PDA

View Full Version : A quick plug for Tektro Mini-V's - awesome brakes for the money.

velotrack
11-01-2015, 07:27 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u4A-ytR8ePM/TLEWGmLfHkI/AAAAAAAABVQ/fcqwGGzlr6s/s1600/Tektro.jpg

These.

I wish I had discovered them sooner. I've got them set up on a commuter frame, and they've been super solid so far. Great stopping power with modest looks, but it's what you'd expect for the price - $15 each brake. They come in a nice silver too, if you're into that.

They're 80mm arms (85mm arms for the Tektro RX-5's, 90 for the CX9's for reference) so a little less fender clearance, but the rx-5 option is out there for the same price. But I can say that if you don't have the dough for the flashier TRP option or the beautiful Pauls, these work just great. I would say at least 90%+ of the performance for less than a fourth the cost. Just throwing this out there, since I don't see them being mentioned too often. Or maybe I don't pay enough attention :)

Pelican
11-01-2015, 07:28 PM
I've got a silver set that I'm still waiting to use. Pair them up with some Tektro levers for cheap & powerful braking.

bobswire
11-01-2015, 07:55 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u4A-ytR8ePM/TLEWGmLfHkI/AAAAAAAABVQ/fcqwGGzlr6s/s1600/Tektro.jpg

These.

I wish I had discovered them sooner. I've got them set up on a commuter frame, and they've been super solid so far. Great stopping power with modest looks, but it's what you'd expect for the price - $15 each brake. They come in a nice silver too, if you're into that.

They're 80mm arms (85mm arms for the Tektro RX-5's, 90 for the CX9's for reference) so a little less fender clearance, but the rx-5 option is out there for the same price. But I can say that if you don't have the dough for the flashier TRP option or the beautiful Pauls, these work just great. I would say at least 90%+ of the performance for less than a fourth the cost. Just throwing this out there, since I don't see them being mentioned too often. Or maybe I don't pay enough attention :)

Agree!

GregL
11-02-2015, 09:49 AM
I have RX-5s on our family tandem. They have great modulation and have stopped us comfortably at the bottom of double digit grades (e.g., Skyline Drive at Bluff Point on Keuka Lake, NY). Amazing performance for an inexpensive component!

- Greg

benb
11-02-2015, 10:18 AM
It took me a few months of tweaking but I finally seem to have my CX-9s working perfectly and they're fantastic now..

My only issue with these cheaper ones is it looks like they don't have cartridge style pad holders so you're going to fiddle with adjustment every time on pad changes.. that's worth a few $$ to me although you can always buy these cheap ones and swap in cartridge pad holder for a few $ more. (I did that on my CR720s I had before the CX-9s but it didn't really help a whole lot.)

KonaSS
11-02-2015, 12:42 PM
I know this isn't classifieds, I have a pair of new black Rx-5s that have been installed but never ridden. Project went another direction. $20 shipped.

nalax
11-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I got a pair of Tektro 926 for just over 20 bucks for my Black Mountain Cycles cross frame this summer and they worked great with some leftover Koolstop pads I had. Then I came across a set of TRP CX8.4 for 80 bucks and tried those. The TRP are better finished and have an adjustable noodle but the main braking difference is in the pads. The Tektros with adjustable noodle and better pads are a bargain.

hiljentaa
11-02-2015, 04:36 PM
I have a pair of BX3V's with Kool Stop pads on my cross bike and they are amazing. Best brakes of all my bikes, actually.

Pretty amazing for $12 each.

David_K
11-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Using the RX-5 with Campagnolo 11 spd levers. They're working well with good modulation and plenty of power. They clear my fenders with 32s underneath, and I crammed a rack in the fork crown hole too. I found a noodle with a barrel adjuster to be a useful addition.

johngmartin
11-05-2015, 07:39 AM
Using the RX-5 with Campagnolo 11 spd levers. They're working well with good modulation and plenty of power. They clear my fenders with 32s underneath, and I crammed a rack in the fork crown hole too. I found a noodle with a barrel adjuster to be a useful addition.

David - do you think the RX-5 could happily fit 35c's + fenders? I am thinking about them for a commuter build this winter.

David_K
11-05-2015, 02:07 PM
I've used Jack Brown's on TB-14 under the same (VO) 45mm fenders, though with canti brakes. The fender-tire clearance was a bit tighter but not stupid close, rode unpaved roads aplenty with no issues. It might be a close fit with the v-brakes but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

GregL
11-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Resurrecting this thread to add a data point. On today's ride, my wife and I conducted a panic stop test on our tandem courtesy of a deer jumping out of a hedge row. At 35+ MPH on a slight downhill, Bambi ran across our path about 100 feet ahead. I pulled the brakes for all I was worth and we stopped well before the deer's path. Approximately 350 pounds of riders and bike, Tektro RX-5s, Kool Stop Salmon pads, Ultegra 6603 levers, Jagwire Road Pro XL cables/housings. The stoker was very pleased with the results!

Greg

velotrack
11-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Resurrecting this thread to add a data point. On today's ride, my wife and I conducted a panic stop test on our tandem courtesy of a deer jumping out of a hedge row. At 35+ MPH on a slight downhill, Bambi ran across our path about 100 feet ahead. I pulled the brakes for all I was worth and we stopped well before the deer's path. Approximately 350 pounds of riders and bike, Tektro RX-5s, Kool Stop Salmon pads, Ultegra 6603 levers, Jagwire Road Pro XL cables/housings. The stoker was very pleased with the results!

Greg

That's awesome. Glad you are safe!

R3awak3n
11-28-2015, 07:44 PM
I got them on my wifes bike, also with kool stops and they are great!

Spin
11-29-2015, 09:39 AM
I use them. Jagwire makes a conversion brake shoe that takes road pads and still has the angle adjustment ability that a linear pull brake needs.