you i'd use a back pack a mess bag is great for getting into without having to take it off and larger loads I use one everyday .. but for a change of clothes a backback i.m.h.o. bro for 7 miles i'd wear my work clothes. oh yeah i do
cheers

crossjunkee
05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
There is only ONE way to carry your items to and from work by bike.

http://www.courierwareusa.com/

Better than anything I've used.

Onno
05-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I strongly encourage the use of rack and pannier. I commuted with a messenger bag or backpack for years, but the pannier allows me to ride unencumbered. A bag or backpack gets you a lot sweatier, shifts around, raises your center of gravity, inhibits your ability to see behind you etc. A pannier is easily stuffed and easily removed. Some people feel it may not look as cool as a faux messenger bag, but who cares.

Bradford
05-23-2006, 03:13 PM
I prefer to commute on a touring bike, which gives you a good position for traffic, rack and fender braze ons, and extra water bottle braze ons under the down tube, which work perfectly for a headlamp battery. I also prefer to commute on wider tires, which a touring bike can take (I can use up to 700x37 Top Tours on mine).

I have also commuted on a mountain bike with slicks and did not like it nearly as much as the touring bike. I just don’t like the position that I’m in on my mountain bike when on the road for that long.

I think a rack is essential. Even when I only have one pannier on, I think a rack is a much better way to carry weight than a back pack. I don’t like the feeling of weight on my back when I ride. In addition, it seems that I often pack much more than you would think, and often it is too much to be comfortably carried on my back, even when I leave shoes in the office.

If you want to keep the cost down, pick up a used Cannondale or Trek touring bike and use that as your commuter.

rpm
05-23-2006, 03:21 PM
I only commute 3 miles, but I'd do the same things for 7:

--I use a backpack--Jansport with the gel straps, so it doesn't cut into my shoulders.

--I keep sportcoats (including a blue blazer of course) and dress shoes at the office and ride in my dress shirt, tie and pants. Unless it's really hot, I slip on a pair of loose tights over the pants to keep them from getting dirty.

--I wear LL Bean dress chinos or similar in a poly-cotton blend, and buttondowns also in poly-cotton, or no wrinkle cotton. Traditional wool slacks and cotton shirts aren't good for riding. Dress clothes made for travel from Bean and Travelsmith are especially good.

--I wear really nice ties. If you're in an office, nobody will notice your chinos and cheaper shirts if your shoes are polished and you have a nice tie.

--What bike you use might depend on where you can park it. If you're parking is indoors and secure ride the nicest road bike you can afford. If not, ride something you can afford to lose.

Kevan
05-23-2006, 03:29 PM
What are the other toys being kept in the office bike rack? That might help tell the story.

Also.......... at the shop where I was working, the folks who commuted simply left there cables and locks behind, to be used the next day.

Ozz
05-23-2006, 03:43 PM
here you go:

http://bianchiusa.com/06_volpe.html

everything you need, for about $900. Add some fenders, buy a messenger bag and you are still under a grand.

or go fixed:

http://bianchiusa.com/06_san_jose.html

for about $600

:beer:

flydhest
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
. . . I didn't mean to dissuade a fixed gear, I sometimes put the extra 10-20 miles in on my fixed gear. It was the flat bar. I find flat bars uncomfortable for miles upon miles of road riding.

What facilities exist at work Tim? We have a dropoff for a dry cleaner/laundry service. I wear a suit every single day, but keep 5 or 6 of them in a closet here and rotate them. I use a courier bag--I really prefer it to a back pack because it sits a bit lower. I only need to bring in socks and boxers from time to time. Oh, and coffee.

We have armed guards (ask Tom Byrnes, he came and got the 5 cent tour) so I don't even lock my bike in the garage. There is, however, a bar where people lock their locks over night. That's handy. Commuting with a lock has ups and downs. I used to do it, and it made it easier to stop for a drink on the way home during weather when there isn't outdoor seating.

bluehorseshoe
05-23-2006, 04:26 PM
A couple of thoughts...

For seven miles, anything will work. Buy something you want to complement the bike you already have, and give you a differnet experience. Fixie? Mtb? lowrider? Sure, why not. You can always commute on your road bike if you prefer (especially if you have secure, in office storage).

I built what I thought was the ultimate commuter: an old, rigid mountainbike, with fenders, a rack, and flat pedals, and slick tires. (Taking off the fenders and swapping tires for mtb duty was easy.) In all but the worst rains, I found riding my road bike with a messenger bag more compelling - just more fun, and the lunch ride or afternoon ride was a _lot_ better for me. I miss the rack and panniers most in the summer, when its muggy (which I hear happens in NC sometimes). I never miss the sluggish handling and spin-out gears of the mtb. What makes the biggest difference for me in commuting is lights, and a stash of clothes, shoes and toiletries at work, not the bike.

If you don't have secure storage, the calculus changes a bit: I'd start working the budget with the biggest lock I could find (Kryptonite NY chain?) and then find a Peugeot UO-8 at a garage sale for $10.

Cheers.

Fixed
05-23-2006, 04:56 PM
I strongly encourage the use of rack and pannier. I commuted with a messenger bag or backpack for years, but the pannier allows me to ride unencumbered. A bag or backpack gets you a lot sweatier, shifts around, raises your center of gravity, inhibits your ability to see behind you etc. A pannier is easily stuffed and easily removed. Some people feel it may not look as cool as a faux messenger bag, but who cares.
bro i agree unless you are a mesenger why would you want to look like one ?. I'd much rather ride with no bag... try carring a bag full of x-rays man they are heavy . i have to use one you don't
cheers

RichardSeton
05-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd go with the drop bar too. Summers up here in the Pacific Northwest (PNW) are so nice, I've occasionally turned the 20 mile ride home into 50. Great stress relief.

mosca
05-23-2006, 05:16 PM
unless you are a mesenger why would you want to look like one ?.

Have to admit I have a little messenger-fantasy thing going on. I'm sure that I'm easily identified as a poseur though....

Fixed
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
bro if i could i trade jobs with you for a day.... there are good things about it. ..but
.I'm on my 17 th year, future 60 year old messenger doesn't sound to good .

TimB
05-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I already have a fixie (Gunnar Street Dog - based on the Crosshairs cyclecross frame, it DOES have mounts for racks and fenders and supposedly will accomodate 38mm tires with the fenders on) and am considering that, but the route is somewhat unknown. I've driven it a couple times, but it's hard to know without riding exactly what it's going to feel like. I am no faint-hearted fixie-fan by the way, I've done RAGBRAI twice on my fixie, and once a double metric. Unless the route proves really hilly, that'll likely be my first choice.

I think I am leaning toward a Jake the Snake (thanks, it's one I was considering) or a Gunnar Crosshairs if the route proves too fixie-unfriendly. I just want something I can ride in less than perfect weather - fenders. In nice weather I'll probably ride my Ritchey Road Logic, then pick up with the employee group ride at noon - this would also be theoretically possible on the cross bike too.

The facilities will be great - the company has a large on-site fitness center (with a large indoor pool!), not sure about bike storage, it's something I'd overlooked.

And it sounds as though a messenger bag is the favored means of transporting gear. I'll be able to wear jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers, or shorts and sandals in the summer. Being a computer geek has its rewards.

TimB

Rapid Tourist
05-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi TimB--I commute a few times a week 10-14 miles each way. I vote for panniers and a rack. I don't like the way any bag feels up against my body, and putting the load on panniers carries it lower, giving you more stability.

I too extend the commute sometimes for stress relief, and wouldn't want to be wearing a bag or backpack for those rides.

Just my $.02
Have fun! Do it solo on the tandem every now and then to confuse your coworkers.

Brian Smith
05-23-2006, 08:31 PM
bro if I were you i'd use a back pack a mess bag is great for getting into without having to take it off and larger loads I use one everyday .. but for a change of clothes a backback i.m.h.o. bro for 7 miles i'd wear my work clothes. oh yeah i do
cheers

If you go for a bag on your body (bodybag?) then listen to the man. double strap backpack is the way to go. single-strap shoulder bags are meant for maintaining access to everything inside the bag while weariing it. If you don't have an overwhelming need to maintain that access (such as checking an address on a package whilst sitting upright riding down the road) then don't suffer the long term consequences of wearing a shoulder bag.

By the way, you can also be functional and still be cool at the same time - get a double strap backpack bag from a real messenger bag company. That's what I do nowadays, and I wish I'd started doing it much sooner. Some companies that offer them, iirc, are Chrome, RELoad, PatPac (the name may have changed, it's a BC company), 420 Designs (still around?), Bailey works, and others. You can find links with eye candy and contact info for the companies at messengers.org.

A bag made by a real messenger bag company will last through 10 years of abusive commuting.

Smiley
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
surly cross check www.surlybikes.com

djg
05-23-2006, 09:24 PM
As someone else said, you can ride nearly anything for seven miles (with a few qualifications we might imagine). Ride the road bike you have, use a backpack you have, and after a week or so you'll get the lay of the land. You'll confirm or refine your sense of what you typically need to carry, what can be kept where, and what the bike storage conditions are like.

For heavy loads and/or longer distances, a touring bike with racks and panniers has clear advantages. For seven miles with low to moderate loads, you don't need that, although you might find that you prefer that setup anyway.

For most other things, I prefer road bikes and for bars I prefer drop bars. You can get all manner of new fixies for under a grand nowadays, and both fancier and plainer stuff used. A grand can buy a very good used road bike, if you just want another one. There's nothing wrong with getting a cross bike, especially if it will do double duty riding actual cross courses, but I'm not sure there are other major advantages to a cross setup for somebody riding to work on a paved bike lane. When I had a seven mile commute and didn't need to carry all that much, I found that a large lumbar pack was more comfortable than a backpack and pretty spacious. I also tried various backpacks--I liked suspended cycling-oriented packs by Vaude and Deuter better than most--they keep the weight low, they're stable, they're narrow (which frees up your shoulders and arms), they keep hard pointy things from sticking you in the spine, and the airflow business sorta kinda works. Some folks like trunk racks and if you look around you'll see all sorts of handlebar and/or seat mounted bags.

flydhest
05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I'll be able to wear jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers, or shorts and sandals in the summer.

I now hate you.

bigbill
05-23-2006, 11:13 PM
I drove to work six times last year. I have a Soma Smoothie ES (around $350 for frame/fork) built up mostly with parts I had laying around from upgrades. I had to buy some long reach brakes (tektro $35) and the necessary PW stainless bottom bracket. I use plastic SKS fenders and a avenir rack and bag. BTW, I commute in Hawaii so I wear Lake SPD sandals for my 26 mile round trip each day. I have a large camelback that I wear once a week for "laundry days" otherwise my daily needs are met by the rack bag. I can fit a 28mm armadillo on the back but the fender/fork clearance limits me to a 25 in the front. Armadillos run kind of big anyway. My gearing is 12-23 with a 39/48. I have no climbs of any significance and a few loops that I can add to make the ride home around 30 miles if I choose. I am living the lifestyle, I rode last week with a sinus infection, I just rode slower. Not smart I know.

BTW, GVH has a good deal on a Soma Smoothie with 10S 105 stuff. It will take fenders.

Peter P.
05-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Panniers or backpack, doesn't matter. I use both at about the same distance. Most backpacks will easily out-capacity small panniers, and the extra space/ ease of packing a backpack is nice. But, I like not having the bulk on my back...repeat; I don't think there's much of a difference.

Bike-An ATB would be fine, but ditch ALL suspension. Install 26x1.25" tires. My favorite is the Avocet Cross II. Hard to find but the tread is deep, long wearing, and smooooth on the road. Next best bet is the Panaracer Pasela 26x1.25". You don't need anything wider. I equipped my ATB as above for some quasi-road riding and it is blistering fast at accelerating.

Lastly; fenders. The first time you get caught in the rain, they will have paid for themselves. Get full fenders from SKS or Planet Bike.

Ray
05-24-2006, 05:43 AM
I rode last week with a sinus infection, I just rode slower. Not smart I know.
If I didn't ride with sinus infections, I'd almost never ride. Maybe that's why I almost always ride slow.

I've commuted by bike for several years and there's no one solution, even for one person. Some days I felt like a road bike or fixie with a messenger bag. Some days a sport tourer or cross bike with a large saddlebag. Some days the townie with rack and panniers. I liked them all at times and hated them all at times. The only constants were fenders and decent raingear if there was ANY chance of rain, and spd or flat pedals - couldn't stand dealing with Look cleats at all of those stops.

-Ray

zip
05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Tim;

Next time you are around you should check out my Prowler, a very comfortable ride indeed. It is a mountain bike with slicks, great for casual riding. The bike was about $700, the paint pushed it a bit over the $1,000 mark.

KevinK
05-24-2006, 01:56 PM
At-work bike security is really a deciding factor. Where I work we have a dedicated employee lockup that is very secure, so I can ride my Serotta in on good days with no worries. My REAL commuter is a 1982 Mercian Vincitore with drop bars, DT shifters, fenders and really good lights. My commute is 11.5 mi each way along riverside bike paths and then onto busy collector streets, and lights to see and be seen are a high priority. I use a Light & Motion Solo Li-ion system for my main headlight with a small Cat Eye LED backup, and two blinking Cat Eye LED taillights. I keep a change of clothes at work so I ride in my cycling clothes and whatever weather gear is needed for that day. I wear a fanny pack for my keys, wallet, change of underwear and socks, and other small items.

Kevin

gasman
05-24-2006, 02:36 PM

I agree. I commuted on a hardtail with slicks for years but it was a drag to take the long way home if I had time. I bought an alu C'dale drop bar bike to commute and have been very happy I did so. Of course fenders and puncture proof tires are required in Oregon.

Bruce
05-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I commute 4 miles each way every day, even in the winter when it is 10F out. I can take the train home if it is raining or snowing on the way home. I drive if it is raining or snowing in the morning.

I ride a full touring bike with full fenders and a rack. The drop bars are nice for road riding. I can't imagine doing any distance on flat bars. Painful! You want to use panniers as they hold way more than a backpack ever will, plus the keep the weight low and off your back. I commute with a lock in case I want to shop on the way home. I sometimes load both panniers up with produce from the local farmers market. No way that would fit in in any backpack I know of. Communting in NC means HOT in the summer, so a backpack here means for sure a shower in the morning when you get in. I can avoid a shower in NY with 4 miles at a leasurely pace, but at 7 miles, I would need one here as well.

You will need a light and a way to attach a battery. Water bottle cages are the obvious choice here. I leave the charger at work and make the company pay for the juice to power my lights. I park the bike inside the office, so security is not a problem.

The reason I use a touring bike for commuting is so I can justify a touring bike. Now to get out on a tour!

shaq-d
05-24-2006, 03:28 PM
i agree; rack and panniers is a must. you'll make do with backpack, then backpack tied to rack, for a while, but you'll eventually go to rack and panniers. so skip all that go to rack and panniers ASAP :)

sd

flydhest
05-24-2006, 03:48 PM
contrarian again.

I use a courier bag. I commute only 3 miles each way, however. Of the 250 or so business days a year, I commute by bike about 245. Through snow, sleet, rain, even (I'm not making this up) when a huricane came through the area. I go grocery shopping with my courier bag. I've had a watermelon in it. No fenders, no rack, no panniers. Heck, most of the time I don't have lights, but it's all on completely illuminated city streets.

6day_rider
05-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I commuted 43 miles a day for about a year. Fenders and a rear rack to support my small carradice saddle back. Generator hub up front because I got tired of charging my battery twice a day. Be at work by 6am and sometimes leave at 4pm meant for lots of night riding. Just ride slow in the morning and give yourself time to get there and you won't have to get too sweaty. I kept a container of baby wipes and deodorant just to clean up. Casual mfg. environment so no three piece suits. Left shoes and pants in a locker at work. One of the cute girls who worked there took me out for my birthday so I guess I couldn't have been too smelly. Insert whatever appropriate forum abbreviation should go here.

Kevan
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
but for cyclmutes such as my own, there is no way would I consider carrying anything more than what fits in a jersey or vest back pocket. I'm doing 20+ hilly miles each way and don't intend on encumbering myself, or by fact, add more time to the road. Frankly, I find the ride as it is to be a bit lonely, thus boring. In the morning I’m out by 5:30-6:00 a.m., haven’t eaten anything, I just want to get the ride over with. In the evening, I have some liberty to make the ride last as long as there is some daylight left, having done about 50 miles on occasion.

Ten miles to me would be the ideal commute; it’s enough to stretch your legs and wake you up. Short enough for those days when you just want to get there (office or home).

Facilities at the office are poor, the space under my desk is strewn with articles of cycling haberdashery, left to dry out. Honestly, it isn’t very professional appearing. I’m currently working on a solution. I’m fortunate the office doesn’t mind the bike being kept in the office space.

CNY rider
05-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Facilities at the office are poor, the space under my desk is strewn with articles of cycling haberdashery, left to dry out. Honestly, it isn’t very professional appearing. I’m currently working on a solution. I’m fortunate the office doesn’t mind the bike being kept in the office space.

I love it! I take the spare chair in my office and use it as a drying rack for my commute clothes. My ride in is 7 mostly downhill miles so I don't get funkified, but I do like to let things air dry. I've gotten some real interesting looks. Apparently a lot of folks have never seen what a cycling chamois looks like. One of my research associates even bought me a mini-clothes drying rack for Christmas!

majorpat
05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I also recommend the touring bike (Trek 520 with rack & panniers in my case) as it will get the job done and can be used for the "long way" home after work for some mileage. Sweat? After about 1/4 mile it is inevitable, no shower at my place but a sink and running water works allright. Try a washcloth with rubbing alcohol if in dire need of de-stinkifying. Bad for skin and you smell like the emergency room vs. an armpit but works. I use a blinking cateye up front to be seen (no nightime riding for me) and just bought a flashing red LED light for the back. It's from a fire equipment dealer and is VERY noticeable, brand name is "Lite Tracker". Have fun.

spiderman
05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
i was a fair weather commuter for a few years
until 2005...
...i now bike in all kinds of weather...
and love it!
the ottrott st for clear, dry days
and the colorado III
fixed, for anything else...wood fenders, hope light, dugast 28s.
the bike arrangement/commuting kept me from buying a fourth car.
my wife and eldest daughters are driving to school with different schedules,
so the volvo, suburban and explorer are all spoken for...
...no one seems to be speaking for my fixie but me.
how sweet it is!
quaff the experience!!

mosca
05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Have fun! Do it solo on the tandem every now and then to confuse your coworkers.
But watch out for hop-ons!

TimB
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Riding a tandem solo is actually a bit unnerving - to me, the bike actually handles better with someone in back.

I'm not sure there's a 'tandem slug line' anywhere for me to pick up stokers.

And, as an aside - the second time I did RAGBRAI - must have been 2002 maybe, there was an 'unusual' fellow riding his tandem - with a blow-up 'doll' riding stoker. Yep...a-huh.

Thanks again for all the input - I think I may try to make due with my Gunnar fixie for now - unless the route proves to be completely discouraging of riding fixed, in which case I'll likely go for a drop-bar bike of some type, either cross (since I don't have one) or touring (ditto) - but just make sure of the fender and rack mounts. There too, for now I think I'll try a backpack - with two tiny kids I'll not be at liberty to 'take the long way home' for several years.

This (http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=45) might work too...

dwightskin
05-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Check out the Bianchi Castro Valley - 1x9 drive train, all steel, short horizontal dropouts, front dynamo. With fenders (but no rack). MSRP is $800 and you can find them for $700 on closeout. Seems perfect for your commute.

I've been commuting daily in Minneapolis for 9 Years (who says you can't commute in winter in MN?). I would definitely go with a pannier and rack. I normally use just one pannier for all of my clothes and lunch and when I need to take more I use two panniers.

PM if you need any other tips.

Dwight

rePhil
05-26-2006, 09:23 AM
To me commuting gear depends on individual situations.Equipment preferences, weather ,distance ,etc.I have a 22 mile RT. I picked up a Ti frame with an Ouzo on closeout.To replace an aging, rusting steel bike chose Ti more for the corrosion and rust issue than anything else.It doubles as my rain bike. Built with Campy 8 and leftover parts It's been everything I needed. I seldom need light but have a them when the need arises. I don't use fenders. If heavy rains are forecast I will usually drive.
I ride with an inexpensive jansport backpack, carry my days clothing and lunch.Even in Florida a sweaty back has never been a problem.I leave my shoes at my desk.
Working with a bunch of women I tired of hearing the questions & comments about lycra and bought some Zoic baggy shorts, and picked up a few plain jerseys from e bay.
I am able to keep my bike inside so security is not an issue.I wish I had a nickel for every question I have been asked about my cycling.

Kevan
05-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Working with a bunch of women I tired of hearing the questions & comments about lycra....

I get a lot of good natured ribbing as I try to slip in and out of the office dressed in my lycra shorts. The cat calls and wolf whistles are all done in good nature, but in different office settings I'm not so sure my "dress code" would be appreciated. While the men's room serves as my telephone booth at the end of the workday, there's no real way for me to ditch my "Clark Kent" clothes once I'm in my Superman suit, but to parade back to my desk to stash them. People here are now used to me, but I'm not so certain other companies, and their distinct cultures, would be willing to look the other way.

Silly side note: Early on in my commuting there was a woman her who would hold her hand out, blocking her view of "the bulge". I openly laughed at her; I'm not that impressive.

72gmc
05-26-2006, 12:48 PM
I commute year-round, and feel very fortunate that my new office has a locker room with showers on the first floor. I wear bikin' clothes because my trips are long enough to merit them (~45 minutes each way, plenty of hills) and because I can sneak in/out with minimal exposure, as it were. If I still had to play Superman in the restroom on my floor I would wear baggies for modesty and courtesy toward co-workers who don't want to see buns of steel while they eat their maple bars.