PDA

View Full Version : Vecchio's, Friday evening, 6/11, shaping up

velotel
11-02-2015, 03:21 PM
I'm looking forward to this; two people I admire enormously will/might be there. Andy Hampsten (and his wife who I don't know) is coming with Katy, Kent Eriksen's wife. Kent will be there unless he can't get away due to a complication with some delivery. Kent I've known for years, since the early 80's, a great guy and a superb rider, road or mountain. A class act all the way. Andy I don't know though we both know of the other and have for a long time. Everything, without exception, that I've read of him and heard from mutual friends states unequivocally that he too is a total class act, someone to admire. His/their presence at Vecchio's will be an unexpected treat.

Which makes me nervous about the slide show. I want it to be up to their standards but I've never done a slide show. Have to wing it, hope for the best. It's all ready to go. A huge amount of work, more than I imagined. So many photos, so many roads, what do I choose, what do I discard. The discarding was the hardest part. Like throwing old friends out the door, telling them they aren't invited to the party. Bummer. I like what I've got; hopefully others will too. Emphasis on some pretty different roads from the ones people usually hear about, at least when the subject of riding in France comes up.

The rides I finally settled on are at the head of my best of the best rides, the have-to list. I might have even been thinking of them as rides on my bucket list even though I never would have used the term, at least consciously. But given that in the last year or two I've been pushing myself hard to bag a bunch of rides I hadn't done - and had wanted to do for a long time - while I still could - as in while I still had enough form to ride them correctly - I suppose that pretty much says that they were exactly that, bucket list rides, rides I wanted to do before I kicked the damn bucket.

Well, the bucket's still standing and not one of these rides is inside. Now they're on my re-do list and the have-to-show-to-my-son-and-friends list. And in the slide show. Maybe they'll be like a highly contagious virus; everyone who watches the show will leave with the rides all jammed into their buckets and clamoring for attention.

So if you're in the Boulder area Friday evening, get over to Vecchio's, watch the show. And buy my book while you're there. Jim will like that. So will I.

And just to whet your appetite, a few shots from Sunday, as glorious a day as I've ever seen in France.

Cheers

OtayBW
11-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Hank - you have outdone yourself. :beer:
My advice: let the slides speak for themselves. Just voice the captions.....

yakstone
11-02-2015, 05:22 PM
I am guessing you mean 11/6, Friday.

Hank - you have outdone yourself. :beer:
My advice: let the slides speak for themselves. Just voice the captions.....

pdmtong
11-02-2015, 05:32 PM
wish i could join you!

Fiertetimestwo
11-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Hey Hank,

Andy and Elaine are just delightful company and, as you know, have already had a quick look at your book when I was in Italy last month.

When you see them, say hello to them from me (Grant) and Bridget (my partner) and let them know that we had an absolutely fantastic time with them. I still think about the riding, the food and the wine -especially the tasting we had from Andy's personal cellar- everyday.

Ben (my friend from Melbourne who also bought your book) and I are enjoying your book very much.

Have a great time in Boulder.

Plum Hill
11-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I am guessing you mean 11/6, Friday.

Those Europeans put the day before the month.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Don't worry, it'll be great. The peanut gallery will be blasted on cheap beer anyway. Be nice to see Andy again.

pbarry
11-02-2015, 06:33 PM
What time?

J. Anquetil
11-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Lucky bunch. Green with envy. Break a leg...!!! You'll do awesome.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2015, 06:53 PM
What time?

5:30ish, slide show 6ish, fridge open 4ish.

Louis
11-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Hank, I'm no Toastmasters expert, but my recommendation would be bring the pictures to life by communicating verbally something memorable that isn't obvious in the pictures.

For example: "This little town is known for fromage St Blablabla that takes 12 years to age and is only sold in October." Or "I was beat so I stopped to chat with the farmer who owns this house and he mentioned that his family has lived there since 1765."

Tickdoc
11-02-2015, 07:15 PM
So wish I could go. 14 hr drive and I have kid duty all weekend :~(

enr1co
11-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Wish it was 6/11 to give me time to plan a trip there :)

You'll do great Velotel- just speak from your heart of what the slides evoked when you shot them and you will take your audience with you.

thwart
11-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Wish I could be there.

Sounds like a feast for the senses... several of them... :beer:

velotel
11-03-2015, 12:39 AM
Thanks everyone, should be fun, no, it'll definitely be fun. Last time I was stateside was April 013. Did lots of riding. Probably will again.

Cheers

choke
11-03-2015, 02:18 AM
I really wish I could make it....but sadly there is no way it's possible.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2015, 05:31 AM
Thanks everyone, should be fun, no, it'll definitely be fun. Last time I was stateside was April 013. Did lots of riding. Probably will again.

Cheers

Bring warm clothes, supposed to snow(lightly?) Thursday PM..

oldpotatoe
11-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Bump to the top..Hank, just found out I 'may' have to nanny that day..plus with 'some' snow..I'll try hard to make it, just not sure.

Have an 'interesting' bottle of wine for ya.