PDA

View Full Version : Back from NC

spiderlake
05-22-2006, 07:41 PM
In a word, riding in NC is AWESOME! Thanks for all the great suggestions about where to ride and where to stay. It was a great week with nearly perfect weather. We split our time between road and mountain biking and even took in a race at the "mellowdrome" in Asheville. We saw a lot of pro riders out and about during our stay to include Justin England (United Pro) and a few guys from Kodak-Sierra Nevada. Not hard to miss them since they were all in full kits and tearin' up the road. Justin and a guy from Kodak raced at the velodrome and I just read that Justin "won" the Assault on Mt. Mitchell. Blue Ridge Parkway is an amazing place to ride as long as the traffic is light. I had a land yacht with a huge airstream trailer pull out in front of me on a long downhill and then had to follow him at 25MPH because I didn't have the guts to try and pass him. He finally pulled off at the Folk Art Center which is where I had parked so my dream of flying down for miles at 40+MPH was put to rest...... We logged nearly 5000 feet of climbing on day one (Oxbow Creek road is wicked!) and I was determined to ride from the Folk Art Center to the summit of Mt. Mitchell on our last day but I just didn't have the legs. Got up to around 5200 feet and called it a day. I'm convinced that if I had attempted the climb on day one that I would have made it! I am posting a few pictures from our trip. If anyone is remotely interested, I posted all the pictures (high res) to: http://photos.wassom.net/NC/

Too Tall
05-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Looking good DW :)

a100mark
05-23-2006, 07:49 AM
They say God bent down, kissed the earth and called it Asheville.........I could not agree more! :)

spiderlake
05-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks Josh - your winter training program and the countless hours on the trainer really paid off. I haven't felt this great in YEARS and my cycling has improved 110% from last year. I should have attempted Mt. Mitchell on day one. By Day 6 I was just fried. : )

Looking good DW :)

spiderlake
05-23-2006, 09:09 AM
I'll be the first to admit I am a bit of a homer when it comes to the state of Michigan but I was beyond impressed with the Asheville area. Great climate, beautiful scenery and a pretty hip restaurant scene. Nicest people I've met in a long time. We stayed in a tiny little cottage off Merriman that put us within a 3 mile climb to the Parkway (via Sunset and Old Town Mtn Road(??)..... A guy could get used to North Carolina!

They say God bent down, kissed the earth and called it Asheville.........I could not agree more! :)

Kevan
05-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I was impressed with the roads down there, and the steep climbs in that 'hood. I stayed a bit further south in the Fontana area, rode a loop including routes 28, 129 and 143. Route 129 on the Carolina and Tennessee is famous for the "Tail of the Dragon". It's a zig-zag course tested by motorcyclists. Some have failed... permanently.

Serotta PETE
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Glad everyone had fun. Yes the "tail of the dragon" is famous with the motorcycle folks. Curves and more curves. Lots of plastic is left in the trees every weekend there.

I hear SPOKES and Rapid Tourist and trying to get a tandem ride going there. :rolleyes:

Ginger
05-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Hmmmm...Tanbark

That's in the area where I was fixing my flat in March after riding it for a mile or so...oh hold it...it was the overlook after the tunnels.

I just thought the climbing was difficult. It was much easier *after* I changed the flat.

spiderlake
05-23-2006, 12:45 PM
The Tanbark section wasn't too bad from Craven Gap through the tunnels but it got a bit more difficult (for me) from Craggy Gardens to Glassmine Falls overlook. That's where I asked my wife (she was a major trooper for riding with me) if she was ready to turn around. Recognizing that I was hoping to use her as an excuse for turning around, she said it had to be my decision. Well, we turned around and I'll be back next year to get to the top of Mitchell.

EDIT - I forgot to add that I was feeling pretty good about myself making it to the Tanbark overlook until I talked to a guy that started near the same area and it was his first time ever on a bike. Tennis shoes, baggy shorts, hooded sweatshirt on an old Trek. Happy as a clam and excited about being on his bike. Humbling and energizing at the same time!

Hmmmm...Tanbark

That's in the area where I was fixing my flat in March after riding it for a mile or so...oh hold it...it was the overlook after the tunnels.

I just thought the climbing was difficult. It was much easier *after* I changed the flat.

Ti-Boy
05-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Spiderlake: We just got back from the Asheville area Friday evening. We liked it, the road riding and mountain biking so much we bought some land to build our retirement house on about 20 miles south of Asheville. We're a hop, skip and a jump away from Pisgah. Friendliest people one ever wants to meet in our experience. We're heading back there next month to close on the property. We're bringing the road and mountain bikes to get another taste of our future.