PDA

View Full Version : aging, arrythimia, and cycling vs other sports?

wallymann
11-01-2015, 06:55 PM
all of the recent discussion about this topic following the the VN article about Zinn's problems got me thinking.

is there something specific to the physiological demands of competitive cycling, the incredibly spikey nature of the power/HR in particular, that makes cycling more likely to cause arrythmia in older cyclist compared to say running or speed-skating xc-skiing or any one of a number of other endurance sports? the other sports can be similarly demanding, but the HR demands are generally pretty smooth.

in bike racing HR traces are all over the freakin' map. well mine are. one second i'm noodling along barely above 100 and the next moment my HR is knocking at 190.

anyway, just curious if there's a sport-specific dimension to this.

Tickdoc
11-01-2015, 07:00 PM
all of the recent discussion about this topic following the the VN article about Zinn's problems got me thinking.

is there something specific to the physiological demands of competitive cycling, the incredibly spikey nature of the power/HR in particular, that makes cycling more likely to cause arrythmia in older cyclist compared to say running or speed-skating xc-skiing or any one of a number of other endurance sports? the other sports can be similarly demanding, but the HR demands are generally pretty smooth.

in bike racing HR traces are all over the freakin' map. well mine are. one second i'm noodling along barely above 100 and the next moment my HR is knocking at 190.

anyway, just curious if there's a sport-specific dimension to this.

Genetics....I put my money on genetics.

gasman
11-01-2015, 07:22 PM
I know it's a risk with long time runners. I suspect that any endurance sport done for many years will pre-dispose you atrial arrhythmias if you are genetically susceptible.

rnhood
11-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Its both, genetics and many years of hard endurance sports. It likely shows up more in cycling since its a sport that can be enjoyed well into the years as its easier on the joints, and there is lots of camaraderie within this activity.

I don't think pro cyclists, the ones we watch on TV and read about at the grand Tours, are as affected since once they turn about 35, their careers are over. They may continue to ride over the years, but it doesn't appear they are out there year after year participating in Iron man type events trying to set new personal bests. They are not "driven", so to speak.

I started having A-fib at 50 then had an ablation at 59 which cured it. The procedure was not a big deal. However, my a-fib was genetic since at 50 I wasn't heavy into sports, nor had I ever been. So there were not any latent defects or anomalies evident. The medical protocol might be a little different when anomalies like a thicken heart wall, or enlarged heart are present.