PDA

View Full Version : the full atmo in living black and white

eddief
11-03-2015, 11:06 PM
https://slate.adobe.com/cp/ts5O3/

Louis
11-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Neat. This wasn't documented in that particular story, but e-R is an interesting case of an old-style craftsman making the most of the new-style wired world.

andrew+
11-03-2015, 11:34 PM
Beautiful!

climbgdh
11-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Very cool!!! Will give me a further appreciation for my Sachs when I'm on it tomorrow!!

dgauthier
11-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Wow. Really nice. Thanks for posting!

Tickdoc
11-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Thanks for sharing.

He is one guy who has found his place in this world.

I love the pics, but man would it be cool to see one in color of the finished product at the end.

Nice shots of his RGM Northpointer throughout.

I would love to hang out there for a few days.

Closest thing I've got to a sachs yet :~(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/3ADED94B-367A-46C5-B9B3-7471A756EADE_zps5gnvd4gm.jpg

weisan
11-04-2015, 06:30 AM
http://www.atmo.is/atmo_logo.png

rwsaunders
11-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Thanks for sharing Eddie.

iPaul
11-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Noticed this at the end and got me wondering.

"Thanks for the good times, richie. hugs from one jersey boy to another."

Where was Richard born?

druptight
11-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Nice of him to put up online. Brings me fond memories of using Sachs castings to build #2, and probably the closest I'll ever get to owning a Sachs:

Light at the bottom of the seat tube:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/druptight/IMG_1366.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/druptight/media/IMG_1366.jpg.html)

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/druptight/IMG_1555.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/druptight/media/IMG_1555.jpg.html)

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 07:08 AM
https://slate.adobe.com/cp/ts5O3/

Fascinating but from the pix, he seems lonely...just am impression..I don't know him, never met him..

ANAO
11-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Thank you so much for sharing. I really, really enjoyed this.

benb
11-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Love the black and white... although I agree it's like I was waiting to get some searingly colorful bike pictures at the end.

Loneliness.. you photograph anyone so many times with no one else in the frame and you'll make them lonely, particularly if they're concentrating most of the time on work.

Nice project.

chiasticon
11-04-2015, 07:41 AM
I thought for sure this would be a link to his house listing. it's for sale, btw. link across the hall. maybe if you buy it, you can arrange to have a frame included, and moved to the front of the decade-long list :cool:

thanks for sharing. been meaning to pick up this book for some time but haven't for whatever reason.

paulh
11-04-2015, 08:01 AM
This is nice. I'm not familiar with Slate, but it would be fun to try it. I guess it's mainly an iPad App, but now they made a web based version. At home on my Mac/Safari the screen transitions/scrolling was a lot better than when I looked at it on Windows/IE/Firefox. Anyone know about how this works?

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 08:09 AM
I thought for sure this would be a link to his house listing. it's for sale, btw. link across the hall. maybe if you buy it, you can arrange to have a frame included, and moved to the front of the decade-long list :cool:

thanks for sharing. been meaning to pick up this book for some time but haven't for whatever reason.

Where is he going? Do ya know?

Is he still building? I thought I read he's taking a hiatus?

weisan
11-04-2015, 08:11 AM
he seems lonely...

Nah...don't worry, Richie pal's a family man.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/8104648501_2e7429f461.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/577/21194271584_d273903a92_b.jpg

Mikej
11-04-2015, 08:16 AM
RS bikes should never be B&W -the newer style paint and graphics are really appealing.

rugbysecondrow
11-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Tried to look but it locked up my Firefox...might try on ipad later.

Cheers

malcolm
11-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the post.
e-Richie is one of the old guys I miss. I was never one of the cool kids/insiders and didn't get some of the subtle inside stuff, but always enjoyed his perspective. Richard always seemed to have a well reasoned opinion no matter if I agreed or not. I had several email and pm conversations and bought a bunch of oval stuff from him. Always reasonable and always a gentleman. I for one wish he participated more.
Thanks e-Richie

Ray
11-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Wonderful! Two of my greatest passions - bicycles and B&W photography in one great project. The frames look better in color, but the process is perfect for B&W...

-Ray

SlackMan
11-04-2015, 10:08 AM
This is nice. I'm not familiar with Slate, but it would be fun to try it. I guess it's mainly an iPad App, but now they made a web based version. At home on my Mac/Safari the screen transitions/scrolling was a lot better than when I looked at it on Windows/IE/Firefox. Anyone know about how this works?

Not a direct answer to your question, but I used Adobe Voice on an iPad to create a long, narrated, electronic anniversary card for my wife. It was a BIG hit with her and the zillions of her friends she showed. Slate looks cool too. The video at the link below hints at the differences.

https://standout.adobe.com/

Elefantino
11-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Took me a while to figure out how to scroll through the photos on my iPad and even then I found the program disconcerting. I would much rather have been able to flip through the pages like they were those of a book.

Were it my slideshow I would have figured out how to make it all black and white except for his red Wayfarers. That would have been cool.

chiasticon
11-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Where is he going? Do ya know?

Is he still building? I thought I read he's taking a hiatus?no idea. I haven't read about him taking a hiatus and haven't seen anything to that affect across the hall or otherwise. I saw the listing and just thought "well, he's moving" but maybe it's something more. I do know that their property is in a remote spot that is basically unoccupied all winter and used as vacation homes the rest of the year. maybe they're tired of the remote-ness? but again, I have no facts on it.

tumbler
11-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Man, that was fun. Thanks for sharing.

shovelhd
11-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Fascinating but from the pix, he seems lonely...just am impression..I don't know him, never met him..

I catch up with him at the UCI CX races. He's admittedly quirky but genuinely friendly. Pictures could never do his CX bikes justice. It's very cool to see some of the best riders in the world on them as they pass me in the pits. BTW he can do a bike swap as well as anyone. :)

559Rando
11-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Neat. This wasn't documented in that particular story, but e-R is an interesting case of an old-style craftsman making the most of the new-style wired world.

There's a neat line in the "book" about the only power tools being a small belt sander and a hand drill and RS choosing to use the old technique.

Louis
11-04-2015, 01:41 PM
I saw that. What I meant is that despite the fact that he's the proverbial "single craftsman in his shop doing everything from start to finish" RS has done a great job of integrating old-world with online. (to coin a phrase)

If all one-man shops were able to leverage the interwebs with even a fraction of his skill and success there would be a lot more similar products out there, whether we're talking bike frames, tools, musical instruments, or whatever. Yes, the product itself has to back up the talk, but the ability to harness the web, social media, etc, is a great complement and an important part of his success.

Bob Ross
11-04-2015, 01:41 PM
There's a neat line in the "book" about the only power tools being a small belt sander and a hand drill and RS choosing to use the old technique.

"other than a hand drill, the small belt sander was the only other power tool in the shop."

Yeah, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that concept. I mean, I realize guys were building bikes by hand for decades, but still, no milling machine for mitering tube ends? That takes some serious experience. And balls.
:::genuflects:::

sparky33
11-04-2015, 03:10 PM

I admire anyone who is able to make a real life working entirely on his own terms, regardless of what he does.

an engaging pictorial.

Tickdoc
11-04-2015, 06:48 PM
I've been back twice and it is just really well done.

I may look again :~O

Jeff N.
11-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Very, very cool shots. Like others here, this makes me appreciate my RS that much more.

thwart
11-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Entertaining.

It made me realize the amount of persistence and endurance it must take to turn out frame after frame after frame after frame, all built to a very high standard.

And also why he changed the iconic color scheme.

mg2ride
11-04-2015, 09:03 PM
I thought I read he's taking a hiatus?

Only in regards to his online presence outside of supporting his brand.

I think he did post about that on his blog.

fiamme red
11-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Noticed this at the end and got me wondering.

"Thanks for the good times, richie. hugs from one jersey boy to another."

Where was Richard born?From a 1980 article:

http://www.richardsachs.com/site/1980/04/29/from-would-be-writer-to-bicycle-framebuilder/

Sachs, who spends roughly 60 hours a week in his Chester shop, says he first began leaning towards a career as a professional framebuilder shortly after graduation from The Peddie School in Hightstown, New Jersey in 1971. A native of Bayonne, New Jersey, he had made arrangements to enter college the following spring in order to give himself enough time in which to "knock around a bit and try to earn a little extra money."

iPaul
11-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Thanks for that. Very interesting to learn. He went to a private school minutes from me. He may have riden on the same roads as I do. My next ride will now feel the vibes of his greatness. :banana:

victoryfactory
11-05-2015, 05:58 AM
Outstanding story telling through photography of a unique individual.
Pictures are truly worth a thousand words.
Thanks for the peep show!

VF

ゥvictory factory likes this

weisan
11-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Richie pal is a member of this forum in good standing and he's no lurker, every now and then he would pop in his head to correct any distorted reality or misguided confidence. :D

Well, he's not coming in to this party yet...:rolleyes:

That can only mean one thing...

Everything that's been said about him is all TRUE....and Richie pal is a LEGEND!

oldpotatoe
11-05-2015, 06:04 AM
I catch up with him at the UCI CX races. He's admittedly quirky but genuinely friendly. Pictures could never do his CX bikes justice. It's very cool to see some of the best riders in the world on them as they pass me in the pits. BTW he can do a bike swap as well as anyone. :)

What frame builder isn't.

I admire somebody such as him, finding his own path, doing it his own way, and doing well. I love the small, one man framebuilders. No excitment to get big or try plastic and such..good for hm.

Now, if he would just get away from spam..:D

Tickdoc
11-05-2015, 07:48 AM
He inspires me to want to take a framebuilding class. Something I've always wanted to do.

I'll assume an apprenticeship with him is not a possibility. Surely there are others open to it?

Looking through these pics I had the thought "man, can I just sweep the shop, so I can be a fly on the wall and watch the process?"

The photos are damn near that.

Anyone here taken a class specifically for framebuilding?

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-05-2015, 07:54 AM
A true artist, warrior soul and independent thinker. I do it my way, on my own defined terms, for better or often times worse, I'd bet. I'm sure when he wakes up in the morning he does not dread going to work. I'll have one of his masterpieces, with Campy in the cave, no doubt.