PDA

View Full Version : My Asian Ti seatpost buying experience...

SoCalSteve
11-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi all,

So, I love everything about my Moots seatpost except the price. Thought I'd give another ( less expensive ) company a try. I had a bunch of " eBay bucks " which is kind of like free $$$. Figured what have I got to lose.

Well, I purchased this directly from Tawian : http://www.ebay.com/itm/121199374660?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=420190496552&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Figured it would show up in a few weeks. Showed up in about a week. Looked nice, clamping system worked well. Was a bit too long so I cut it down, rounded off the end, made it real pretty.

Went to install it in my Ottrott...it doesn't fit. It's too wide. Not by much, just enough to make it super annoying. Tried it in the Kirk, same thing. I know me, I could make it work, but it just " that much " too wide.

Trashed it. Think I'll buy an Eriksen. Buyers beware.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it...:crap:

Veloo
11-02-2015, 10:35 PM
It's not just the no name stuff. My FSA Metropolis seatpost was a bit oversized. Wasn't fitting in my bamboo frame and I assumed it was the metal insert in the frame that was off. My mechanic reamed it out a bit and got it to fit. Realized later it was indeed the seatpost as the frame builder told me they use a Thomson post as a gauge in the shop. Luckily my mechanic didn't remove too much metal so I was still able to fit other 27.2 posts in there.

foo_fighter
11-02-2015, 11:30 PM
What does it measure?

Hi all,

So, I love everything about my Moots seatpost except the price. Thought I'd give another ( less expensive ) company a try. I had a bunch of " eBay bucks " which is kind of like free $$$. Figured what have I got to lose.

Well, I purchased this directly from Tawian : http://www.ebay.com/itm/121199374660?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=420190496552&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Figured it would show up in a few weeks. Showed up in about a week. Looked nice, clamping system worked well. Was a bit too long so I cut it down, rounded off the end, made it real pretty.

Went to install it in my Ottrott...it doesn't fit. It's too wide. Not by much, just enough to make it super annoying. Tried it in the Kirk, same thing. I know me, I could make it work, but it just " that much " too wide.

SoCalSteve
11-02-2015, 11:33 PM
What does it measure?

Larger than 27.2 by a little bit. I don't own a measuring device for this.

jtakeda
11-02-2015, 11:49 PM
Larger than 27.2 by a little bit. I don't own a measuring device for this.

How can you be so certain without calipers?

Some posts measure a tiny bit big. I have a campy record carbon post that doesn't fit in my Merlin but other posts fit fine.

R3awak3n
11-02-2015, 11:50 PM
You should have sent it to me :)

beeatnik
11-02-2015, 11:56 PM
I had a similar issue when I bought a knockoff iPhone made in New Jersey. :fight:

oldpotatoe
11-03-2015, 05:34 AM
Hi all,

So you have a Moots post? Why buy another or an eriksen?

And I hope you 'mentioned' the goofy size via feedback to the SP maker.

hokoman
11-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Did you try it before you cut it? Sometimes when cutting, the ends get a little wider if that makes sense....

mgreene888
11-03-2015, 07:43 AM
I got one like this and the post diameter was too small - needed one of those dual screw clamps to keep it in place:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-KCNC-Ti-Pro-Lite-seatpost-27-2X400mm-157g-Silver-/301048281888?hash=item4617e03b20:m:mtvZHfJRlkjufpb izR9WF2w

Then I got one that is a knock off of the Eriksen sweatpost - http://kenteriksen.com/seatposts/ - it fit perfectly, but the screw stripped the opposite side of the clamp. Both pieces made of Al. Probably a recognized defect as I dont see that type being offered on ebay today.

I drilled it out and retapped the clamp so that a replacement screw went all the way through the opposite side and used a nylock nut to provide clamping pressure - no problems since and it is pretty much hidden by the seat.

Mike

tumbler
11-03-2015, 07:46 AM
If the size is close enough, maybe you could offer it up for cheap or with free returns to one of the forumites complaining of post slipping. It might just squeeze into one of their frames.

SoCalSteve
11-03-2015, 08:41 AM
How can you be so certain without calipers?

Some posts measure a tiny bit big. I have a campy record carbon post that doesn't fit in my Merlin but other posts fit fine.

I can be certain because it doesn't fit in either my Ottrott nor my Kirk. Yes, it's a tiny bit big. Big enough not to fit.

SoCalSteve
11-03-2015, 08:42 AM
So you have a Moots post? Why buy another or an eriksen?

And I hope you 'mentioned' the goofy size via feedback to the SP maker.

Moots post is for my RSL, it's not 27.2. If it were, I'd just swap back and forth.

SoCalSteve
11-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Did you try it before you cut it? Sometimes when cutting, the ends get a little wider if that makes sense....

No, I didn't...:crap:

But, I filed it down and rounded and smoothed out the edges. There should be no reason why it wouldn't fit.

sandyrs
11-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Got a Carver 30.6 Ti post a while ago that turned out to be 30.75. The Carver folks were extremely apologetic and stopped selling the posts in that size. Frustrating to have come so close to my idea of a unicorn post, but I was glad to be able to return it.

tuscanyswe
11-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Bad luck but this problem even happen on the most recognized brands. I have had thomson posts and various others out of spec. I have had an enve fork with a steerer to large etc. Too small sample size to say anything but it still sucks i get that :D

buldogge
11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Steve...Do you still have the post, or did you really "toss it"?

-Mark in St. Louis

doomridesout
11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
I had a similar experience with a set of Carver ti mountain bike bars-- I went to cut them down and they cracked up the length of the bar-- the extrusion was noticeably thinner along the cracked portion than the rest of the bar. Carver was great about returning them, but yikes!

eBAUMANN
11-03-2015, 11:26 AM
I have had an enve fork with a steerer to large etc.

That was probably due to installing the expander BEFORE the headset top cap or stem, yea? I have had similar issues in the past and they disappear once the expander is removed. The outward pressure it puts on the walls of the steerer can be just enough to make things difficult.

But anyways, looking at the clamp on that post, and applying my own experiences with ENVE's original clamp design...I would be SHOCKED if that thing didnt slip. Unless you weigh like 100lbs, then you might be ok ;)

rugbysecondrow
11-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Did you throw it away?

If not, I will buy it from you as a cheap cheater bar to keep around the garage.

Cheers,

Paul

eippo1
11-03-2015, 12:02 PM
But anyways, looking at the clamp on that post, and applying my own experiences with ENVE's original clamp design...I would be SHOCKED if that thing didnt slip. Unless you weigh like 100lbs, then you might be ok ;)

Nothing like finishing a ride out with your upper body at a 30 degree backwards angle, eh? Had that happen off of user error with a post once and once that post was scored that way, it was no good ever again.

93legendti
11-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Bad luck but this problem even happen on the most recognized brands. I have had thomson posts and various others out of spec. I have had an enve fork with a steerer to large etc. Too small sample size to say anything but it still sucks i get that :D

Yup. Chorus ti posts are really, really hard to get in Serotta frames.

tuscanyswe
11-03-2015, 12:18 PM
That was probably due to installing the expander BEFORE the headset top cap or stem, yea? I have had similar issues in the past and they disappear once the expander is removed. The outward pressure it puts on the walls of the steerer can be just enough to make things difficult.

Nope. Thats more easily seen when one try to remove the fork and the spacers get stuck and you wonder ···? :)

This was just a fork that was out of spec. Got a new one from enve tho.

Wouldn't go on smooth but i pushed it on eager to get back on the bike, eventually it was all stuck and i with the help of 2 mechanics could not get the damn thing out of the frame or even move just a tad. Had to bring out the saw and screw up the finish of my moots spacer and stem, nothing major tho.

After i got it out with the saw i measured with digital calipers and it was larger than all other 11/8 steerer in the store that i could find. Cant remember by how much but enough to not function properly.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5584/14890440119_1c451a56a1_b.jpg

downtube
11-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Did you put the post in a vice when you cut it? Just wondering if it was slightly compressed which turned it into an oval.

SoCalSteve
11-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Did you put the post in a vice when you cut it? Just wondering if it was slightly compressed which turned it into an oval.

Park Tools cutting guide.

SoCalSteve
11-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Did you throw it away?

If not, I will buy it from you as a cheap cheater bar to keep around the garage.

Cheers,

Paul

I'd give it to you, but I just don't have the time, energy or a box right now to ship, sorry.