PDA

View Full Version : Wout Van Aert

weisan
11-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Taking his second consecutive win at the Bpost series.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/11/news/wout-van-aert-attacks-late-to-win-koppenbergcross_388480

Video:
http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/21352

Chose to stick with non-disc...

http://www.cyclingsite.be/sites/default/files/nieuws/wout%20aert_1.jpg

old fat man
11-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Most Euros still on canti's.

Avid Ultimate canti's are the only SRAM product that has no equal ATMA. The Euros that do use discs are mostly on hydro electric Shimano.

holliscx
11-02-2015, 02:35 AM
I don't believe this picture is recent as Wout's riding Zipps this year and his Nago has a different livery with black bar tape.

Gordito
11-02-2015, 02:47 AM
He looks scary skinny on this picture. He has put on some muscles since then.

1X10
11-02-2015, 03:49 AM
I caught most of the event via cycling fans and he looks/looked super strong...

Weather was a bit too nice, especially for that classic loop...

Considering he is a strong runner it will be exciting to watch Kojkside WC in a few weeks!!

oldpotatoe
11-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Most Euros still on canti's.

Avid Ultimate canti's are the only SRAM product that has no equal ATMA. The Euros that do use discs are mostly on hydro electric Shimano.

What??? How can they even race?? No thru-axle? NO tapered forks? No discs?

Don't they read the cycling rags??

:D

Joxster
11-02-2015, 06:29 AM
And no cassette either, I suspect something fishy

Auk
11-02-2015, 08:00 AM
What??? How can they even race?? No thru-axle? NO tapered forks? No discs?

Don't they read the cycling rags??

I think that may be the key, no, they probably don't read them but train instead. We the consumers read them with great detail and are well informed on just how fast we could be with the new stuff, but then there is the training thing. . . . :)

sparky33
11-02-2015, 08:16 AM
WvA is literally riding away from the best in the world. Incredible. I wonder if he can continue to do this as the season goes on with changing weather and other racers coming into peak form.

This Crosshairs Radio interview with Dan Seaton (http://www.cxhairs.com/2015/10/20/crosshairs-radio-episode-seven-dan-seaton/) is an interesting discussion that puts Wout and the usual suspects into context for this season.

sparky33
11-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Watching Zeonhoven Superprestige (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kP5fdTwTwM) it appear that the crowd is cheering less for the obvious winner Wout.

The cheers are coming for the chasing riders, the apparent underdogs.
And also for Sven because he's Sven.

sparky33
11-02-2015, 08:22 AM

Britishbane
11-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Where's MVP been? What am I missing.

Lewis Moon
11-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Injured.

Tandem Rider
11-02-2015, 08:35 AM
And no cassette either, I suspect something fishy

It's an update to the Russian style of shifting. Rather than screw the limit screws in to keep the bike in the 12 cog, simply carve 6 teeth into the cassette body...

chiasticon
11-02-2015, 09:26 AM
yeah most of the euro pros are on cantis. the two notable exceptions are Van Der Haar and Van Der Poel. Sven was running discs at Cross Vegas but I'm not sure after that. he kinda goes back/forth between the two and it's not always predictable which he'll be on. for example, Powers and Compton go back/forth and will usually pick discs if it's snowy or muddy.

the more interesting thing for me about WvA is that he moved to a double chainring. seems he didn't like dropping his chain both at the belgian national champs and worlds last year, so moved away from the 1X system. wonder what other euro sram riders are using...

it'll be interesting to see if WvA holds this amazing form through worlds. that'd be quite a feat. it'll also be tremendous to watch him and MvdP do battle, once he's finally back.

Lewis Moon
11-02-2015, 10:20 AM
yeah most of the euro pros are on cantis. the two notable exceptions are Van Der Haar and Van Der Poel. Sven was running discs at Cross Vegas but I'm not sure after that. he kinda goes back/forth between the two and it's not always predictable which he'll be on. for example, Powers and Compton go back/forth and will usually pick discs if it's snowy or muddy.

the more interesting thing for me about WvA is that he moved to a double chainring. seems he didn't like dropping his chain both at the belgian national champs and worlds last year, so moved away from the 1X system. wonder what other euro sram riders are using...

it'll be interesting to see if WvA holds this amazing form through worlds. that'd be quite a feat. it'll also be tremendous to watch him and MvdP do battle, once he's finally back.

I'm also kind of wondering if KFC's slow(ish) start is a tactic to peak later in the season.

Auk
11-02-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm also kind of wondering if KFC's slow(ish) start is a tactic to peak later in the season.

Hoping the Vos style of racing suits her.

weisan
11-05-2015, 11:16 AM
thanks to p_nut pal for posting this link.

http://www.cxhairs.com/2015/11/04/svenness-4-1/#more-4402

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=177001

earlfoss
11-05-2015, 12:56 PM
I wonder if Wout is not an entirely clean rider. Still, fun to watch and he's definitely on a roll last/this season.

Formulasaab
11-05-2015, 01:50 PM
If you watch SVENNESS 4.1, it looks like Wout is a sharp student who is racing smart and with the advantage of great form.

chiasticon
11-05-2015, 01:57 PM
I wonder if Wout is not an entirely clean rider. Still, fun to watch and he's definitely on a roll last/this season.I wonder that about a lot of these euro cx riders. but yeah, great fun to watch!

If you watch SVENNESS 4.1, it looks like Wout is a sharp student who is racing smarthe does have a very good mentor...

Zoodles
11-05-2015, 02:19 PM
"I wonder if Wout is not an entirely clean rider. Still, fun to watch and he's definitely on a roll last/this season."

Admittedly it is easy to be jaded as a cycling fan, however, as you state it's not just been one season that he's been on a roll? He's smart and working hard for these wins. I think we are instead seeing a changing of the guard.

weisan
11-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Man, these kids look to me like they just finished grade school....:p

weisan
12-04-2015, 08:04 PM
https://youtu.be/uNasvv3dt80

still no disc...

weisan
12-04-2015, 08:15 PM
watch a couple of fatso former world cyclocross champs duke it out in the name of charity.

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/21451

oldpotatoe
12-05-2015, 06:31 AM
:Dhttps://youtu.be/uNasvv3dt80

still no disc...

Still think weight and pad life in certain conditions turn pro Euro Cyclo racers off. Gonna be the same in the road peloton, regardless of what the knuckleheads at spam say. A 7.8kg caliper bike isn't going to be 7.8kg with discs in 2016.

Here we go, rather yak about discs than guns.:D

livingminimal
12-05-2015, 07:25 AM

Still think weight and pad life in certain conditions turn pro Euro Cyclo racers off. Gonna be the same in the road peloton, regardless of what the knuckleheads at spam say. A 7.8kg caliper bike isn't going to be 7.8kg with discs in 2016.

Here we go, rather yak about discs than guns.:D

It's also, quite frankly, because some Euro Mechanics do not want to deal with disc, have be resistant to learning the dark secrets of caliper alignment, and basically, a lot of racers don't give a crap because they're already on the bike 15-20 hours a week. They're perfectly capable with whatever equipment they're accustomed to.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2015, 07:49 AM
It's also, quite frankly, because some Euro Mechanics do not want to deal with disc, have be resistant to learning the dark secrets of caliper alignment, and basically, a lot of racers don't give a crap because they're already on the bike 15-20 hours a week. They're perfectly capable with whatever equipment they're accustomed to.

Agree. Internal hydro lines..brilliant(not). The axle/rotorsize/calipermount type are still up in the air also. Even when everything is perfect, and you get a team wheel, it can still rub. Gonna be more than a few, 'snick, snick, snick'...get off, bike toss, episodes. AND limited neutral support, w/o a proper wheel, and no team car in sight=DNF or minutes lost. Bike fall over w/o a front wheel in, lands on lever..bike change.

The Euro Pros(except Nibbles maybe) just don't mention braking as an area that needs to be improved. Reliability, functionality, weight...and weight are the big areas. PLUS maybe 'aero'...not gonna see wet discs on TT bikes. More expensive, complicated, heavier. When discs work, they work well, when they don't, they don't at all. If most Euro Cross Pros don't 'need' them, I don't see why road racers do. But they are a-comin', for good or ILL...

weisan
12-05-2015, 07:43 PM
van aert and nys went supersonic! :eek:

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/21468

1X10
12-06-2015, 05:47 AM
That race in Essen yesterday was incredible...The power and speed that they are pushing for that mere 60 minutes is wow...

I thought WVA would have a little less prowess in the mud but he handles himself nicely...has all season...

Nys....well not much to say...Nys!!!

If these guys stay healthy through the December/January push the Worlds could be the most entertaining in years...

Love it!!!

livingminimal
12-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Essen was amazing. Worlds is still a long ways away. I am hoping Nys can hold this form...
Stybar a non-factor..sorta unsurprised. Essen is his hometown, think it was more for fun.
Sanne Cant is nearly as dominate as WVA...
Rotten luck for MVDP.

This morning is good, women's race looked really good. Wyman putting Verschsuen into the tape was something else...Helen has had a tough year.

harryblack
12-06-2015, 11:49 AM
WOUT!

http://www.cxmagazine.com/van-aert-beats-nys-win-bpost-essen-video-highlights

And "imagine" how much "faster" he'd be on discs! The "modulation" alone, "bro." + the added "stiffness" of "thru axels"... It's like he's riding one legged now for all those handicaps!

(Nothing against 'discs' per se except the aggregate of lies Lies LIES about their "vast" advantages. Of course cantilevers are terribly "complicated" to set up... That 10-15 minutes, tops, from bare posts to final toe adjustment, that's never coming back I could have spent shopping for new wheels because all of my old ones are obsolete.)

nooneline
12-06-2015, 03:34 PM

late on the ball here, but I believe that Compton had some off-season injuries. She definitely had a slow start to the season. She seemed pretty pumped to land a WC podium at Koksijde - it would be nice if her slow rise to form got her a clean shot at the WCs. But the women's field is as strong as it's ever been - even without Vos and PFP, Cant, Harris, Pavlikova, Lechner and more all make for a super deep field.

shovelhd
12-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Helen raced a local race that I worked earlier this year. She looked like she was not in race shape, and she got beat by a local elite.

nooneline
12-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Helen raced a local race that I worked earlier this year. She looked like she was not in race shape, and she got beat by a local elite.

It was interesting to see how she beat Cant at Hamme-Zogge - she had a good start and a super clean race. Cant was fighting back and in her urgency, kept making mistakes. A good story about how CX can go down.

Helen's not a threat for the win at most races, but she can certainly make the most of races that go her way.

oldpotatoe
12-07-2015, 06:24 AM
WOUT!

http://www.cxmagazine.com/van-aert-beats-nys-win-bpost-essen-video-highlights

And "imagine" how much "faster" he'd be on discs! The "modulation" alone, "bro." + the added "stiffness" of "thru axels"... It's like he's riding one legged now for all those handicaps!

(Nothing against 'discs' per se except the aggregate of lies Lies LIES about their "vast" advantages. Of course cantilevers are terribly "complicated" to set up... That 10-15 minutes, tops, from bare posts to final toe adjustment, that's never coming back I could have spent shopping for new wheels because all of my old ones are obsolete.)

tee hee:D

livingminimal
12-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Helen's not a threat for the win at most races, but she can certainly make the most of races that go her way.

I think we can agree she's been MORE of a threat historically than she has been this year...she has won Koppenberg three times...

chiasticon
12-07-2015, 07:38 AM
loving all the disc hatred in this thread :D

btw, did anyone notice that Sven was back on cantis at Essen? and it was pretty damn muddy. loved listening to the audio when him, Wout and MvdP were railing turns; you'd hear loud squealing of MvdP's discs, then "shhhh" and "shhhh" of carbon braking from Wout/Sven.

wish MvdP had had better luck yesterday. he's getting there...

oldpotatoe
12-07-2015, 07:42 AM

btw, did anyone notice that Sven was back on cantis at Essen? and it was pretty damn muddy. loved listening to the audio when him, Wout and MvdP were railing turns; you'd hear loud squealing of MvdP's discs, then "shhhh" and "shhhh" of carbon braking from Wout/Sven.

really? discs squealing? :D:D

livingminimal
12-07-2015, 07:46 AM

Joe, you're funny. I thought your latest steed was disc...
Anyway, buy my Stinner :hello:
-(@dgafterdark)

chiasticon
12-07-2015, 07:50 AM
I thought your latest steed was disc...
Anyway, buy my Stinner :hello:
-(@dgafterdark)all cantis for me, dude. and you're way taller than me, so no dice!

crankles
12-07-2015, 03:39 PM

This morning is good, women's race looked really good. Wyman putting Verschsuen into the tape was something else...Helen has had a tough year.

Verschueren is my new favorite to watch but I saw that as Helen teaching the youngster how to protect the pole. Verschueren was trying to take an inside line on a slight left on that uphill and
WYman just said ."oh no you dont". That being said, Verschueren, then taught the elder stateswomen a lesson by running past on the uphill while Wyman peddled! THAT women can run. When Jolien learns to clip in better, ride off- camber like Cant and get better starts...she went from a front row start to something like 12th by the first turn....she will be even more fun to watch.

crankles
12-07-2015, 03:42 PM
so much disc hate...wow. For cross, I'm not going back. For road, I dunno because I haven't tried it yet. If it's really, muddy, I'll have a wheelset with solid rotors...or be like sven and have a canti equipped pit bike...probably the former.

for folks like me still racing long past their prime, things like disc brakes and Di2 are godsends for my ever increasing arthritic wrists.
Being able to single finger brake from the hoods on my cross bike is the bees-knees and will allow me to continually embarrass myself into my 60s.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2015, 06:20 AM
so much disc hate...wow. For cross, I'm not going back. For road, I dunno because I haven't tried it yet. If it's really, muddy, I'll have a wheelset with solid rotors...or be like sven and have a canti equipped pit bike...probably the former.

for folks like me still racing long past their prime, things like disc brakes and Di2 are godsends for my ever increasing arthritic wrists.
Being able to single finger brake from the hoods on my cross bike is the bees-knees and will allow me to continually embarrass myself into my 60s.

'Hate' is a pretty big word. I think most, me anyway, dislike the marketing BS and balderdash about how discs on all bikes are something brought down from the mountain top.

Is there applications where discs are clearly superior? Sure, just look at why MTBs got discs in the first place.

chiasticon
12-08-2015, 06:46 AM
so much disc hate...wow. For cross, I'm not going back.yeah, hate is a strong word. I said it above, but it was really just tongue-in-cheek. the sentiment was more "I love seeing other people still supporting cantis" than hatred of discs. I believe that there are benefits to riding discs, but I think they primarily come in when you've got carbon braking surfaces; discs give you a more consistent braking feel. but how many of us need to (or can even afford to) race cross on carbon wheels? other than pros, of course (who have those nice big logos on their wheels). aluminium braking surface with a good set of properly set up cantis brakes perfectly fine for me; and yes, I've compared it with hydro discs.

shovelhd
12-08-2015, 06:53 AM
I think we can agree she's been MORE of a threat historically than she has been this year...she has won Koppenberg three times...

She absolutely crushed Gloucester last year. That was the last time I saw her race in person.