PDA

View Full Version : Update - lumbar fusion and cycling

buddybikes
11-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I am now 5 days post l4/l5 fusion and laminectomy. Was out of hospital in 2 days, and recovery is going great. Just walked 3/4 mile. Dr said will be on my bike in the spring if I follow my rehab protocol. So just no winter riding - lots of walking then methodical strength and stretching in about 6 weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appears I will require a L4 lumbar fusion due to spondylolisthesis and protrusion pushing into my spine. I finally gave up riding last week as after I rode it got too painful. Currently can't walk further than my mailbox, my legs formerly toned, are like toothpicks. Amazing how fast things deteriorate. I think that it will be a 1 level laparospic fusion, hope not more than that, still a major surgery. Scary reading on spine sites about not riding at all. Have others had direct or indirect experience? Scared my Firefly will be gathering dust, but also glad i got a cx bike that I can get a higher handlebar without looking too querky. Fortunately work will be done in the medical mecca, Boston, new england baptist.

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post.

thx

pdmtong
11-03-2015, 06:03 PM
I am getting back from a L4/5 and L5/S1 bulge which required four spinal injections to calm. Obviously yours is worse, but somewhere along the months of unbelievable 24x7 pain and walking/standing/sleeping issues I decided that I would gladly trade the rest of my life being pain free for never riding (road, single track, cx, downhill, dirt tandem) again. Fortunately I was able to get back on the bike, and my position, shocking, has not changed.

S I suggested to the member who recently had his knee fixed, get yourself fixed and worry about the bikes and riding later.

If it comes to no cycling, plenty of life to live, and other things to do, besides cycling. If you can't see that, step back from the bike and look around.

Cross fingers all goes well. If you need a fusion, then there really isn't much choice left but to go ahead with the goal of a pain free life.

Walter
11-03-2015, 06:50 PM
4 years ago I had a decomp and fusion of L4, L5 and S1 (spondylolisthesis. L4 over the front of L5, disc space deterioration, etc.). 10hour long surgery. I followed my doc's advice to the letter of recovery and rehab.

I can ride w/o any real issues now. I am a little stiffer in my low spine as it is now one piece and have some rotational issues.

I had upped my overall head tube spec before the surgery due to the pain and have not made it any higher. On one bike I have reduced it a bit.

Get a very good surgeon who does these regularly, make sure they know how active you are and still want to be, and follow the rehab protocol. I have had several friends who did not and now have permanent issues (they came back too hard too soon).

Good luck! I have had a spectacular result and wish you the same.

buddybikes
11-04-2015, 06:28 AM
Thx, spoke to my brother who advised going to good! rehab hospital aftwards (Spaulding?) since they will spend lot more time than going home and having a PT/OT come in for 50 min.

Last year surgeon said it would be about 5 hrs, just to warn me Laparospic doesn't mean "minor" hope it stays in that range dealing with other health issues.

Guess worse case need to buy new ENVE fork on my FF an some sort of a safe extender to head tube.

Cycling for last 45 years, according to dr's, is keeping my diabetes complications somewhat minimal. Want that to continue if possible. But if it is just the gym with focuse program, that needs to be accepted.

Youngsters out there, CORE STRENGTH !!!!! riding doesn't help it.
thx

drewellison
11-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Nowhere near as serious, but I had L5 (?) herniated disk about 6 years ago. Two cortisone injections fixed me up until about a year ago and it started acting up again. Wanted more injections, doctor said no way, go to physical therapy for at least a month first.

This time around I got a very competent (at least for me) PT and she helped me with core and posture. Also, she taught me propure body mechanics (hard!) to minimize re-injuring possibilities. I worked with her for about 4 months. Still doing my PT core exercises daily (I just have to recall the debilitating pain and that motivates me). I've also worked in some stretching routines which my PT approved.

With all this, I've been able to drop my bars and can ride longer with fewer neck/shoulder issues.

So my advise to all is ...
1. core strengthening
2. stretch regularly
3. use good body mechanics for moving, bending, lifting, standing

and do some of this stuff BEFORE you have issues!

ariw
11-06-2015, 07:59 AM
I had a cage fusion at l5-s1 about five years ago, no complications and recovery went well. The best thing that happened was getting a good pt who really brought me along, step by step, in terms of strength and flexibility. I ride a shorter tt now than I did before, but not by much. A recent guru fit actually moved my stem lower. Pm me if you have any questions, I live almost completely pain free in my back and ride road and mtb regularly.

Ari