PDA

View Full Version : Rapha & Sky to end sponsorship after 2016 season

MattTuck
11-03-2015, 05:09 AM
Just got an email announcing this. I wonder what the reasoning is.

Will be curious to see if they sponsor another team. As far as Sky, it seemed to make good sense. British team with British clothing.

Davist
11-03-2015, 05:12 AM
I'm guessing they got the exposure they needed (does Rapha need any more exposure?), probably quite expensive. Nowadays, a 4 year stint for a grand tour team seems pretty good. (I'm sure some conspiracy theorists will chime in about more nefarious things)

corky
11-03-2015, 05:34 AM
Gotta be financial differences.....

chiasticon
11-03-2015, 06:28 AM
fwiw, they discount the sky gear frequently. at least three times a year you can find it 20% off or more. now, of course they're still making a ton of cash on that. but I'm guessing that things not selling as well as they'd like has to be some factor. and yeah, I'm sure it's not cheap to keep the team going plus pay whatever they're asking.

still, definitely a fruitful sponsorship deal for them. two TdF wins and 2nd at vuelta for froome, hour record for wiggins, plus tons of other stuff...

El Chaba
11-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Wasn't the kit supplied to the Team actually made by Nalini/Moa Sport anyway?....

oldpotatoe
11-03-2015, 06:51 AM
Wasn't the kit supplied to the Team actually made by Nalini/Moa Sport anyway?....

A lot of Euro team and otherwise branded stuff made by Moa..great company, kinda the Italian bike clothes version of Giant Bike Company or Vittoria Tire in Thailand. Don't mow if Sky stuff made by them or not.

yashcha
11-03-2015, 07:04 AM
When I lived in Guangzhou one of the swiss guys I used to ride with owned a clothing company called cuore. He claimed that they made the SKY clothing for Rapha. He also mentioned making clothing for a team called IAM cycling.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2015, 07:11 AM
When I lived in Guangzhou one of the swiss guys I used to ride with owned a clothing company called cuore. He claimed that they made the SKY clothing for Rapha. He also mentioned making clothing for a team called IAM cycling.

IAM cycling the real deal.

johngmartin
11-03-2015, 07:21 AM
It's probably because I responded that I didn't care about their partnership on the last Rapha survey for a 20% off code.

charliedid
11-03-2015, 07:42 AM
My guess is too much money to continue and they received the exposure they were looking for.

Rapha's success will continue to be as a lifestyle company supporting riding and racing on a local level.

.02 cents

thirdgenbird
11-03-2015, 07:46 AM
A lot of Euro team and otherwise branded stuff made by Moa..great company, kinda the Italian bike clothes version of Giant Bike Company or Vittoria Tire in Thailand. Don't mow if Sky stuff made by them or not.

Is that where my Campagnolo stuff came from?

El Chaba
11-03-2015, 07:52 AM

I thought Nalini/Moa made their team wear as well...As pointed out by OP, Moa does a LOT of contract manufacturing for quite a few "labels"....

pdmtong
11-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Rapha got what they needed out of the Sky deal, which of course was global exposure but more relevant to me was the acceleration of their pro team designs. I'm no pro, but their pro team kit works and fits great, much nicer than the merino based function/fashion pieces. Now after four years, time to move the investment money from sky to other projects.

Waldo
11-03-2015, 12:16 PM
It's probably because I responded that I didn't care about their partnership on the last Rapha survey for a 20% off code.

Damn straight. If it weren't Rapha we wouldn't be discussing the non-renewal of a team clothing contract. Another slow news day in cycling world -- didn't someone admit to or was caught doping recently?

beeatnik
11-03-2015, 12:28 PM
These pics may tell part of the story:

http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/photos/imagegallery/8724#1#cW6exfIUBPDocM3g.97

https://www.slocyclist.com/many-kits-pro-cycling-teams-use-just-ask-rapha-team-sky-hint-lot/

So how many kits does it take to sponsor a pro cycling team? Well, we find out here that each rider gets 800 pieces of clothing. Each. Rider. Gets. 800. Pieces.

But don’t be shocked because that has to last them until at least June when they get the whole thing over again.

Now I’m not too great at math (English major over here, yup), but I asked Siri. She said that with all 40 of Team Sky’s riders getting fitted out, that adds up to 32,000 kits. Good work, Siri. Double that number for the entire year, and it’s 64,000 pieces (hey, I did that one in my head!).

MattTuck
11-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Is it foolish to hope that Rapha signs with another team and brings some of their design sense to that kit? I'm looking at you, AG2R.

ceolwulf
11-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Are they going to continue with the Wiggins team?

Spdntrxi
11-03-2015, 01:36 PM
I hope for BMC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiasticon
11-03-2015, 01:46 PM
These pics may tell part of the story
that's madness. but I doubt that's reason for them to stop the partnership. I'm sure they knew exactly how much clothing they'd need to provide when they entered into that partnership. plus, I'm guessing sky didn't just pull this amount out of the...sky...(lol) but had it based on what their experience of normal usage is. and that's probably somewhat standard across pro tour teams.

but geez. 800 pieces? I'd have to add another room onto my house to store and organize it.

MattTuck
11-03-2015, 01:52 PM
that's madness. but I doubt that's reason for them to stop the partnership. I'm sure they knew exactly how much clothing they'd need to provide when they entered into that partnership. plus, I'm guessing sky didn't just pull this amount out of the...sky...(lol) but had it based on what their experience of normal usage is. and that's probably somewhat standard across pro tour teams.

but geez. 800 pieces? I'd have to add another room onto my house to store and organize it.

Is there a break down of the pieces?

800 seems high on the face of it, but when you start to think that they probably have 100+ in just socks and gloves.

Judging by the image below, it looks like about 10 jerseys. Which seems about right, as a professional, you're wearing them every day.

http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/bestfit/images/master/1/2014/12/17/-1/8712/944/708/1418840460631.jpg

bcroslin
11-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Is there a break down of the pieces?

800 seems high on the face of it, but when you start to think that they probably have 100+ in just socks and gloves.

Judging by the image below, it looks like about 10 jerseys. Which seems about right, as a professional, you're wearing them every day.

http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/bestfit/images/master/1/2014/12/17/-1/8712/944/708/1418840460631.jpg

Someone should tell the Sky dudes about the secondary Paceline market. They'd make a killing!

Joxster
11-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Moa do make the Rapha kit and about 15 other pro team kits. For a small logo on the jersey it costs 」750,000 a season, a friend of mine makes a product that Sky uses and they wanted but he couldn't afford or justify that outlay.

mvrider
11-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Anybody know why Samsonite cases sold in Europe and Asia look so much nicer than the ones available in the U.S.?

http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/bestfit/images/master/1/2014/12/17/-1/8723/944/708/1418840497560.jpg

Cicli
11-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Someone should tell the Sky dudes about the secondary Paceline market. They'd make a killing!

Yep and you dont even have to wash it. Sell it as lightly used. :butt:

jmoore
11-03-2015, 04:37 PM
I hope for BMC

BMC kits are desperate for an aesthetic upgrade.

jonnyBgood
11-03-2015, 04:48 PM
I like a lot of Rapha's products but never have been a fan of Team Sky

Look forward to seeing some new designs

pdmtong
11-03-2015, 04:52 PM

I dont think so

80% of folks here weigh more than 145#s and the other 20% are new grads who can't afford it.

krhea
11-03-2015, 04:57 PM
I dont think so

80% of folks here weigh more than 145#s and the other 20% are new grads who can't afford it.

Truth.

jonnyBgood
11-03-2015, 05:08 PM
I dont think so

Yeah. I'm 5'11"/6' 190 pounds solid and all of the Pro Team stuff I wear an XXL and the Classic stuff I wear a XL and I'm not overweight at all :rolleyes:

beeatnik
11-03-2015, 05:57 PM
^pdm meant that sky team members wouldn't be able to sell their last season threads on here since the biggest guy on their payroll is probably 170.

Wakatel_Luum
11-03-2015, 06:40 PM
I love Rapha clothing but I wouldn't touch the Sky gear with a 40 ft pole...the last time I wore team gear was when 7-Eleven & Motorola was around...

pdmtong
11-03-2015, 07:10 PM
I love Rapha clothing but I wouldn't touch the Sky gear with a 40 ft pole...the last time I wore team gear was when 7-Eleven & Motorola was around...

Wearing team kit is very popular in Europe and Asia not so much here which in some ways is why the understated basic Rapha aesthetic gained popularity

I have to admit almost going for sky pro team kit at 50% off but like you decided the look was not for me

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 05:52 AM
I hope for BMC

Think BMC is Pearl Izumi for 2016

Wakatel_Luum
11-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Pearl Izumi owned by Shimano so not surprised...

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Pearl Izumi owned by Shimano so not surprised...

Well, I know the main jersey design guy at PI and I don't think this has anything to do with it but...

Joxster
11-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Wearing team kit is very popular in Europe and Asia not so much here which in some ways is why the understated basic Rapha aesthetic gained popularity

I have to admit almost going for sky pro team kit at 50% off but like you decided the look was not for me

I'm of the opinion that you need to earn it to wear it

FlashUNC
11-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Vintage team gear is cool. Current team gear, not so much. Best of both worlds. Buy the stuff new and stash it in a closet for 10 years or so.

jmoore
11-04-2015, 10:20 AM
I'm of the opinion that you need to earn it to wear it

If the teams didn't want you to wear it, then they would not sell it. I'm sure they would love to sell 1000's of kits to every rider who wants them.

I Want Sachs?
11-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Once Rapha sell enough Sky kits to whoever wants it, there is no further need to continue the support since the Rapha fans would not buy the same graphics over and over again. I mean, how often do you wear out your kit?

It is more profitable to associate with another team and sell another Rapha clothing with new graphics.

Maybe return to Sky after another 10 years might make sense, if Sky or Rapha is still around.

Idris Icabod
11-04-2015, 12:43 PM
If the teams didn't want you to wear it, then they would not sell it. I'm sure they would love to sell 1000's of kits to every rider who wants them.

I agree with jmoore on this. I was at the Tour of Britain a few years ago and there was a guy in full Garmin kit on an ex-Garmin team bike. Matt White (team DS at the time) was unbelievably appreciative of this guys support, spent a good long time discussing the origin of the bike.

jlwdm
11-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Once Rapha sell enough Sky kits to whoever wants it, there is no further need to continue the support since the Rapha fans would not buy the same graphics over and over again. I mean, how often do you wear out your kit?

It is more profitable to associate with another team and sell another Rapha clothing with new graphics.

Maybe return to Sky after another 10 years might make sense, if Sky or Rapha is still around.

I don't think it makes sense to sponsor another tour level team. The clothing sponsorships I have seen in the past require a lot of clothing for all team staff and a lot of dollars paid to the team. Rapha has gotten the marketing it wanted.

Jeff

torquer
11-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Is it foolish to hope that Rapha signs with another team and brings some of their design sense to that kit? I'm looking at you, AG2R.
I responded to a Rapha on-line survey earlier this year, and one of the questions was which other pro teams I'd like to see them sponsor.
My answer was Giant-Alpecin, but I just wanted to see Degenkolb and Kittel rocking something more inspired than what they had been wearing.
But you're correct, Matt, AG2R needs the most help.

milkbaby
11-05-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm sad to see them split because the Team Sky stuff was always on sale for a big discount during Rapha's summer and winter sales... I'm waiting for the winter sale to pick up the Sky brevet jersey.