PDA

View Full Version : Market for Used and New bike gear

rugbysecondrow
11-06-2015, 09:33 AM
So, I have been out of the buying and selling of bike gear for 2-3 years. I recently moved and decided to downsize some, selling a few bikes, parts etc. I have noticed that the market for used gear has decreased quite a bit. Stuff that would sell no problem a few years ago is stagnant, not just on the forum but also on Craigslist. I thought that maybe by prices were off, so I checked Ebay and calibrated my expectations. I wasn't trying to get rich at all, frankly I just wanted the stuff out of my garage.

Anyway, this isn't a gripe so much as it is a curiosity. Has anybody else noticed this? Is this just for used goods or has the new market been slower as well.

Cheers,

Paul

weisan
11-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Rugby pal, the market fluctuates.

>>frankly I just wanted the stuff out of my garage...

Hey you know what... I am YOUR guy. pm me. :D

redir
11-06-2015, 09:38 AM
I've not bought or sold much recently either but generally early spring is a better time for selling I think. Maybe end of January when the days start to get noticeably longer and people start craving spring rides.

Anyway... Whatta ya got? :D

saab2000
11-06-2015, 09:38 AM
The world is flooded with bike stuff. When I sell on eBay I basically try to cover my costs, even for good stuff.

The reason for this, in my estimation, is the explosion of fairly high end stuff and the renewal of that stuff every couple years. eBay is full of good Campagnolo and Shimano stuff for really cheap in many cases. Wheels are a steal.

The hard-to-find, desirable stuff goes quickly and for good dollars.

Wheels are the biggest sham in my opinion. Really expensive wheels depreciate super fast. To me this means they are wildly overpriced out the door and with proprietary things like hubs and spokes quickly become obsolete. This, combined with this year's hottest new development makes super nice wheels from even 2 years ago hard to move.

SoCalSteve
11-06-2015, 09:39 AM
So, I have been out of the buying and selling of bike gear for 2-3 years. I recently moved and decided to downsize some, selling a few bikes, parts etc. I have noticed that the market for used gear has decreased quite a bit. Stuff that would sell no problem a few years ago is stagnant, not just on the forum but also on Craigslist. I thought that maybe by prices were off, so I checked Ebay and calibrated my expectations. I wasn't trying to get rich at all, frankly I just wanted the stuff out of my garage.

Anyway, this isn't a gripe so much as it is a curiosity. Has anybody else noticed this? Is this just for used goods or has the new market been slower as well.

Cheers,

Paul

Very much so. Especially on here. Especially on higher end ( more expensive ) items. You may have to go the eBay route. Sadly. Of course you can just give things away. Then people come out of the woodworks. I know from experience.

Good luck!

Mikej
11-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Everybody is holding out for the new pedal axle industry standard -

Seriously, bike manufacturer's have made it so difficult that I hate having to buy stuff.

texbike
11-06-2015, 10:04 AM
I think that you have to strategically pick your audience based on what it is that you're selling.

Some things are better sold on Craigslist, Paceline has its place, and eBay tends to reach a broader market (although it has its own set of pains along with the fees).

Texbike

SoCalSteve
11-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Everybody is holding out for the new pedal axle industry standard -

Seriously, bike manufacturer's have made it so difficult that I hate having to buy stuff.

How have they made it so difficult? Besides bottom bracket standards, what else? Curious, as I haven't found this to be true at all. And, if you do have a question, there are plenty of places to go to get the answers.

weisan
11-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Look pals, what Rugby had just unloaded the motherload from his garage onto me! I think he still got a couple of bottle cage nut, cable end caps and what-not left, contact him quick!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1f/16/d4/1f16d462527caf6131b20dffb8d933fb.jpg

rugbysecondrow
11-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Rugby pal, the market fluctuates.

>>frankly I just wanted the stuff out of my garage...

Hey you know what... I am YOUR guy. pm me. :D

If you rode a 60cm, I might take you up on that.

An example was my Cyfac. I thought it was priced well, then I lowered, lowered and lowered the price. I finally dropped the price to $150 here and still no nibbles. $150 for a top notch frameset. Even on Craigslist it was listed for $150, which means no shipping, and still not even an email. This is quite a bit different than a few years ago when selling it would have been an issue, now I was basically giving it away with no nibbles.

Like I said, I am not mad, just a little confused. This was just an example, I have seen it with other parts as well.

The market changes, which is why I thouhgt I would ask. Being out of the game for a few years, I didn't really know where I was in the cycle.

Cheers!

Paul

jonnyBgood
11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm in the same boat...

I have tons of cycling clothing that maybe has been worn once. Heck some of it not at all... just hanging in my closet. Pearl Izumi Craft all of it is Kits -Bibs and Jersey to match just sitting :eek:

texbike
11-06-2015, 10:19 AM

An example was my Cyfac. I thought it was priced well, then I lowered, lowered and lowered the price. I finally dropped the price to $150 here and still no nibbles. $150 for a top notch frameset. Even on Craigslist it was listed for $150, which means no shipping, and still not even an email. This is quite a bit different than a few years ago when selling it would have been an issue, now I was basically giving it away with no nibbles.

Like I said, I am not mad, just a little confused. This was just an example, I have seen it with other parts as well.

The market changes, which is why I thouhgt I would ask. Being out of the game for a few years, I didn't really know where I was in the cycle.

Cheers!

Paul

I think your Cyfac is a unique example. First, it's a TT frame but not marketed as such. Second, it's a Cyfac. 99.9999% of the US population and probably 99% of the US cycling population doesn't know what a Cyfac is. As respected as they are, most people just haven't heard of them. If you look at another Cyfac ad on the forum right now, it's having the same issues...

Texbike

weisan
11-06-2015, 10:22 AM
I'm in the same boat...

I have tons of cycling clothing that maybe has been worn once. Heck some of it not at all... just hanging in my closet. Pearl Izumi Craft all of it is Kits -Bibs and Jersey to match just sitting :eek:

you need to pick up the phone and call me...pronto!

1-800-Wei-San1

kramnnim
11-06-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm in the same boat...

What size?

Cheap 11sp Shimano from the UK killed resale value of a lot of things...who wants 10sp wheels? I wonder if people don't have money to spend on bikes, or do they have enough money to buy new...

rugbysecondrow
11-06-2015, 10:32 AM
I think your Cyfac is a unique example. First, it's a TT frame but not marketed as such. Second, it's a Cyfac. 99.9999% of the US population and probably 99% of the US cycling population doesn't know what a Cyfac is. As respected as they are, most people just haven't heard of them. If you look at another Cyfac ad on the forum right now, it's having the same issues...

Texbike

Understood, but even factoring in the uniqueness, a few years ago it would have sold for $150.

But that is also why I asked the question, whether my observation was what others had also observed, or just weird luck.

Cheers

FlashUNC
11-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Its a buyers market right now.

That's the shortest answer.

jonnyBgood
11-06-2015, 12:53 PM
you need to pick up the phone and call me...pronto!

1-800-Wei-San1

I'm 5'11" and 190lbs and used to Ski Downhill and Dual Slalom competitively so I have big Quads and I'm pretty solid.

I like the race cut so most of the Kits I have are XL or XXL. I wear a XL in Rapha Classic stuff and XXL in their Pro Team stuff

pdmtong
11-06-2015, 01:05 PM
I think that you have to strategically pick your audience based on what it is that you're selling. Some things are better sold on Craigslist, Paceline has its place, and eBay tends to reach a broader market (although it has its own set of pains along with the fees). Texbike

The selling problem originates with the buying problem.
Buying tips
- Buy for need at the time of need
- Resist buying simply because it is a good deal (stop hoarding)
- Resist having multiple complete builds in your box "waiting" for a frame
- Stop upgrading every season
- Short sleeve, long sleeve full zip, quarter zip, road, mtb. how many jerseys does one really need?
- Buy cheap, sell cheaper

If it is too late to arrest the buying problem
Selling tips
- Anything will move, on any venue, if the price is right
or
- You may not like the price, but at the right price everything sells (ex: my $150 hydration pak got crickets until it was $25. Then ten PMs appear....)

jonnyBgood
11-06-2015, 01:08 PM
What size?

Cheap 11sp Shimano from the UK killed resale value of a lot of things...who wants 10sp wheels? I wonder if people don't have money to spend on bikes, or do they have enough money to buy new...

Most of the Kits I have are either XL or XXL. Like I mentioned in the post above I'm in great shape and I'm 5'11" 190lbs so most Kits I have to buy the larger sizes even though I'm not "big" by any means.

I was a pretty damn good Skier so I got a lot of things thrown my way. I still have a lot of Kits and Shoes that have been worn very little or not at all.

Pearl Izumi Octane II size 46 Road Shoes that have been worn twice. Shimano M310 size 45.5 and M221 size 46 Mountain Shoes that I have never even worn.

texbike
11-06-2015, 01:24 PM
The selling problem originates with the buying problem.
Buying tips
- Buy for need at the time of need
- Resist buying simply because it is a good deal (stop hoarding)
- Resist having multiple complete builds in your box "waiting" for a frame
- Stop upgrading every season
- Short sleeve, long sleeve full zip, quarter zip, road, mtb. how many jerseys does one really need?
- Buy cheap, sell cheaper

If it is too late to arrest the buying problem
Selling tips
- Anything will move, on any venue, if the price is right
or
- You may not like the price, but at the right price everything sells (ex: my $150 hydration pak got crickets until it was $25. Then ten PMs appear....)

Very accurate post. Especially the bolded text! :)

Texbike

cinema
11-06-2015, 01:37 PM
I only own 2 kits, a warm ish wool kit and a light synthetic kit. they are both expensive so only having two allows me to keep the costs down but have nice stuff anyway.

i am delighted these days if i get 50% of my initial investment. i actually just got close to that on an expensive pair of used tires that i rolled for >200 miles (tires were 110 each and i sold both for 95) I think the more realistic number is 25-30% but expensive, in demand stuff can fetch 50%. Therefore i buy cheap and do not intend to resell ever unless i'm buying upper end gear which i tend to treat better, but it's a chore to always be thinking about not resting it up against a wall, not throwing it in the car, etc.

I tend to be really hard on my daily-use gear so i never even think of reselling it unless it's for a great deal to the buyer, just to free up some room in my place. I just sold an entire like new bb7 brakeset with levers and everything for 35$ and a wipperman chain in box for 20. I just want them gone because GF thinks i'm a bike hoarder and the buyer gets a good deal too. otherwise i will just keep it until it craps out or move to parts bin for future re use. Bike stuff, aside from tires, basically lasts forever until you crash/impact (but then again i am only 130) . and even then i have a set of 5700 brifters that have been in more crashes than i can count working flawlessly

msl819
11-06-2015, 01:52 PM
I can only speak for myself but I do ride your size (60cm) and have looked at the Cyfac several times. My dilemma is that it is a frame set, albeit a well priced one. By the time I bought a group and wheels along with all the various parts needed to build a bike I would end up with 1-2k into the bike. Unless it was a frameset that really appealed to me it is hard to justify. And for that amount of money it would involve me needing to sell something to liquidate funds and I would most likely be right where you are, having a hard time getting stuff sold. I don't want to give stuff away just to buy something that someone else is trying to sell.

Cheers!

Paul

rugbysecondrow
11-06-2015, 02:04 PM
I can only speak for myself but I do ride your size (60cm) and have looked at the Cyfac several times. My dilemma is that it is a frame set, albeit a well priced one. By the time I bought a group and wheels along with all the various parts needed to build a bike I would end up with 1-2k into the bike. Unless it was a frameset that really appealed to me it is hard to justify. And for that amount of money it would involve me needing to sell something to liquidate funds and I would most likely be right where you are, having a hard time getting stuff sold. I don't want to give stuff away just to buy something that someone else is trying to sell.

I agree.

It seems the market has softened some. With all forum sales, you hope you can pass along a deal while also solving your own problem ( reason for selling).

I would have given away, but if I am going to go through the hassle of boxing, shipping, etc, it is just not worth it.

I put it on the Bay for a higher price, see if I get an offer. If not, Free on CL. I enjoyed the bike, but I want the space more than the bike, so the money isn't worth the space the bike takes.

Funny how this stuff works.

I also wonder how FB enthusiast pages have impacted places where people buy and sell gear. I have seen quite a few sprout up.

The forum must seem like the classified ads compared to gear which just arrives in your newsfeed.

thwart
11-06-2015, 02:24 PM
I also wonder how FB enthusiast pages have impacted places where people buy and sell gear. I have seen quite a few sprout up.

The forum must seem like the classified ads compared to gear which just arrives in your newsfeed.
Great, I'm even more of a dinosaur than I thought... :D

The market for used bike gear in general currently seems about as soft as I have ever seen it... which is since 2006, when I got back into cycling. Even worse than peak recession years of '08-'09. IMO.

Why? Who knows... likely many factors including (as mentioned above) the unprecedented new groupset prices we've seen over the past year or two.

shovelhd
11-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Two recent changes that have softened the market are 11 speed Shimano/SRAM and disc road/cross wheels. I have two sets of high end tubular rim brake road wheels that I'm going to wait until spring to sell. The prices are in the toilet now.

msl819
11-06-2015, 03:08 PM
I agree.

It seems the market has softened some. With all forum sales, you hope you can pass along a deal while also solving your own problem ( reason for selling).

I would have given away, but if I am going to go through the hassle of boxing, shipping, etc, it is just not worth it.

I put it on the Bay for a higher price, see if I get an offer. If not, Free on CL. I enjoyed the bike, but I want the space more than the bike, so the money isn't worth the space the bike takes.

Funny how this stuff works.

I am not at all telling you what to do but over time I have found myself in similar situations as you are in. Rather than offer it free to whoever claims it and most liked tries to flip it, why don't you try to find someone local to you and your size and gift it to them. I have tried at times to find someone who wanted to start riding or needed something to make riding more enjoyable and this do it more, and just give stuff away. I live in a college town so I am hardly ever at a shortage for people who want to ride but are short one funds. I would much rather have a new riding partner and hopefully a lifelong cyclist than putting a ad for it for free in CL.

rugbysecondrow
11-06-2015, 03:19 PM
I am not at all telling you what to do but over time I have found myself in similar situations as you are in. Rather than offer it free to whoever claims it and most liked tries to flip it, why don't you try to find someone local to you and your size and gift it to them. I have tried at times to find someone who wanted to start riding or needed something to make riding more enjoyable and this do it more, and just give stuff away. I live in a college town so I am hardly ever at a shortage for people who want to ride but are short one funds. I would much rather have a new riding partner and hopefully a lifelong cyclist than putting a ad for it for free in CL.

That makes sense.

Thanks

Paul

Ken Robb
11-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Most of the Kits I have are either XL or XXL. Like I mentioned in the post above I'm in great shape and I'm 5'11" 190lbs so most Kits I have to buy the larger sizes even though I'm not "big" by any means.

I was a pretty damn good Skier so I got a lot of things thrown my way. I still have a lot of Kits and Shoes that have been worn very little or not at all.

Pearl Izumi Octane II size 46 Road Shoes that have been worn twice. Shimano M310 size 45.5 and M221 size 46 Mountain Shoes that I have never even worn.

As my smart-ass father used to tell me:You may be pretty tall at 6'1 (he was 5'8) but you would have been a lot taller if God hadn't folded so much of you under to make your feet (size 12-he wore 7 1/2). :p

jonnyBgood
11-06-2015, 04:07 PM
As my smart-ass father used to tell me:You may be pretty tall at 6'1 (he was 5'8) but you would have been a lot taller if God hadn't folded so much of you under to make your feet (size 12-he wore 7 1/2). :p

I don't get it...

All I was trying to say was I'm not a big heavy guy and I wear a XL or XXL ?????
Everyone thinks if you weight 220lbs or more you wear a XL or XXL

Ken Robb
11-06-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't get it...

All I was trying to say was I'm not a big heavy guy and I wear a XL or XXL ?????
Everyone thinks if you weight 220lbs or more you wear a XL or XXL

I think that we both have feet that are a bit bigger than the average man of our sizes. That's all there was to get. Friday humor.

avalonracing
11-06-2015, 06:35 PM
I believe it is due to the constantly changing "standards", the planned obsolescence and the fact that the industry has convinced everyone that they HAVE TO HAVE the latest thing to be competitive with their Strava time. Finally the industry has gotten everyone use to spending big money on the latest thing as most of the younger riders have been brought up with this short product cycle for high end bikes mentality.

dave thompson
11-06-2015, 07:59 PM
I think the Paceline has changed. Before, in the day, Serotta attracted a different group of people here, more attuned to higher-end, top line and IMO finer things. Now it seems to be less. Still good people but different. I'm stunned by what doesn't sell here, like Rugby's Cyfac

Mikej
11-06-2015, 08:00 PM
How have they made it so difficult? Besides bottom bracket standards, what else? Curious, as I haven't found this to be true at all. And, if you do have a question, there are plenty of places to go to get the answers.

I mainly ride mountain bikes with my sons- look at how many shimano chain rings are in the QBP catalogs-and none fit when I buy unless they are xt or xtr- I had to machine down the inner bcd. Oh and 8 9 10 and -11 speed drive trains. Pedals are actually the least of my problems, but all 4 of "my" bikes have a different bb / headset. Oh some are a
Quick release some through axle some 142 etc. sure I could go out and buy all up to date rigs, but my kids have use the hand me down trek 9.8 etc- and the new bike my oldest son wants is boost - and he is now 3" taller than me @ 6'3"- so he gets a new one- I have a best friend who runs a large local chain shop and he feels the same - you really can't stock much- also I am fully outfitted to fix bikes - I even run the mills and lathes in our model shop at work making odds and ends- and things to fit.

tiretrax
11-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Rugby's cyfac appealed to me, but I don't ride a 60, nor do tri. It's an odd duck that will appeal to a small number of people. That doesn't mean he has to give it away, just that it won't sell quickly. I like the idea of gifting it to a local person that will ride with you or a charity that gives bikes to low income kids in your area. It should appraise for much more than what you were asking so the tax deduction will equal or exceed what you'd get in cash.

DRietz
11-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Hey Rugby - if you're open to the idea of gifting stuff away, I bet one of these (http://www.trifind.com/Clubs/FindATriathlonClub.aspx?state=NC) NC tri clubs has some bean sprout of a kid who would love your frame.

The used market is hard. I often end up selling stuff here for pretty much zero gain, but I'm way happier to see it put to use and to have those few dollars in my pocket for a hot meal or two (college student here, YMMV).

Luckily, I'm able to donate a lot of my used clothes and stuff like that to the local high school MTB team or to my own teammates.

SoCalSteve
11-07-2015, 01:22 PM
I think the Paceline has changed. Before, in the day, Serotta attracted a different group of people here, more attuned to higher-end, top line and IMO finer things. Now it seems to be less. Still good people but different. I'm stunned by what doesn't sell here, like Rugby's Cyfac

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one, Dave. I also find this to be true.

Even though I hate selling on eBay, it does bring in a larger $$$ amount. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not.

RyanH
11-07-2015, 06:40 PM
I also think a lot of it has to do with the time if year. Power meters are one example. The same Quarq pm's will go for as low as $600 on eBay around this time of year and later (I can't recall when) they start fetching a little over a grand.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

DfCas
11-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I listed a Lemond Poprad frame and fork here and got no interest. No silly offers, basically nothing. Its a well thought of frame that is not disc.

I'm riding a new ti frame with canti brakes as I prefer them to disc. I must be weird.

ultraman6970
11-07-2015, 07:39 PM
IMO x-mass is coming... a lot of people is just waiting. Too many new and used stuff in the market too, so buyers can wait if they want.

The market for steel bikes is soft too, and probably will continue like who knows till when. People is loosing jobs too...

93legendti
11-07-2015, 08:01 PM
If you can't sell for a price that you like, there are always trades

rodcad
11-07-2015, 08:07 PM
I listed a Lemond Poprad frame and fork here and got no interest. No silly offers, basically nothing. Its a well thought of frame that is not disc.

I'm riding a new ti frame with canti brakes as I prefer them to disc. I must be weird.

Well if you're weird I guess I am too. Discs are ok but canti's are just so simple and cheap.

commonguy001
11-08-2015, 06:12 AM
If you haven't tried Slowtwitch for the Cyfac you may want to give it a shot.

oldpotatoe
11-08-2015, 06:16 AM

Rear triangle widths/axle types on cross and MTB(and some disc road bikes-Groad bikes) and also some front hubs/axles/types for forks is in a state pf flux right now. Trek's and Spec-ed's new non standard 'standard' isn't helping.

thattallasiangu
11-27-2015, 04:06 PM
One of the main things I have noticed it the depreciation in prices of items as new models come out. Especially noticeable after the new SRAM components came out.

shovelhd
11-27-2015, 04:10 PM
SRAM depreciates before it comes out.