PDA

View Full Version : Do you use spoke prep on wheel builds?

bocobiking
11-05-2015, 08:13 PM
I was spot truing two wheels today. One, I know because I built it, was built with spoke prep. The other, I don't know. The spokes on the one with spoke prep twisted quite a bit before they would release. The other one's twisted almost not at all. They both are about the same age, and always kept dry.

Just wondering what you all do to the spoke threads before you start building.

R3awak3n
11-05-2015, 08:16 PM
I always use spoke prep.

I know some people here in the forum use lindseed oil. I got a good deal on the spoke prep so I bought it but its a lot of it, will probably last me for 10 years (will probably dry out though :()

AngryScientist
11-05-2015, 08:32 PM
boiled linseed oil.

old school.

my most respected wheel builder pal advised me to use this many moons ago.

no problems to speak of so far.

DRietz
11-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Anti-seize on the spoke threads, anti-seize on the seat of the nipple.

JAGI410
11-05-2015, 08:46 PM
I use Phil Tenacious Oil for my personal builds. Rock and Roll Nipple Cream for shop builds.

jhat
11-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Plain old grease for me, both the threads and on the nipple seat.

bicycletricycle
11-05-2015, 10:01 PM
I built with grease for years but then started using wheelsmith spoke prep.

Now I don't like to build without it.

Not sure if it helps much

apeescape
11-05-2015, 10:04 PM
A good lubricant on the seat of the nipple and threads of the spoke to give a good feel while building. Even and correct tension makes for a strong wheel, not thread-locking compounds. Its this reason I love ENVE rims so much. Great nipple-rim interface and spec allows for high tension.

Davist
11-06-2015, 05:09 AM
I use Phil Tenacious Oil for my personal builds. Rock and Roll Nipple Cream for shop builds.

Pure amateur here, but good to hear I'm not the only one who uses Phil Tenacious Oil.. It works well.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2015, 05:42 AM
I was spot truing two wheels today. One, I know because I built it, was built with spoke prep. The other, I don't know. The spokes on the one with spoke prep twisted quite a bit before they would release. The other one's twisted almost not at all. They both are about the same age, and always kept dry.

Just wondering what you all do to the spoke threads before you start building.

Boiled lindseed oil..have used it between spoke and nipp for 35 years. Mobil One between nipp and rim.

bocobiking
11-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Thanks everybody.

Dr Luxurious
11-06-2015, 09:56 AM
PTFE pipe dope on the threads.
any kind of oil on the nipps (usually tri-flow)

Mark McM
11-06-2015, 10:16 AM
I use grease on the threads, and rely on adequate (high) tension to keep the nipples from loosening.

Wheels designed and built appropriately for their usage don't require gluing the nipples to stay true.