PDA

View Full Version : Spoke length and rim replacement question

jasonification
11-04-2015, 04:14 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/04/ab32218402cffc12f3a0ca9eed1ab7f3.jpg

So.. This happened this morning while riding into the mountains this morning. Glad I made it home safely. Am looking to find a new rim to replace with this while keeping the spokes. This is an Open Pro and from research has an ERD of 602.5 (please correct me if I'm wrong!). Will I be able to use rims with an ERD of 603? Also, are there any recommendations for a replacement rim? Thanks forum!

eBAUMANN
11-04-2015, 04:30 PM
i would think you can probably get away with a 1mm diff in ERD (if you want to re-use the spokes), no prob.

lonoeightysix
11-04-2015, 04:33 PM
i would not reuse spokes or nipples, based on the rim damage. most likely some spokes were under or over-tensioned in your build, either pre or post damage. not worth the hassle, you'd drive yourself nuts on the re-lace with tension.

make sure you measure your current rim unlaced if you are really committed to reusing the spokes and want to find a like-ERD rim. IIRC, mavic doesn't measure ERD the same as other manufacturers. someone more experienced than me probably can remember the over/under with mavic.

Mark McM
11-04-2015, 05:23 PM
The change in spoke length is only equal to half the change in ERD - ERD is the rim Diameter, whereas the spokes span the rim Radius. A 1 mm difference in ERD would mean only a 1/2 mm difference in spoke length, and spokes are only available in length increments of 1 mm, so there would be no difference in spoke length anyway.

If there is no direct damage to the spokes, there is no reason spokes can't be re-used. The elbows are already bedded into the elbow, so if the spokes aren't breaking at the elbows already, there is no reason to think new spokes would be any more durable.

One caveat, however - since the spokes are already bedded into the flange at their own specific orientations and angles, don't remove the spokes from hub when rebuilding the wheel. The most common method is to tape the new rim to the side of the old rim, and simply unscrew the spoke nipples one at a time and shift them over to the new rim - that way, the spokes retain their original orientations in the wheel.

DfCas
11-04-2015, 06:23 PM
I have replaced an Open Pro rim with a Velocity A23, taping 1 rim next to the other and reusing spokes and nipples.

If the spokes have not been breaking I would reuse them, and I reuse brass nipples.

I would not reuse alloy nipples.

jasonification
11-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks! Was wondering as a wheelbuilding noob, why would you choose to reuse brass nipples but not alloy ones?

I have replaced an Open Pro rim with a Velocity A23, taping 1 rim next to the other and reusing spokes and nipples.

If the spokes have not been breaking I would reuse them, and I reuse brass nipples.

DfCas
11-04-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't really trust alloy nips long term and no longer use them. If they are in a wheel I ride I want them to be new.

bicycletricycle
11-04-2015, 06:33 PM

+1 on the reuse comments however I find myself getting new spokes anyways unless the wheel is super fresh and I had an unlucky dent or something.

you could always go with another open pro, they do crack sometimes but are still pretty good overall, DT RR440 are close as well, erd is 599, if spokes are a little long that's okay, as long as they aren't already a little long now.

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 06:56 PM

I've been using 602mm for OpenPro for years and yes, A23 is a fine rim, OC drilling rear. Yes, reuse the spokes, I always use new nipples tho.

JAGI410
11-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Not worth it to save $16. Get new spokes/nipples!

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Not worth it to save $16. Get new spokes/nipples!

$.50 a spoke/nipple...double butts? Sign me up!

HenryA
11-04-2015, 07:20 PM
If you keep the spokes and nipples, be sure to keep each spoke in the same position on the new rim and the hub. Upon rebuilding my rear wheel about a year ago, I did not follow my own advice and it was a pain. Finally replaced everything and the broken spoke surprises went away.

JAGI410
11-04-2015, 09:11 PM
$.50 a spoke/nipple...double butts? Sign me up!

$0.40 for silver, $0.50 for black. Cut to order and includes brass nipple.

https://www.danscomp.com/products/435915/Sapim_Stainless_Double_Butted_Spoke.html

Peter P.
11-04-2015, 09:15 PM

I agree. I wouldn't hesitate to use another Open Pro rim, either. At least that guarantees the spoke length will be correct.

I've done rim replacements like this many times and found reusing the spokes to not be an issue as long as you haven't broken spokes on this wheel previously. My personal rule is, third broken spoke, then it's time to replace 'em all.

xeladragon
11-04-2015, 10:17 PM
What if the ERD difference is 589 v. 592. Can you still re-use? Just curious.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2015, 05:38 AM
+1 on the reuse comments however I find myself getting new spokes anyways unless the wheel is super fresh and I had an unlucky dent or something.

you could always go with another open pro, they do crack sometimes but are still pretty good overall, DT RR440 are close as well, erd is 599, if spokes are a little long that's okay, as long as they aren't already a little long now.

The DT website os wrong on DT440/DT440(OC), ERD is actually 596 and the spokes for a 602mm rim will be really long. I asked DT in Grand Junction about this, they agree it's 596..they aren't sure why they haven't changed it.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2015, 05:40 AM
$0.40 for silver, $0.50 for black. Cut to order and includes brass nipple.

https://www.danscomp.com/products/435915/Sapim_Stainless_Double_Butted_Spoke.html

Yowser, way inexpensive, like 1/2 of what I pay now-thanks..gonna call today.

DfCas
11-05-2015, 09:25 AM
What if the ERD difference is 589 v. 592. Can you still re-use? Just curious.

if the spokes are -slightly- long you may be able to use nipple washers to take up some space. If they are -slightly- short you can use longer nipples.

I've done both.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2015, 10:00 AM
if the spokes are -slightly- long you may be able to use nipple washers to take up some space. If they are -slightly- short you can use longer nipples.

I've done both.

Spoke washers, wee brass things, effectively take about a MM off spoke length.