PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Steel Bicycle / Modern Wide Rim Advice Needed

19wisconsin64
11-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Hi All,
A fellow forum member just sold me a mint condition Davidson bicycle, complete with original C Record Campagnolo parts and Cobalto (Super Record) calipers. The bicycle is from around 1986 or so. It's pretty amazing, and is even better riding than the DeRosa (just an opinion/preference) that I rode for many years.

Well, it's 2015, and rim technology has come a long way. The newer / wider rims change the entire ride of the bicycle and bring the riding experience to another level. So, I'm thinking of lacing Pacenti SL23 modern rims to the existing hubs. Is there a reason not to do this? I've been riding the bicycle with 25 mm Continental tires, but still these are a far cry from the HED Aredennes wheelset I have in terms of smoothness, comfort, low rolling resistance.

Should I go for it, or will these rims simply not fit? I'm concerned about getting the best riding rim, but also one that has be best braking performance, so I'm pretty convinced from fellow forum members that these rims are the way to go.

Thanks in advance for your collective advice and experience.

bicycletricycle
11-05-2015, 01:24 PM
go for it.

rccardr
11-05-2015, 01:27 PM
The rims themselves will fit, but you may need to replace or thin down the brake pads. Chatted with Kirk about this the other day, and he told me that the '78 Serotta he has outfitted with PL23's and Nuovo record calipers required some pad reworking.

AngryScientist
11-05-2015, 01:28 PM
i personally think you are totally over-estimating the benefits of wide rims. i've tasted the koolaide and i just dont see it being a "game changer". i'd go so far as saying that given the same bike, 25c veloflex tires and the same tubes and i cant tell the difference between an open pro wheelset and a pacenti wheelset, blindfolded.

that said, the h+son tb14 box section rims in silver are super classy and look great on retro builds, and they are 23mm wide.

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/HPlusSons-TB14-04.jpg

scho74
11-05-2015, 01:37 PM
+1 on the tb-14, also the pacenti pl23.

https://www.benscycle.com/images/Product/large/820-105.jpg

Tin Turtle
11-05-2015, 01:46 PM
I have the tb14 rims and they are super nice.

FlashUNC
11-05-2015, 01:56 PM
You'll be fine.

choke
11-05-2015, 02:04 PM
If you do run into pad problems, modern Shimano style pads/holders should bolt up to the brakes that you have. I'm running them on a set of old Super Record....they are thinner, have more adjustment and provide better braking IMO.