The Chorus and Record ones, best of the best

Just sayin, light, easy to set up, the works

rzthomas
11-05-2015, 09:58 AM
:confused:

R3awak3n
11-05-2015, 10:02 AM
haha.

I actually like my record 10 the most. I love the shape, looks great.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2015, 10:04 AM
The Chorus and Record ones, best of the best

Just sayin, light, easy to set up, the works

BUT, latest shape, UltraShift is more ERGOnomic and doesn't have the spring carrier/spring 'issue'. No big deal but last gen really has nothing that wears out.

IMHO of course.

tuscanyswe
11-05-2015, 10:06 AM
haha.

I actually like my record 10 the most. I love the shape, looks great.

+1

Had 11s super record and chorus n athena. Still prefer good old 10s record.

christian
11-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Yeah, Record 10 or Chorus 10. Every bike has 'em. Well, except the mtbs.

R3awak3n
11-05-2015, 10:22 AM
+1

Had 11s super record and chorus n athena. Still prefer good old 10s record.

it also fits better in my hand, despite the new one being more ergonomic (I will admit it does feel more secure but the old one is more confortable to me)

FlashUNC
11-05-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm a bigger fan of the newer 11 speed shape and design, personally.

downtube
11-05-2015, 10:58 AM
My big hands prefer the new record 11 for comfort, but my record 10 speed shifts better. Just glad I get to have to campy equipped bikes.

ultraman6970
11-05-2015, 11:02 AM
The new shape is piece of cake to take appart and put together.

Hope there's still parts to repair 10 shifters in the next few years, campy is still manufacturing the old 10 speed shifters right?

ik2280
11-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Campy 10 is really nice. Getting a new cross bike for next year - Zanc or IF, probably - trying to decide if I'll go Campy 1 x 10, 2 x 10, 1 x 11, or 2 x 11. Leaning towards buying some NOS Centaur 10 from '07 from Velomine...

oldpotatoe
11-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Campy 10 is really nice. Getting a new cross bike for next year - Zanc or IF, probably - trying to decide if I'll go Campy 1 x 10, 2 x 10, 1 x 11, or 2 x 11. Leaning towards buying some NOS Centaur 10 from '07 from Velomine...

'Escape' guts ala Powershift in 2007/8 Centaur.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2015, 11:28 AM
The new shape is piece of cake to take appart and put together.

Hope there's still parts to repair 10 shifters in the next few years, campy is still manufacturing the old 10 speed shifters right?

Getting the spring that centers the shift lever blade and getting the thru bolt back in back to front is a challenge, imho. Also getting the thum button spring back on the post. 10s easier, imho.

Yes, middle shape 10s Record lever assemblies still made(body, shift guts, shift lever).

Jaq
11-05-2015, 11:50 AM
On a related note... I've a friend with small hands, and she finds that her Shimano shifters (105s, I think) are hard to use. When she's on the hoods, she can't quite get enough leverage, and when she's on the drops, the span is pretty far.

Any 11s shifters that are a better suited to smaller hands? She'll be getting a new bike in a few months, so compatibility isn't an issue. Any bar/shifter combos that might lessen the span?

Thanks.

weisan
11-05-2015, 11:58 AM
imo...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/j-doggy_style/IMG_0658.jpg

ik2280
11-05-2015, 12:00 PM
'Escape' guts ala Powershift in 2007/8 Centaur.

So only one shift at a time? Or am I confusing Powershift with something else?

ultraman6970
11-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Shimano makes good stuff, I recognize it but damn design department. You can tell they came with something out just to do not get behind the others. Campagnolo levers are so simple it is impressive, open a shimano one and remember to take pictures each one second so you can get that thing back together.

Btw they can be repaired too, the problem is to do it.

imo...

weisan
11-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Ultra pal, I have heard many others echoed the same sentiment... So I am gonna put this to the test :D

I got a set of campy 9-speed record shifters that I would like to strip and take it apart all the way down to the last bolt and then put it back together again... Do you know of a place or a document that can provide me with a step by step instruction on how to do that?

Thanks!

soulspinner
11-05-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm a bigger fan of the newer 11 speed shape and design, personally.

Me too. Small hands, the newer design shifts better for my somewhat arthritic digits...

El Chaba
11-05-2015, 12:52 PM
I agree that Campy 10 speed is great stuff. Actually, I think that Campy Record and Chorus components from the 9 speed era are the finest that have ever been made, but the 10 speed are not far off. Honestly the 11 speed aren't far off either, but I think that there have been small, incremental tradeoffs for an extra gear, lighter this, carbon that have gone beyond the ideal balance point that was hit some years ago.....

tuxbailey
11-05-2015, 12:57 PM
I love my Chrous 10 shifter. They fit my hands perfectly, better than Shimano's. I worry about the day when they break. Luckily they can be rebuilt.

thwart
11-05-2015, 01:33 PM

For 'cross, these may actually work better than the upper line Campy stuff (with the ability to dump 4 cogs if you want). Why? At least in my experience, when you're bouncing around and already cross-eyed 'cause you're 25 minutes into a 30 minute race, the fine touch (not really) needed to shift only one cog at a time may 'escape' you. As it did me more than once.

Sorry... bad pun.

Heaven forbid, back when I raced 'cross I actually preferred Shimano for this reason.

I'll deny I ever said that.

mcteague
11-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Like the look of the 10s Campy shifters, prefer the feel of the 11s.

Tim

Coalfield
11-05-2015, 04:53 PM
I've been running Chorus/Record 10sp pre-2006/07 on 3 bikes. Also had Campy 9sp, Veloce & Chorus. Recently decided to try the new Ergo hoods with Centaur 10 on a NOS '99 Pinarello. All I can say is that the old feel of 'solid&mechanical' shifting is long gone in this Centaur version. Only one gear at a time with thumbshifter and longer pedal rotation to engage.

The new Ergo hoods are comfortable, but maybe not more comfortable in my large hands. Maybe I will come to like the lighter feel of shifts. I have read that Athena 11 is similar to Centaur 10 in feel/features, which makes it a pass for me.

Anybody who wants to sell off that crappy pre-2007 Campy10 stuff (affordably) should contact me. I don't need 11 speeds. Nor do I anticipate needing electronic shifting.

Question: Do the new Ergo hoods make the distance to the hoods a bit shorter? Feels like my stem needs to grow by a centimeter to achieve the same reach, but maybe just my getting used to the new set-up.

ultraman6970
11-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Yes...Youtube :D

Ultra pal, I have heard many others echoed the same sentiment... So I am gonna put this to the test :D

I got a set of campy 9-speed record shifters that I would like to strip and take it apart all the way down to the last bolt and then put it back together again... Do you know of a place or a document that can provide me with a step by step instruction on how to do that?

Thanks!

Dan0930
11-05-2015, 10:38 PM
I'm with you guys. I have smallish hands for a guy and campy 10 just fits perfect. I've never had trouble with shifting and they are a breeze to rebuild if needed.

Llewellyn
11-06-2015, 01:12 AM
imo...

I'm with Weisan and I find the 9 speed Shimano Ultegra levers much more comfortable than the 105 10 speed ones I have on my Lynskey. And it just keeps on going and going.

I've never used Campy so I can't comment but I'm sure it's terrific gear. I'd like to try it some day but I'm not too keen on the thumbshifter concept. I had that on a Sora group one time and didn't like it at all. But I assume that the Campy version works much better - any Campyphiles care to enlighten me?

oldpotatoe
11-06-2015, 05:44 AM
So only one shift at a time? Or am I confusing Powershift with something else?

2007/9 Centaur and Veloce one higher gear at a time. Record and Chorus, normal multiple 'up shifts' via the thumb button. Called 'Escape', then Powershift with the newest shape 2011 Athena and below.

**For right above and Sora thumb buttons. Mounted way higher and not possible to really shift via the Sora thumb button from the drops unless you have gorilla long thumbs.

El Chaba
11-06-2015, 06:22 AM
I'm with Weisan and I find the 9 speed Shimano Ultegra levers much more comfortable than the 105 10 speed ones I have on my Lynskey. And it just keeps on going and going.

I've never used Campy so I can't comment but I'm sure it's terrific gear. I'd like to try it some day but I'm not too keen on the thumbshifter concept. I had that on a Sora group one time and didn't like it at all. But I assume that the Campy version works much better - any Campyphiles care to enlighten me?

I'm a huge Campy fan, but I have to admit that when I first saw the Ergopower levers in the early 90's I thought that the thumb button looked flimsy and goofy. In reality, it is plenty robust and despite that fact that it protrudes, it is quite protected from bumps and crashes by virtue of its position. In use it is great in that it can be easily accessed from the hoods or the drops-more easily from the drops in a sprint than Shimano or SPAM IMO....I have even made upshifts when climbing on the tops by stabbing it with my pinky and even caught a little extra gear when climbing a long grade and with my bottle out for a drink by bumping the button with the bottle. So, I've long since gotten over the initial awkwardness of the design.

benb
11-06-2015, 07:45 AM
I've never even rode campy but I'll just pile on and say I hate the Shimano 10s hood shape.. the Campy/SRAM 10sp ones are/were way more comfy to me and the Shimano 11s ones are also a huge improvement.

Interesting someone with small hands saying the new Shimano feels too big, 10sp Shimano feels way too small for me. (I wear XL gloves FWIW) It's like my hand can't fit in the hook.

weisan
11-06-2015, 08:29 AM
I've never even rode campy ...the Campy/SRAM 10sp ones are/were way more comfy to me

er...ben pal, I dunno how you reconcile these two statements?

benb
11-06-2015, 10:46 AM

Just because the SRAM ones look rougly shaped the same way as the Campy ones.

I haven't owned Campy, I have put my hands on the hoods before in the shop.

Incidentally the 9-speed Shimano hoods were definitely fine for me too. It really feels like they designed the 10-speed ones to have less room than the 9-speed ones and then reversed the decision for 11-speed. I have to get just the right bar & just the right positioning of the lever on the bar with Shimano 10-speed to avoid feeling like my hand is getting scrunched.

When I had my Serotta it was too long, but I had SRAM on it.. I was actually semi-OK. As soon as a I put the Shimano 10-speed on it I started messing up my wrists. The reach was a factor but something about the SRAM hoods mitigated the wrist part of the problem.

Jaq
11-06-2015, 12:29 PM
I have even made upshifts when climbing on the tops by stabbing it with my pinky and even caught a little extra gear when climbing a long grade and with my bottle out for a drink by bumping the button with the bottle. So, I've long since gotten over the initial awkwardness of the design.

I like my Campys for plenty of reasons, but the pinky shift is right near the top.

downtube
11-06-2015, 12:51 PM

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/566/22805136316_aa9901dca0_o_d.jpg

jzisk
11-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Four bikes running modern 10-speed cassettes, and four Campag UltraShift brifters. The best. Robust, accurate, comfortable. I've tried Shimano, and handled SRAM... Campy are better in those three critical departments. And on my vintage rides over the years, I've tried many Suntour, Shimano, Miche, Simplex and Huret incarnations... and settled on Campy. The middle year Record and Athena's shift on a freewheel almost as well as indexing. Tulio put together a dynasty with substance.

weisan
11-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Yes...Youtube :D

I even let you dare me into it...Crap!!! Now what? :crap:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
P.S. It took all but 15 mins...even for a first-time novice. Impressive design!

http://alicehui.com/bike/misc/campy9overhaul2.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-07-2015, 09:56 AM
I even let you dare me into it...Crap!!! Now what? :crap:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
P.S. It took all but 15 mins...even for a first-time novice. Impressive design!

http://alicehui.com/bike/misc/campy9overhaul2.jpg

Ahhh oooooh

weisan
11-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Old pal, can I...ahem..er...oo...ah....put em' in a zip bloc bag and ship them off to Boulder and have you put em' back together for me?? :confused: :help: :beer:

oldpotatoe
11-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Old pal, can I...ahem..er...oo...ah....put em' in a zip bloc bag and ship them off to Boulder and have you put em' back together for me?? :confused: :help: :beer:

Be happy to I'll PM my address...

weisan
11-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Be happy to I'll PM my address...

thank you old pal, you are such an old crud...er...I mean, soft, huggy, warm, gentle, juicy, minty....old pal.

You are sweet my friend. I shall not chicken out at this critical moment but march on to complete the rest of my "education". If I crash and burn, if I fail, if I just about to pull all my hair out, if I am tempted to kill someone....you will be the first person I contact.

Thanks again my sweet sweet friend....I am hoping to visit you in Boulder someday, take you out for a beer or two and a nice dinner, just love you up a bit' ...maybe next summer...how's that sound?
:beer::beer:

ultraman6970
11-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Shimano are like 35 parts... vs 24 or 25 campagnolo...

Weisan is not that hard... look at the 10 speed videos and put that thing back up man... the hardest part to me is the coil part. All of the other stuff is like 5 minutes...

In the campagnolo videos the guys do the coil part right away, the problem i always get is that when turning the screw the little pad lever spring gets off position, to fix that I use a 3 mm allen wrench to keep the pad from moving, wedge the tool between the pad and the plastic of the lever. Once i do that you turn the coil spring tension screw thingy like 1/4 of a turn till it fits in position, then the circular plate and the final screw, tight, done.

weisan
11-07-2015, 10:19 AM
ultra pal, thanks for the tip...and the 'dare'...it's all good.