PDA

View Full Version : Paris bike rental

ronlau
11-03-2015, 11:47 AM
To all,

Need your help, I am going to Paris next week and would like to know is there any good bike rental?

Not interested in renting the big heavy bike like CitiBike in New York City.

Thank you for all your help.

Ron

11-03-2015, 12:31 PM
I might ask why. Cycling is difficult in Paris. You can walk or take the metro easily, and the traffic and roads are nuts. I used to ride a motorcycle in Paris and got an armored jacket not only because of the crash risk, but because a lot of street signs overhang the street and if you're riding close to the curb, they hit you on the helmet or shoulder. Really, not sure it's worth it. If you are going to get out of town, rent out of town, but that's probably 25 miles before there are roads worth riding on.

In town I never saw any high end rental shops. If you looked like a customer there were a couple shops with mid-level bikes who might let you take a test drive, but this isn't like riding in northeastern Spain. The shops tend to be focused on vintage bikes or city cruisers, and especially on e-bikes. What we talk about here in this forum, you won't find too much of. If you are way out in the far arrondissements, there might be something I didn't know of, but I had to drive 25-30 miles to find either shops or usable roads.

thwart
11-03-2015, 12:35 PM
I might ask why. Cycling is difficult in Paris. You can walk or take the metro easily, and the traffic and roads are nuts. I used to ride a motorcycle in Paris and got an armored jacket not only because of the crash risk, but because a lot of street signs overhang the street and if you're riding close to the curb, they hit you on the helmet or shoulder. Really, not sure it's worth it. If you are going to get out of town, rent out of town, but that's probably 25 miles before there are roads worth riding on.

In town I never saw any high end rental shops. If you looked like a customer there were a couple shops with mid-level bikes who might let you take a test drive, but this isn't like riding in northeastern Spain. The shops tend to be focused on vintage bikes or city cruisers, and especially on e-bikes. What we talk about here in this forum, you won't find too much of. If you are way out in the far arrondissements, there might be something I didn't know of, but I had to drive 25-30 miles to find either shops or usable roads.
My experience in several European cities as well, at least on the continent.

The only serious road bike riders (and helmet wearers) were out in the suburbs or beyond.

Joel
11-03-2015, 01:13 PM
+2 central is tough for serious riding unless you know where you're going and what roads to use/avoid...

I know you said you don't want to do a citybike, but if it's a holiday you're on then go the Velib route and just tool around.

The multiiday pass is a joy! Enjoy!

http://en.velib.paris.fr/

ronlau
11-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Good points. Perhaps just walk and enjoy the city this time.

happycampyer
11-03-2015, 11:10 PM
I would highly recommend taking a bike tour. My family did the Fat Tire Bike tour, and it was a lot of fun. I would find a company that starts close to your hotel. If you have the time, do either a day or a night tour, and a tour of Versailles as well. It's a bit kitschy, but it's a great way to see the city, and you get to ride in the protection of a group.