PDA

View Full Version : ah. peugeot.

thwart
11-02-2015, 10:18 AM
So a friend is downsizing, selling his house. Offered me his vintage fiberglass river kayak, as well as the aluminum Yakima rack he carries it with, paddle, skirt, etc. Freebies.

And the favor he asked me to do in return? Wants me to clean/refurbish his Peugeot, 1969 vintage (think it's a PX 10), in anticipation of sale. He's the original owner.

I told him I'm still waiting to return the favor... :beer:

Pretty bike, 58 cm. A little over 21 pounds. Even has an old school Huret odo.

Edit: he was a little optimistic on the weight... just weighed it myself... 22.9 lbs. Still respectable for 1969.

andrew+
11-02-2015, 10:23 AM
That will clean up nicely!

And yes, definitely a PX-10.

rwsaunders
11-02-2015, 12:33 PM
That looks it would make a nice L'Eroica bike for somebody.

mattsbeers
11-02-2015, 12:44 PM
That Huret derailleur is awesome! They shift way better than Campy :no: and are very underrated.

alexstar
11-02-2015, 12:46 PM
VERY cool bike. Is it a 58 square? Asking for a friend... ;)

Joel
11-02-2015, 03:28 PM
That's the real thing! The Huret is not original - the plastic self-exploding Simplex came on the bike - but, well, they had issues!

Once you get it cleaned up do take it out for a spin. I still pine for my PX 10 that got stolen...

gforce
11-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Alas, my Peugeot was also stolen. First nice road bike I had.
It did get me into the sport of cycling.

pinkshogun
11-02-2015, 05:36 PM
the perfect amount of chrome

Louis
11-02-2015, 05:56 PM
I hope everything works, because if it doesn't, good luck getting parts.

thwart
11-02-2015, 06:41 PM
He's had it long enough, and used it enough, that all of the major components have been replaced with SunTour Superbe, other than the Huret RD and a cool 50/36 Sakae Apex crank.

buldogge
11-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Tom...Are the head lugs chrome or black? (can't tell in the pic)

Generally speaking...chrome=PX10, black=PR10.

-Mark in St. Louis

texbike
11-02-2015, 06:44 PM
For some reason, I REALLY like these bikes! I should sell the one that I have, but you guys keep posting nice examples that make it difficult to get rid of it!

Texbike

texbike
11-02-2015, 06:50 PM

-Mark in St. Louis

Hmmm. Mark, are you sure about that? My PX-10 definitely has black lugs and most of the PX-10s that I've seen have had black lugs as well.

Texbike

zmudshark
11-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Nothing like working on a French bike for a buddy.

I did a good friends dad's early 70's PY-10 w/ Campy NR out in AZ.

You'll have to check it out on your much needed Winter/Spring recovery tour in a few months.

#YOLO

buldogge
11-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Maybe I've "forgotten"...I had a PR-10 years ago, thought that was the major (visual) difference...better just ignore me...didn't mean to lead anyone down the wrong path!

-Mark

Hmmm. Mark, are you sure about that? My PX-10 definitely has black lugs and most of the PX-10s that I've seen have had black lugs as well.

Texbike

Anarchist
11-02-2015, 07:07 PM
I still have some of those rims in the garage.

buldogge
11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Guessing the chrome on the seatstays is probably a better indicator!

-Mark

David Kirk
11-02-2015, 07:11 PM
I sold and serviced those things in huge numbers back in the day.....hundreds of them.

Fun to see it......I can just see in my mind's eye the grease that's like chunky peanut butter in the BB.

Have fun with it.

dave

thwart
11-02-2015, 07:13 PM

-Mark in St. Louis

Head lugs are black. 6 digit serial number stamped into the BB... as well as 'Nervex' with a few more tiny digits. Wonderful patina, and having spent a good part of my day today cleaning it up and lubing it... yep, this is a cool bike... I can see why Texbike is a fan.

Unfortunately I've also discovered that (in spite of it being a '58') the standover, reach and even the saddle height would work for yours truly.

Yikes.

texbike
11-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Maybe I've "forgotten"...I had a PR-10 years ago, thought that was the major (visual) difference...better just ignore me...didn't mean to lead anyone down the wrong path!

-Mark

Guessing the chrome on the seatstays is probably a better indicator!

-Mark

So many bikes. So many details. So little time. ;)

I can just see in my mind's eye the grease that's like chunky peanut butter in the BB.

dave

That's funny (and probably WAY accurate...)!

Unfortunately I've also discovered that (in spite of it being a '58') the standover, reach and even the saddle height would work for yours truly.

Yikes.

Keep it! Let's do this together. :)

The bikes are so crudely finished but they have a lovely, spindly grace to them that's hard to explain. Mine has the original Stronglight crankset, Mavic Racers, and Simplex "plasti-splode" derailleurs on it still. I tracked down a nice set of derailleur pulleys, picked up new tires, cables, and brake pads for it and just need to find the time to give it a bit of love and get it back on the road.

Texbike

austex
11-02-2015, 08:35 PM
The bikes are so crudely finished but they have a lovely, spindly grace to them that's hard to explain. Mine has the original Stronglight crankset, Mavic Racers, and Simplex "plasti-splode" derailleurs on it still. I tracked down a nice set of derailleur pulleys, picked up new tires, cables, and brake pads for it and just need to find the time to give it a bit of love and get it back on the road.

Texbike

...MAFAC Racers...

There, fixed it for you;) Tires tubies, as OE? KoolStop repli-pads are da bomb!

And my Simplex Criterium still works just fine! Though the SLJ6600 I use now works better :beer:

Tom
'69 PX-10, second owner since '71.

stephenmarklay
11-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Love it. The look of an old racer just does it for me.

texbike
11-03-2015, 07:12 AM
...MAFAC Racers...

There, fixed it for you;) Tires tubies, as OE? KoolStop repli-pads are da bomb!

And my Simplex Criterium still works just fine! Though the SLJ6600 I use now works better :beer:

Tom
'69 PX-10, second owner since '71.

Doh! Yes, MAFAC not Mavic. Thanks for catching that. :)

The bike has tubies on it and I have new KoolStops waiting to be installed. You should come by and check it out...

Texbike

oldpotatoe
11-03-2015, 07:21 AM
He's had it long enough, and used it enough, that all of the major components have been replaced with SunTour Superbe, other than the Huret RD and a cool 50/36 Sakae Apex crank.

Gonna OVH BB? French threading(?), lefty loosey RH side.

thwart
11-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Gonna OVH BB? French threading(?), lefty loosey RH side.
Thanks, OP.

Surprisingly enough, the bottom bracket looks great (well, after some cleaning), spins great, no play. After a little cone adjustment (some of those skills do come back, it's been awhile) of the wheels, same thing. WD-40 to the sticky freewheel worked amazingly well. Followed it with little 40 weight oil, all is good.

axel23
11-03-2015, 08:32 AM
PX-10 was my first serious race bike. Had it equipped with all Campy (yes, French threaded bb - not easy to find). Ran it with a 52/45 front and 13-21 rear. Ah to have that kind of strength now...

Reynolds 531, stiff and with unusually steep angles, so not particularly comfortable. Was told it may have been a PY-10 (would that account for the much steeper head tube?). Bought at Collins Cyclery in Eugene.

For those interested:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/bicycles/Peugeot/PX10_history.htm

Funny, but I never regretted selling it. Just too harsh a ride. But my Tommasini, that's a different story :hello:

oldpotatoe
11-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks, OP.

Surprisingly enough, the bottom bracket looks great (well, after some cleaning), spins great, no play. After a little cone adjustment (some of those skills do come back, it's been awhile) of the wheels, same thing. WD-40 to the sticky freewheel worked amazingly well. Followed it with little 40 weight oil, all is good.

Huzza! It'll make for a great rig!

thwart
11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Reynolds 531, stiff and with unusually steep angles, so not particularly comfortable.
Just too harsh a ride.

So a question for the PX 10 owners out there... has this been your experience? Seems contrary to the 'usual' experience with 531. Whippy, yes. Harsh, no.

Still recovering from my summer bike crash; had neck fusion surgery 4 wks ago---so absolutely no bike riding for 3 months, until January (and here, you might just as well figure mid-March).

So... I can't ride this thing to see if I should consider keeping it.

bobswire
11-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Speaking of vintage frames,how are you getting along Tom? Well and secure enough for you to take that bike on the road(once it's road ready) for a good ride?

paredown
11-03-2015, 09:27 AM
So a question for the PX 10 owners out there... has this been your experience? Seems contrary to the 'usual' experience with 531. Whippy, yes. Harsh, no.

Still recovering from my summer bike crash; had neck fusion surgery 4 wks ago---so absolutely no bike riding for 3 months, until January (and here, you might just as well figure mid-March).

So... I can't ride this thing to see if I should consider keeping it.

My brother's from BITD was a very nice ride--classic 531 feel, looser angles than my Falcon... Probably "whippy" by today's standards, but we didn't know any better.

andrew+
11-03-2015, 09:33 AM
Some PX-10's had very steep angles, but IIRC that was a period in the '70s. This bike is earlier than that.

benb
11-03-2015, 09:41 AM
The Aluminum GT Grade (w/Carbon Fork & 105) I test rode last week weighed 22lbs... I'd say 22.9lbs for a 1969 steel bike is pretty impressive.

thwart
11-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Speaking of vintage frames,how are you getting along Tom? Well and secure enough for you to take that bike on the road(once it's road ready) for a good ride?

Thanks for asking, Bob. Looks like we had simultaneous posts...

I will be riding again, and actually already doing so on the trainer (although advised to do no more than 6-7/10 effort). I'm out of the body brace (now there's a torture device) and neck brace at this point, so I'm a happy guy.

And I can get back on the rollers January 7th. :D

bobswire
11-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Thanks for asking, Bob. Looks like we had simultaneous posts...

I will be riding again, and actually already doing so on the trainer (although advised to do no more than 6-7/10 effort). I'm out of the body brace (now there's a torture device) and neck brace at this point, so I'm a happy guy.

And I can get back on the rollers January 7th. :D

Good to hear, sometimes the physical part comes sooner than the mental. Especially not knowing what got you there but seems you are dealing with it fine. :beer: Nice bike BTW, kinda cool to keep around in case you ever do one of those fancy Euro La Erotica bike rides.:>)

YesNdeed
11-03-2015, 10:10 AM
I scored a sidewalk freebie last Spring(I wish I pictured it under the handwritten "free" sign, as it sat against a lamppost). Early 70s, I estimate. Nothing about it was rideable, and it wouldn't roll the half block home. Shouldering my carbon cross bike is far preferable. It wasn't a race bike in it's day, and beared the weight to prove that, but oh those lugs! It's currently my only steel frame, and I love riding it as a single speed. The green paint was NOT restorable, so I went with a white, but managed to restore the ST emblem. It's still mostly French, awaiting campy brakes. Sugino vintage cranks.

Can't upload pictures in its trashed condition upon finding it...

YesNdeed
11-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Original...

thwart
11-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Nice bike BTW, kinda cool to keep around in case you ever do one of those fancy Euro La Erotica bike rides.:>)
Well, that wasn't the intent. Just fix up a buddy's bike to help him downsize. Bike therapy. And return a favor.

But the damn thing fits me, and has a 50/36 crank and a (these must be damn hard to find nowadays) super wide 14/30 six speed freewheel.

Don't know about L'Eroica, but the steep hills around here have discouraged me from riding the vintage bikes I've owned in the recent past (42 x 24 worked for me in college, but that's 40 yrs ago :rolleyes:).

bobswire
11-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Well, that wasn't the intent. Just fix up a buddy's bike to help him downsize. Bike therapy. And return a favor.

But the damn thing fits me, and has a 50/36 crank and a (these must be damn hard to find nowadays) super wide 14/30 six speed freewheel.

Don't know about L'Eroica, but the steep hills around here have discouraged me from riding the vintage bikes I've owned in the recent past (42 x 24 worked for me in college, but that's 40 yrs ago :rolleyes:).

Aw shucks,here I thought it was La Erotica, kinda like on the lines of Gina Lollobrigida, not Beethoven (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj4JFAQ0N8c).

thwart
11-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Aw shucks,here I thought it was La Erotica, kinda like on the lines of Gina Lollobrigida, not Beethoven (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj4JFAQ0N8c).

Sign me up.

thwart
11-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Good looking 46 yr old, I'd say. Cleans up nicely.

One more request for your ride experience on a PX-10. Thanks to those who did post about theirs.

But as you may guess, I'm certainly likely to hang onto this bike... ;)

On a separate note: given how the bike looked to have been frequently ridden hard and put down wet, I thought those Campy small parts would disintegrate or fracture when I tried to remove them... no, they've actually aged well also.

weisan
11-05-2015, 08:53 AM
I'm certainly likely to hang onto this bike... ;)

Yeah, another bike waiting for me to take off your hands when the time comes....:hello:

thwart
11-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Also just discovered that the RD is a Huret Duopar... which apparently has a rep for fantastic wide range cassette shifting, but unfortunately also for fragility.

If anyone has input on setting this up correctly (or things to avoid) please pass it along.

Yeah, yeah... I know this is not Classics Rendezvous...

texbike
11-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Good looking 46 yr old, I'd say. Cleans up nicely.

Beautiful!

Yeah, another bike waiting for me to take off your hands when the time comes....:hello:

There's one even closer to you that may be available! ;)

Texbike

thwart
11-05-2015, 09:15 AM
There's one even closer to you that may be available! ;)

Texbike
And fit you better... this is a '58', after all.