PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Romin popularity...

SoCalSteve
11-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Hi all,

I've been reading threads on this Forum for more than 10 years and a constant theme when it comes to saddle recommendations is the Specialized Romin.

As we all know, saddle preferences are very personal. Just curious as to why this saddle is so popular.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences and flames all welcome.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Plum Hill
11-01-2015, 12:16 PM
To start, I hate anything Specialized.
My LBS recommended the Romin so I gave it a shot. I have to admit it was a vast improvement in comfort over my vintage Flite. The cut-out relieved pressure and provided what seemed like a hammock effect. It smoothed out the terribly rough road that heads out of my town.
One reason it was recommended was the rolled rear of the saddle (fitter thought it would tilt my pelvis). That was one of the negatives I had with it. My crappy lower back hurt after every ride with the saddle.
Other reasons against it were the squared off edges of the nose and that the saddle didn't narrow out quick enough for me.

Based on the comfort factor, I would highly recommend trying one.
Your anatomy may love it.

biker72
11-01-2015, 12:28 PM
I have all Specialized saddles on my bikes. Two are Romin Evo.

A number of my co-workers at the bike shop have switched to the Romin.
Try one out and see how it works for you.

Cicli
11-01-2015, 12:28 PM
I have been curious also. That said, I have never asked because I would never own a Specialized saddle or anything else for that matter.
Dont like the company or the LBS that sells them. Too bad, they may be a nice saddle.

rnhood
11-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Like many people, I've never had a saddle that I really loved. So at some point in the past, I decided to find one that was acceptable and stick with it. Enter the Romin. Its not perfect for my rear end but, it meets my acceptability criteria. I can ride a century, then ride another 30 miles home. The next day I can ride it again, though not as far. Its no randonneuring saddle, but it strikes a good balance between the desirable virtues of comfort and performance. In particular, I can ride the drops for a while before starting to feel some numbness - and its easy to mitigate on this saddle. I have found that one size larger seems to work better. In other words, I ride the saddle one size larger than indicated on the Spec saddle measurement tool. I will mention that this did not work on the "Power" saddle however, as the recommended size was correct - or even one size down. So be careful interpreting the tool's measurement results. Everybody will be a little different.

As some fitter once said, the Romin is similar to an SMP, just not as strong in profile. The SMPs can be a little much in profile, locking one in place just a little too much. This does not happen with the Romin, and as you roll your hips to transfer more weight to the pubic bone area the saddle seems to conform nicely to the under side. Things seem too abrupt with the SMPs as your hips roll, or move. Or at least most of them. The flatter Toupe saddle was agony for me.

Having said this, I continue to try saddles when its convenient. The Romin is not perfect, but very acceptable.

You can order one from Specialized and have 30 days to try it. Hard to beat that kind of policy. My advice is to try one in the 155 size. With this particular saddle, it seems to have a wider margin of error on the wider size.

professerr
11-01-2015, 12:57 PM
The Romin is my favorite saddle by far.

The cutout is substantial but in just the right place. I can pivot my hips forward with no pressure.

The back kicks up a bit, which I like on hills. Depending on where you take the measurements and how you level the saddle, there is actually a slight dip in the center -- about 7mm lower if you place a ruler across the highest point in the rear and the highest point in there front. Pivoting the saddle to point "down" more will result in the kick in the back feeling higher and the dip less significant. (I run mine exactly flat).

It comes in different widths, which is really key for me.

They are cheap.

The only complaint I have is that I wish the front were narrower.

No major qualms with Specialized and their business practices, at least based on what I've read on the various forums

bianchi10
11-01-2015, 01:56 PM
I had a Romin evo that was great until it wasn't. I began to feel that it was ok but it should be better. Tried a Toupe and that was good also, but killed my sit bones.

Specialized power saddle has been the answer for me. Nothing but goodness

rodcad
11-01-2015, 02:34 PM
I ride what works and could care less about the company. I was never comfy on a bike until I switched to Romin's.

BdaGhisallo
11-01-2015, 03:19 PM
I had a Romin evo that was great until it wasn't. I began to feel that it was ok but it should be better. Tried a Toupe and that was good also, but killed my sit bones.

I agree on the Power. Was on the Romin for a few years and the Power is an improvement on a great saddle.

PaMtbRider
11-01-2015, 03:26 PM
I have both the Romin and the Romin Evo. I am happy on both but prefer the Evo. I probably tried a dozen saddles over a few years time till I tried the Romin. I actually need to pick up another one, so if anybody has a 143 with Ti rails pm me.

yashcha
11-01-2015, 06:22 PM

Same here, liked the Romin, Love the Power Expert.

bcroslin
11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
If you hate $pecialized you can always buy the Shimano/ Pro knock off saddle

R3awak3n
11-01-2015, 08:20 PM

until the power doesnt do it for you and you are on to another saddle.

It didn't do it for me either, at first was super comfortable then not so much. I have no idea why. I am not on a selle super flow and its decent but still not perfect.

douglas
11-02-2015, 07:18 AM
I've tried lots of saddles and never found the right one. The Romin Evo is the right one for me. I like the cut-out and with 4 widths you can find one which will probably fit your sit bones. I have a Phenom and a Toupe and like them both too, but the Romin is the best of the lot--it just fits. You can get different levels of cushioning too.
Our Specialized dealer is a one man show in a small town. He loves bikes and he's great to do business with.

bianchi10
11-02-2015, 07:28 AM
until the power doesnt do it for you and you are on to another saddle.

It didn't do it for me either, at first was super comfortable then not so much. I have no idea why. I am not on a selle super flow and its decent but still not perfect.
That could certainly happen! I rode my romin evo for 1.5 years h til I decided to try other options. Thiugh, I will say that the romin evo took a lot of effort to get the angle just right. If it wasnt, it was an ass hatchet. Still chafed from a little on the romin evo but just figured it was part of cycling. Have not had one ride where I came back with chafing. Now have about 800 miles on my s works and it's been flawless.

zap
11-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Thoughts, opinions, experiences and flames all welcome.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Hated the evil Romin sisters. The saddles were fine until I started riding on the hoods and murder when I was in the drops.

SoCalSteve
11-02-2015, 09:07 AM
That could certainly happen! I rode my romin evo for 1.5 years h til I decided to try other options. Thiugh, I will say that the romin evo took a lot of effort to get the angle just right. If it wasnt, it was an ass hatchet. Still chafed from a little on the romin evo but just figured it was part of cycling. Have not had one ride where I came back with chafing. Now have about 800 miles on my s works and it's been flawless.

Which saddle are you talking about when you say 800 miles and it's flawless? I'm sure it's there in the text, I'm just not reading it correctly.

Thank you!

andrew+
11-02-2015, 10:27 AM
I love the original Romin Expert. Tried the Evo recently and it's just not quite the same for me.

So...if anyone has a black 155 that they'd like to trade for a black 155 Evo Expert, let me know.

ptourkin
11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Switched from Aliantes to Romin 143s on all my bikes except track, which has a Toupe. I've done a number of 600k and 500 mile events on them. They work for me. I've considered a Power for when I use aero bars on my road bike for long events.

cdn_bacon
11-02-2015, 03:06 PM
143's 155's

evo's

pro's

I wanted them to work. Initially they felt amazing...but I couldn't get away form the pain.

Aliante is the one for me.

one 160 and two 100's plus commuting it's the comfiest. Gave the Romin the old college try, but she no work. :no:

tjk23
11-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I've had a Romin for a while now and thought I needed to try something new. There was a lot of good things said about the Specialized power saddle so I gave one a try. It didn't last very long, the power saddle seems to be good if you stay in one place on the saddle. I move around more than I thought I did and the power saddle really made that apparent. So I'm back on my trusted Romin. They are great saddles if they fit you right.

azrider
11-02-2015, 04:30 PM

Which saddle are you talking about when you say 800 miles and it's flawless? I'm sure it's there in the text, I'm just not reading it correctly.

Thank you!

He's talking about S Works Power Saddle

I'm in the middle of testing a Power Saddle and am not ready to say yay or nay just yet.

Shoeman
11-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Love My Expert 155mm!!!!!!!!!!!!

skouri1
11-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Personally, I didnt like the sharp edge which rubbed my inner thigh a bunch. though I hear the evo addresses this. Also, the channel relieved pressure on the taint, but focused pressure on my leg in an odd, numb inducing way at times. Maybe my tilt was off...
I switched to prologo scratch and prefer the more even pressure distribution without the cutout. All good, won't ride anything else for the foreseeable future.
The fit system did get me off an SLR which was too narrow for my sit bones, so I thank specialized for that.

needmobikes
11-02-2015, 11:55 PM
I like the Romin Expert gel, use a SWorks Chicane, but love the Fabric Shallow Pro. I keep the Romin on my standby bike. It's overall useage ranges from 20-60mi trips, in hoods/drops, kit and urban clothing; it's an overall great saddle....but, I just found it not as comfy as my new fave Fabric.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk