PDA

View Full Version : Stem advice

Bud
05-22-2006, 06:00 PM
No- it's not too short, it's just not stiff enough atmo.

Now that we got that out of the way. . . I have a 120 mm specialized stem (84*) on my Fierte, and it has too much flex for my liking, especially when I'm out of the saddle. So I'd like suggestions on a new, stiffer stem (same length, 26.0). Price is a bit of an issue. I'd rather not spend $100. Here are a few I was thinking about:

-Easton EA70
-Ritchey WCS Road
-Deda Newton (too expensive, though: $105 from Excel)

Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed. I know a few of you have had good things to say about the Ritchey stems.

thanks in advance for your wisdom. . .

dave thompson
05-22-2006, 06:18 PM

Now that we got that out of the way. . . I have a 120 mm specialized stem (84*) on my Fierte, and it has too much flex for my liking, especially when I'm out of the saddle. So I'd like suggestions on a new, stiffer stem (same length, 26.0). Price is a bit of an issue. I'd rather not spend $100. Here are a few I was thinking about:

-Easton EA70
-Ritchey WCS Road

Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed. I know a few of you have had good things to say about the Ritchey stems.

No flex in my WCS.

e-RICHIE
05-22-2006, 06:40 PM
i like richie stems but like oval concepts (http://www.ovalconcepts.com/productsDetails.php?idProdotti=43&idProd1=2) better atmo

Bud
05-22-2006, 07:04 PM
i like richie stems but like oval concepts (http://www.ovalconcepts.com/productsDetails.php?idProdotti=43&idProd1=2) better atmo

Looks nice and pretty economical too from aebike ($54). Stiff is the key. I'll consider it- thanks atmo.

davids
05-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Ritchey stems make me happy.

e-RICHIE posts make me giggle.

Bud
06-01-2006, 10:27 AM
SO I got the Oval Concepts R700 and put it on last night. This morning's commute was the first ride with the new stem, and it's pretty sweet. No flexy when I climby out of the saddle. And the price was right, too. Nice stuff. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Marcusaurelius
06-01-2006, 10:37 AM

-Easton EA70
-Ritchey WCS Road

I had a ritchey pro stem and it was very stiff. The WCS is a little lighter so perhaps not quite as stiff.

Dave
06-01-2006, 10:40 AM
If money is an issue, try a Ritchey Comp, only $40 and has a boxy extension that's not round.

FWIW, I'm offering an Easton EA-50 in a 120mm on E-bay for $25. I always found the EA-50 stiff enough, but then I don't jerk on the bars much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7245579463&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Bud
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes, I considered the Ritchey but went with the Oval Concepts. All is good now. . .

Fixed
06-01-2006, 01:17 PM
bro check ebay guys change stems like they do shoes
cheers