PDA

View Full Version : The Gentlemen and AAA

cd_davis
11-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Beautiful day in metro Boston, fall colors and 61F this afternoon. Got to take a break from my consulting gig and fit in a 75-90 minute ride before sunset at 4:35pm. Yes sunset at 4:35pm and dark by 5:20pm. Sucks for sure, it's going to be a long fall/winter. How to keep the red wine winter weight off....
Out on my ride and notice a gentlemen wearing a bike helmet by a split rail fence on the country road side. Take a glance and realize he's dressed like Jake from State Farm, yes the TV commercial guy. Red shirt, khakis, etc. But he's older than I am so l turn around and asks if he needs some help.
He's riding a 10-12 year old Giant semi- recumbent with ~20 inch wheels. Never seen a bike like this before, but it seems like the front end - wheel, bar, head tube has separated from the rest of the bike. A catastrophic failure for sure, thank God he was't hurt when it failed from metal fatigue.
We are not close to anything, so I ask him if he wants me to get my car and give him a ride home. NO, he emphatically says in a kind way. I've called AAA, they are on the way and will take me home. I'm fine, enjoy the rest of your ride and this beautiful day.....
This is what cycling is all about and I learned that State Farm and AAA collaborate...
Celebrate!