PDA

View Full Version : HED Bastogne wheels

rpm
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
For all these many years I've worn sensible shoes and ridden sensible 32 spoke wheels. I've resisted all the low-spoke count high zoot wheels. But now I'm tempted by the Hed Bastogne wheels:

http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/bastogne.php

They're way light and appear to be made to be tough, and for me have the advantage of being locally made. They're not cheap, but at $650 they're less than a lot of fancy wheels.

Does anybody have any experience with them? Or heard any buzz about them?

Bruce K
05-23-2006, 01:27 PM
I just got my set Thursday and logged 2 - 50 milers over the weekend, including about 2 - 1 mile sections of scarified pavement.

The wheels are light, smooth, and seem to be quite durable (they didn't get knocked out of true on the "pave").

They seem to roll really well. I spun the front in the stand and it accumulated almost .2 miles on the odometer before it stopped. On the road, downhills topped out as good or better than any other wheelset I own.

I am a big proponent of HED products anyways, but these seem like a really good wheelset for pre-builts.

I plan to use them as travel wheels and will also be moving them to my cross bike for the Ramble and the fall cross season.

BK

Too Tall
05-23-2006, 01:28 PM
They sure look alot like Velocity Factory builds to me. Hugi Onyx relabled hubs yada yada.

For the $$ you can get a better wheelset with a live person behind the wrench to talk to.

To coin a line...I'm just a tall schmuck...what do I know ;)

Bruce K
05-23-2006, 01:30 PM
TT;

It is my understanding that the wheels are assembled in MN. At least mine were.

You can always call Ann Hed or Andy and talk to a real person at HED Cycling.

BK

Fixed
05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
bro go for it if something goes wrong you just drive them to the factory .
cheers

Too Tall
05-23-2006, 01:41 PM
walks like a duck....talks like a duck... ;)
http://velocityusa.com/wheels/road-deepvroad.php

Bruce K
05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey TT;

What should I say, I guess it's a global economy. :rolleyes: ;) :p

Could be the same rims and hubs.

The spokes are similar to the bladed ones on the ALPS wheels. The fronts have nipples at both ends of the spoke. Rears at the rim only.

The rim profile looks different to me. The HEDs seem more rounded at the center.

BK

rpm
05-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Bruce--

Thanks for the info. Do another ride report after you've put some more miles on them. The dimensions of the rim (27 mm deep vs. 30) and the look of the front hubs makes me think that they aren't just warmed over Velocitys'. Like Fixed can do with AC, I can always drive up, look at them, and ask the Heds directly.

Bruce K
05-23-2006, 04:55 PM
No problem.

I should have another 200 on them by Monday night. My feeling is that the next real test will be the off road stuff.

As another piece of info, mine have a couple of extra spokes front and rear as I go 205-215#.

The bearings, hubs, rims, and spokes are all the same stuff.

BK

nm87710
05-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Velocity Deep V??? How would HED take off ~550grams off to make the Bastogne?

Spicoli
05-24-2006, 08:03 AM
I have Stingers as my go fast wheel and love them.............

With regard to the Velocity connection IMO dont think so. My buddy has a pair of Bastognes and loves them aswell. The hubs are the same as mine, Sonic front and Hed something or other in the back. His are pretty stinky light too, and Deep V's are HEAVY! I have Velocity Focus (I think) hoops and Zipp hubs that weigh nothing on the wifes bike and they are still 1550gr ish. So FYI Deep V's are even heavier. Back to the Heds, light, strong, great hub qaulity, great service if needed, the only rub is that you may want to throw the extra couple hundred in and get some Alps, Stingers, or Jetts? As far as a wrench behind the wheel IMO I go for the crew at Hed since most other stuf I can build myself in my own garage.

Good or Bad thats how I see it?

Bruce K
05-24-2006, 08:31 AM
As an owner of both ALPS and Bastognes I am not sure which I would pick if I was going to own 1 set.

The Bastognes are lighter, the ALPS more aero (and cooler looking).

Both ride great.

On a budget limit, you won't be disappointed with the Bastognes.

BK

Brons2
05-24-2006, 10:29 AM
their web site does not load for me.

Bruce K
05-24-2006, 11:02 AM
www.hedcycling.com

Loaded just fine a minute ago.

Try again. :D

BK

tv_vt
05-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi - I've been following this thread cuz I've been interested in a new set of wheels, too. Bruce K, you said your Bastognes had extra spokes front and rear - did I read that right? How did you get those? I don't see that option on the Hed website for the Bastognes.

Thanks. Appreciate all the ride reports on wheels.

Thom

Bruce K
05-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Thom;

I think either you (for a direct sale) or your LBS could contact HED and ask for a higher spoke count.

Knowing that I am not one of their 140# / 5% body fat racers, the folks at HED have suggested a higher spoke count, especially where these are going to end up on my cross bike.

My ALPS were built with 4 additional spokes per wheel as well.

BK