PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - Stretching tubulars

bikerboy337
11-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Any reason you shouldn't stretch new tubulars on a clincher rim? I always see folks looking for tubular rims for stretching, but wondering if I can just use an old clincher as I don't have a bunch of tubular wheels at the moment...

:help:

FlashUNC
11-04-2015, 10:02 AM
They'll work in a pinch, just not ideal in my experience.

echappist
11-04-2015, 10:15 AM
clincher rims work just fine for stretching in my experience

christian
11-04-2015, 10:42 AM
I've done it. Nobody complained.

Joachim
11-04-2015, 11:10 AM
No wonder people complain about tubulars that are not straight. Stretching on a Campagnolo Record Pave rim only!

bikerboy337
11-04-2015, 11:14 AM
i was planning on pick up your Corima Tubulars so I could stretch my tires, but sounds like clincher rims work just fine... ;)

just wasn't sure if the difference in rim bed would create any issues... sounds like it wont...

my first tubulars arrive today, so i'll learn all this stuff now...

redir
11-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Just make sure you don't forget about it, put that wheel on your bike, and go for a ride ;)

Joachim
11-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Just make sure you don't forget about it, put that wheel on your bike, and go for a ride ;)

I have fixed a flat clincher on the road by replacing it with a tubular. Gets you home....well, it got the person who forgot an inner tube home.

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Any reason you shouldn't stretch new tubulars on a clincher rim? I always see folks looking for tubular rims for stretching, but wondering if I can just use an old clincher as I don't have a bunch of tubular wheels at the moment...

:help:

None at all. I've got one stretching on a DT1.1 clincher rim right now....

As a matter of fact, I got a guy home once by putting my spare tubie on his clincher rim. Really narrow rim, really flat tubular(Gommeitalia I think).

Looked right above, yup, also filled a clincher with wet grass to get somebody home.

Dead Man
11-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Last couplethree I've glued up, I didn't stretch.. just hooked the tire under my foot and yanked, rotated 90* and yanked again... mounted up just fine. Anybody else not even bother stretchiing?

eBAUMANN
11-04-2015, 12:44 PM
certain tires needs it more than others.

no tires need it if you just use tape...which works great in my experience.

jonnyBgood
11-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Did you find some Brake Pads for your Carbon Rims?

You're going to LOOOOVE Tubulars. I've got six sets of wheels between a few bikes and all but one are Tubulars. The Clincher set I use on the Trainer

They may take a little longer to install but it's all worth the ride quality

If you have removable valve cores put some Sealant in there and all is good :D

thwart
11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Last couple three I've glued up, I didn't stretch.. just hooked the tire under my foot and yanked, rotated 90* and yanked again... mounted up just fine. Anybody else not even bother stretchiing?
I'd guess you're not running Conti tubulars.

Dead Man
11-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I'd guess you're not running Conti tubulars.

Vittoria

redir
11-04-2015, 01:14 PM
I have fixed a flat clincher on the road by replacing it with a tubular. Gets you home....well, it got the person who forgot an inner tube home.

Oh yeah. Been there done that too but you don't want to rail corners on it. I had a flat on a tubular once that I replaced with my spare tubular and babied it home. A few weeks later I took the same bike for a ride with the spare still on it. Totally forgot. Nothing happened. Igot lucky because I was cornering on rails. IT's pretty amazing actually how well a properly prepped spare tubular stays on.

But I wouldn't want to do that on a clincher :)

etu
11-04-2015, 01:17 PM
fellow newb tubular rider here
using vittoria tire
mounting is so easy
doesn't seem like they need much stretching, if any at all.

m_sasso
11-07-2015, 12:01 AM
That is a really good way to tear and weaken the threads in the rim tape, and reduce the life of your tire. If you are going to run tubulars I suggest there is a reason the stretching has been done the old world way.

Last couplethree I've glued up, I didn't stretch.. just hooked the tire under my foot and yanked, rotated 90* and yanked again... mounted up just fine. Anybody else not even bother stretchiing?

oldpotatoe
11-07-2015, 05:35 AM

Gotta be careful not to tear the base tape doing this...

Dead Man
11-07-2015, 03:20 PM

YO.... I just experienced a first, about 20 minutes ago: Stripping the old rotten tires off a set of CLINCHER wheels that came with an old '90 Klein I bought a couple months ago - front wheel had an unglued tubular on it!

My astonishment only lasted a moment, until I remember the jury-rigged/mismatched/neglected condition of the rest of the bike, and suddenly I realized a tubular on a clincher rim is actually pretty damn par-for-the-course on this thing.

And no - I don't think it was just on there stretching. It was dirty and worn and sure as crap looked like somebody had been riding it like that.

Dead Man
11-07-2015, 03:24 PM
That is a really good way to tear and weaken the threads in the rim tape, and reduce the life of your tire. If you are going to run tubulars I suggest there is a reason the stretching has been done the old world way.

Well I certainly don't know everything.. but I can't see how this is going to reduce life. I'm not putting anywhere near the sheer force they take just cornering, I can guarantee you.

One rear has 2000 miles on it right now - most I've ever gotten out of a tub by far. It's literally threadbare, but it's still on as secure as the day I glued it.

bart998
11-08-2015, 08:23 AM
None at all. I've got one stretching on a DT1.1 clincher rim right now....

As a matter of fact, I got a guy home once by putting my spare tubie on his clincher rim. Really narrow rim, really flat tubular(Gommeitalia I think).

Looked right above, yup, also filled a clincher with wet grass to get somebody home.

Yep, I've done this too... put a tubie on a clincher rim... when that was the only spare available to get home. Worked fine, rode carefully.