PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Crazyness

bikerboy337
11-05-2015, 07:29 AM
So i have something being shipped via FedEx. Originally it was supposed to be sent to my house, but when I saw the delivery day (Tuesday) i realized that I'd be out until around 10pm that night and didn't want a nice big box full of something expensive sitting on my steps all day, so i modified the shipping to go to my local fedex store (i've done this several times through both fedex and ups). I'm in RI, my store is 2 miles from my house but in MA.

Long story short, the box arrived in Boston on Sunday, got to Warwick, RI on Tuesday (about 8-9 miles from the store that I'm having it delivered ). I figured it would get driven over yesterday, but then yesterday at noon the box decided to take a trip to Newark, NJ and just this morning made it back to Raynam, MA (about 20 miles from the store where it will be delivered).

Is their logistics so bad that they couldn't manage a way to get it from RI to Mass without going back to a hub in NJ! If I had known, I would have just chosen one of the less convenient, but still close stores in RI instead of having this shipped to NJ and back to make it work...

Anyways, just sad at the waste, hoping the extra travel didn't damage anything, and bummed it took an extra few days to be detoured about 2 miles from the original shipping address...

sitzmark
11-05-2015, 07:38 AM
All barcode label/software optimized for system efficiency and speed of delivery. Basically "what do I have where and what's already committed to get the job done." Drivers out of Warwick have their routes and drivers out of Raynham have theirs.

chengher87
11-05-2015, 10:52 AM
I've had a similar experiences with Fed Ex, they are incredibly inefficient. With one recent transaction (about two weeks ago), had something coming in from CT, that went to NY first, then back to the same shipping center in CT, then to another shipping center in CT, then finally went through MA, only to move north to ME, and then back to MA again where it finally went the smartpost route. Took two weeks to actually get it to me (in NH)....from CT.

thattallasiangu
11-27-2015, 04:13 PM
I am currently a student majoring in Operations & Supply Chain Management at the Mihaylo School of Business and Economics. A key concept that is being discussed is how large companies use the 'hub' system. Rather than directly sending one package from one hub to another, companies will redirect it through a system of hubs. Although it may seem like it may cost more to do so, filling holes on empty transportation saves money in the long run. This theory can be applied to airline transportation as well. Rather than flying direct from one hub to another, airlines will send travelers through a system of hubs, filling seats on empty planes. Cutting the cost of the ticket for the customer, and cutting the cost imposed on the spot of a direct flight.

dgauthier
11-28-2015, 08:35 AM
(. . .) Although it may seem like it may cost more to do so, filling holes on empty transportation saves money in the long run. (. . .)

Absolutely. Fed Ex is truly a work of genius. Here is an old interview with Fred Smith that gives some idea of the revolutionary leaps involved:

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2004-09-19/online-extra-fred-smith-on-the-birth-of-fedex

Just because it's not intuitively obvious doesn't mean it's crazy.

Avincent52
11-28-2015, 09:16 AM
In the days before tracking I'm utterly convinced I would send a fed ex package from montclair nj to Manhattan-- 12 miles-- and it would go by way of Memphis.

Iirc the fed ex model was devised as a project at Harvard Business School [correction: Yale undergrad] and he got a less than gentleman's C because the prof deemed it impractical [correction: he doesn't remember what the grade was, but it was probably a "C"]

oldpotatoe
11-28-2015, 10:12 AM
In the days before tracking I'm utterly convinced I would send a fed ex package from montclair nj to Manhattan-- 12 miles-- and it would go by way of Memphis.

Iirc the fed ex model was devised as a project at Harvard Business School and he got a less than gentleman's C because the prof deemed it wildly impractical

If on a plane, yes it 'may'. May also go direct on one of these.

Avincent52
11-28-2015, 10:45 AM
If on a plane, yes it 'may'. May also go direct on one of these.

I was talking about the relatively early days of Fed Ex, when virtually everything went through Memphis.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2015, 10:49 AM
I was talking about the relatively early days of Fed Ex, when virtually everything went through Memphis.

I know some guys who fly for them and most stuff still does go to Memphis first, just like with UPS, most goes to Louisville KY first. Sorted and then out to where ever. Guys do 'hub turns' in the middle of the night. Start in Memphis, fly to small place, USA, drop off, pickup-back to Memphis, repeat.,

Davist
11-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Most everything goes through Memphis, still. We have a division HQ there, and there's a plaque in the airport stating to the affect that MEM is the busiest airport in the world from Midnight to 4AM or something. Per above, it works, but a bit like watching sausage get made..:p

kramnnim
11-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Here's a USPS shipment that was interesting to watch.

http://i.snag.gy/7ZRgU.jpg

The buyer said it arrived in taped together cardboard fragments and looked like it had gotten wet...?