PDA

View Full Version : Time frame differences/experience anyone?

greengage
11-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Hey all carbon fans. I have some questions about the differences in a couple of Time monocoque frames. Yes, I know that the lugged ones are classic, but I do have specific reasons for looking at the monocoque construction.

I was wondering about the differences between the nx series. Nx, NxR, NxRS, NxS (aka Izon). Anyone know the differences in layup? Does the seat stay difference in the NxS make that much difference in performance, or just feel? Does the NxR have a bad rap for nothing? Why are the NxR and NxS both marketed as fondo frames when they're so (seemingly) different?
Basically anything people can tell me about these models, from personal experience or technical information, would be right helpful...

Also: bonus question! Which Time frame would you/do you ride?
Cheers all- thanks for anything you got.

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Hey all carbon fans. I have some questions about the differences in a couple of Time monocoque frames. Yes, I know that the lugged ones are classic, but I do have specific reasons for looking at the monocoque construction.

I was wondering about the differences between the nx series. Nx, NxR, NxRS, NxS (aka Izon). Anyone know the differences in layup? Does the seat stay difference in the NxS make that much difference in performance, or just feel? Does the NxR have a bad rap for nothing? Why are the NxR and NxS both marketed as fondo frames when they're so (seemingly) different?
Basically anything people can tell me about these models, from personal experience or technical information, would be right helpful...

Also: bonus question! Which Time frame would you/do you ride?
Cheers all- thanks for anything you got.

Can't help you with the bike frame but titles sometimes can be interesting, 'Time frame differences'...thought of this.

FlashUNC
11-04-2015, 07:51 AM
The main criticism I've seen of the NxR is that the front and back of the bike don't seem to know what the other is doing and respond accordingly.

It's probably the only model would avoid. I'd love to get a Skylon or Izon.

For me, their VXR is the best carbon bike ever. Yes, better than the 585, better than the C-40 or C-50. Just an astoundingly good bike.

wallymann
11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
For me, their VXR is the best carbon bike ever. Yes, better than the 585, better than the C-40 or C-50. Just an astoundingly good bike.

*loved* my VXRS in benign conditions, but when riding in heavy sideways blowing gusty wind i found it too nervous. it took alot of work to keep smooth in a fast-moving paceline. i attribute that to the really short chainstays.

http://majortaylorcycling.org/bikes/walter_time_vxrs.jpg

FlashUNC
11-04-2015, 08:38 AM
*loved* my VXRS in benign conditions, but when riding in heavy sideways blowing gusty wind i found it too nervous. it took alot of work to keep smooth in a fast-moving paceline. i attribute that to the really short chainstays.

http://majortaylorcycling.org/bikes/walter_time_vxrs.jpg

Interesting. I always thought my VXR was incredibly stable, even on jittery pavement or in cross-winds. It was my go-to for the Saturday Morning Worlds Rides.

kgreene10
11-04-2015, 10:20 AM
I also found the vxrs to be incredibly stable. My sense of the RX instinct was the same as mentioned above about the nxr. It ride okay but lacked the time pizzaz and felt vaguely uncoordinated.

slidey
11-04-2015, 10:29 AM
I was going to say, depends on the season - I love it now, as I'm a morning person.

Then i realised it was not about Daylight Savings :help:

Carry on Gents!

dana_e
11-04-2015, 01:34 PM
I have a Time Edge Racer, lugged carbon, best bike I have ever had.

greengage
11-04-2015, 04:23 PM
The main criticism I've seen of the NxR is that the front and back of the bike don't seem to know what the other is doing and respond accordingly.

I've seen that in one review, but I haven't seen it backed up by any owners of an NxR. Just wondering if it was a bad day for the reviewer or lemon from time.

And, yes, the title is misleading... I deserve all the TARDIS and Marty McFly pics I get. Allons-y!

slinkywizard
11-05-2015, 08:44 AM
I've been riding a '11 Time NXR for about two years and absolutely love it. I ride it in the mountains mainly, it has carried me up most of the 2000m + passes here in Switzerland. Although it climbs really well , it excells at descending, feeling like being on rails at speeds easily exceeding 50 mph. Steering is razor sharp, yet the bike is also one of the most comfortabele bikes I've ever ridden. My daily commuter is a seven axiom which I love to death, mainly due to the fact that I've had it for 13 years and I love titanium, but my NXR is a class of its own...Never had the feeling the front and rear do not communicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odonnebj
01-18-2016, 08:57 PM
I've been riding and racing an RXRS for 4.5 years now, and a ZXRS for almost 2 years. I've beat the living hell out of the RXRS and it keeps on ticking. I've traveled internationally with it, taken it gravel grinding, raced crits, climbed mountains, and even threw aero bars on it for stage races. I love it! At one point is was my "rain bike" for a year when i got the ZXRS. I can't tell much of a different between the two to be honest, but the ZXRS handles wider tires much better than the RXRS. I can get 24s and some 25s to work but the ZXRS has way more clearance for 28s in case you ever want to do some roubaix.

Racycles is having a sale on the RXRS. I've honestly considered getting another to have as backup if/when the other one ever dies.

jimcav
01-18-2016, 09:17 PM
and ulteam. my best ever bike uphill, and only issue i ever noticed was fast downhill it was stiff to the point of skittering in corners. for that reason i gave the Meivici i briefly owned the nod as best overall. the VXRS was a "twitchier" ride due to the STA and trail in comparison to so say a Colnago c40/c50. i no longer push limits and doubt i will ever have another carbon road bike, but if I did Time would be the only productionI'd buy, or a used crumpton here on the forum...

fishbolish
01-18-2016, 10:10 PM
My vxrs is still my go to bike , & before i owned that ,it was a vxr( which i played wheelsucker behind wallymans vxrs..lol)

one60
01-20-2016, 09:23 AM
I have put some 1500 miles on a 2014 ZXRS. This frame is the last production year before before this model was replaced by the Skylon. I have great steel & Ti rides & wasn't really interested in carbon offerings until I had an opportunity to test ride some TIME bikes.

The build quality of the frame is phenomenal and exceeds that, by way of example of my friend's C59, imho. The ISP design is actually a seat mast with a seatpost & clamp that allows for 3+ cm of adjustment. It also allows one to easily remove the saddle for transport, if needed.

The aesthetics of the carbon weave, shaped carbon tubes and lugs creates, to my eye, a thing of beauty. But it is the ride quality that makes it a truly special bike. This bike has that in spades. No matter my fitness level, I always feel a touch faster on the flats and up & down the hills around Seattle. It inspires confidence in the corners, allowing me to take a tighter line. As a result, I find I push myself harder when riding this bike. And always, with a BIG grin.

For many reasons, I typically refrain from offering opinions on the ride quality of a bike. If the opportunity to ride a TIME presents itself, I doubt you will be disappointed.

greengage
02-09-2016, 04:42 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about the nxr2?