PDA

View Full Version : Fused ankle?

makoti
11-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Anyone riding with a fused ankle? I broke mine years ago, and until now have been able to do whatever I wanted. Ran a marathon, hikes, ride, whatever. Now, I can ride, but with pain. Running is straight out. Hiking is as well. Luckily, I never could dance. ;)
I'm not near ready to do fusion, but am looking down that road. Got a brace for walking that doesn't seem to help much. Going to the Dr tomorrow to ask about injections with the brace. Eventually, it's going to get fused. I'm sure of that.
Anyone know what I'm in for? How much does it effect your riding? What changes did you have to make?

benb
11-05-2015, 02:16 PM
If you were at the point you had to do fusion you might want to consider an ankle replacement too...

They seem rare in the US compared to Europe but my father had one after basically getting to "end stage destroyed ankle" and being in tons of pain for years trying to resist getting it fused.

He's got no pain now and biking is OK but they really don't want you hiking or running a ton on them.

makoti
11-05-2015, 02:47 PM
If you were at the point you had to do fusion you might want to consider an ankle replacement too...

They seem rare in the US compared to Europe but my father had one after basically getting to "end stage destroyed ankle" and being in tons of pain for years trying to resist getting it fused.

He's got no pain now and biking is OK but they really don't want you hiking or running a ton on them.

I'm done running. Going on a hike would be nice, but it would be short. A friend had one replaced (same dr, too), so I'm going to ask about that. First will be injections & see what that gets me. Fusion seems drastic right now, but 2.5 years ago, I could do anything without pain so it's moving quickly. I was really hoping for more improvement with the Arizona brace...

benb
11-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Yah I don't know how old you are.. in your 30s is one thing in your 60s or 70s is another thing. My dad was 62 when he had his replaced IIRC. It was a pretty long & difficult recovery but he's way better off now.

His activity level was never super high so it's not as tough on him as it would be if he'd been a runner or avid cyclist. He does ride his bike some (probably most rides < 10 miles) but it's not regular.

Hawker
11-05-2015, 03:09 PM
OP, sorry for your hassles. I've had a few of my own in the last year and it certainly can be frustrating.

While this story goes beyond yours, I think there may be a few similarities and hopefully you'll find it a bit encouraging.

This is the blog about the injury suffered by the owner of Rivet, the company that manufactures leather saddles. Whew...what a story.

http://rivetcycleworks.com/category/blog/

makoti
11-05-2015, 03:25 PM
OP, sorry for your hassles. I've had a few of my own in the last year and it certainly can be frustrating.

While this story goes beyond yours, I think there may be a few similarities and hopefully you'll find it a bit encouraging.

This is the blog about the injury suffered by the owner of Rivet, the company that manufactures leather saddles. Whew...what a story.

http://rivetcycleworks.com/category/blog/

Thanks for the read. As soon as I get somewhere that will let me read it (work won't), I'll check it out. The pic tells me it wasn't fun...

Dan0930
11-05-2015, 10:40 PM
I have a friend with a fused ankle. She has various issues because of bone necrosis due to an accident. She rides tons and is in pain but gets it done

ultraman6970
11-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Interesting they plan to go to the patagonia w/o taking a plane, there are some places in that route that you simply can't do even in a 4x4, they have to take at least a ferry to get to the patagonia, there's maybe 1000 kms that have no roads at all.

The trip is going to be tough in that ankle, more than nothing because of the wind, is not easy to ride with 40 to +100 km/h winds.