PDA

View Full Version : OT: trick or treat?

Cicli
10-31-2015, 03:31 PM
So, whats the age cutoff? I just denied three 18 year old boys with no costumes. One had a moustache but it was genuine. I think 18 is a bit old. My old man would have rode my ass like a government mule if I did that.

pinkshogun
10-31-2015, 03:36 PM
im going out on this with a long black wig, viking helmet, and leather jacket. the candy i get i pass out to the kids in the juvenile prison where i work

Seramount
10-31-2015, 03:45 PM
So, whats the age cutoff? I just denied three 18 year old boys with no costumes. One had a moustache but it was genuine. I think 18 is a bit old. My old man would have rode my ass like a government mule if I did that.

well, first of all, no costume, no treat...

as far as age, um...depends.

the 3 college-aged girls that came by the house last year dressed as Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders got double helpings of goodies.

thegunner
10-31-2015, 04:02 PM
google tells me that there's no age cutoff, but goddamnit - put some effort into a costume at least.

gasman
10-31-2015, 05:11 PM
If you have a costume, you get a treat. Otherwise "Get off my lawn"

cat6
10-31-2015, 05:16 PM
I don't know what the age cutoff is but you'd better keep an eye out this evening for 3 guys without costumes tossing eggs at your house.

kramnnim
10-31-2015, 05:29 PM
I don't know what the age cutoff is but you'd better keep an eye out this evening for 3 guys without costumes tossing eggs at your house.

This was my thought when I read the first post.

Cicli
10-31-2015, 05:31 PM

Nah. I live in a small rural neighborhood. The one kids did I ride with. That wouldnt end well for him. They are good kids just out trying to get some free junk food.

Peter P.
10-31-2015, 05:34 PM
I just had a high school aged girl ring the bell.

When I said, "Okay; let's hear it!", she said, "I don't say it."

This girl had REAL issues and an attitude with getting something for nothing. I could tell that was going to be her theme for life.

I told her, "Okay; then you don't get anything."

Between and her mom (I presume that was her mom in tow) we squeezed her like a blind zit until she complied.

I don't feel I'm being mean; I do think that asking them to say "Trick or Treat" for their candy is teaching them a subtle life lesson while having fun along the way.

Addendum: My 3 bikes are visible through the open front door. I had some youths of dubious appearance and provenance comment on the "nice bikes" when I think they really know nothing about bikes. What I really heard them saying is; "we're gonna break in and steal them."

In the future, I'll keep my bikes out of view of the trick or treaters.

victoryfactory
10-31-2015, 05:45 PM
I dressed up as a clueless out of touch old man.
Already had the costume. Didn't need any makeup.
I'm told it was very scary.

VF

gone
10-31-2015, 06:26 PM
One real upside of living in the sticks: there's absolutely no return on investment for either trick or treaters or those wishing to destroy property in the name of "fun" going down my lengthy dead end road to get to my long driveway (where I can see them coming from a mile away) to either beg for candy or do something "cute"

Bah humbug (oh wait, wrong holiday)

bwanabaska
10-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Hey Peter P,

I once lived in Meriden, things haven't changed much!

rugbysecondrow
10-31-2015, 07:22 PM
Candy for the kids, cooler of beer for the adults. Everybody gets something.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
11-01-2015, 05:20 AM
im going out on this with a long black wig, viking helmet, and leather jacket. the candy i get i pass out to the kids in the juvenile prison where i work

Ouch, thanks for your service but this is quite sad.

For right below..even in uber safe Boulder, many opt for a mall or Pearl St mall halloween..

gemship
11-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Not one kid showed up at my home. I live in a rural neighborhood where there is a solid minute or two of power walking between some houses and maybe ten minutes of walking between others. Very little to no streetlights and no sidewalks. Most of the kids are all grown up where I live so yeah no trick or treating. I woke up to a clean truck with no shaving cream or toilet paper. Since nobody stopped by last year or the year before I didn't bother to buy candy.

When did Haloween get so commercialized? Why do some communities have block parties, this holiday used to be great. Kids spend money on manufactured costumes when they should make their own. The best treats were homemade things but now we live fear of being poisened or razor blades. God forbid you live near a sex offender. Ironically who wants someone even knocking on their door? Not I.

buddybikes
11-01-2015, 02:34 PM
When I was a kid, my brother went as a fisherman, my father had just came from the ocean with a bucket of flounder. Someone wasn't home or something like that (too young to remember) brother left the dead fish in the front door.

Guess it is past the time of prosecution, it was around 1967...

vav
11-01-2015, 02:44 PM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/ceca2196385bfe34883bc546e44c7fcf/tumblr_nt42rnkV551rx4yq5o1_500.gif

cmg
11-01-2015, 04:22 PM
gave candy to anybody that came by, No age cutoff, gave candy whether they said trick or treat or not, costume or none. don't care if they all become criminals from my lack of trying to impose some kind of moral lesson on a silly commercialized holiday. .......... :cool:

brendonk
11-01-2015, 05:38 PM
On the other end of the spectrum it drives me nuts when parents dress their infants up in costumes and show up at the door with a pillow case trying to get every free piece of candy possible. Then they jump in a waiting mini-van to head to the next neighborhood.
In the past I've had a "good" candy bowl and a "no way you deserve top shelf candy" bowl for just those occasions. And teenagers without costumes.

Seramount
11-01-2015, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=brendonk;1852657In the past I've had a "good" candy bowl and a "no way you deserve top shelf candy" bowl for just those occasions. And teenagers without costumes.[/QUOTE]

the losers get loose Candy Corn pieces...

nobody eats that crap.

rcnute
11-01-2015, 05:50 PM
What's up with the kids grabbing handfuls of candy? One and done.

Ryan

Peter P.
11-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Hey Peter P,

I once lived in Meriden, things haven't changed much!

Everybody says the same thing to me!

tumbler
11-02-2015, 08:51 AM
gave candy to anybody that came by, No age cutoff, gave candy whether they said trick or treat or not, costume or none. don't care if they all become criminals from my lack of trying to impose some kind of moral lesson on a silly commercialized holiday. .......... :cool:

+1. I think of it like spreading Christmas cheer. I'm not going to judge your costume, your age, or your delivery of "trick or treat". If you get out there on Oct 31 and ring my doorbell, you get some candy.

AngryScientist
11-02-2015, 09:00 AM
+1. I think of it like spreading Christmas cheer. I'm not going to judge your costume, your age, or your delivery of "trick or treat". If you get out there on Oct 31 and ring my doorbell, you get some candy.

agreed. some of you guys need to lighten up a little. teenagers scoring some candy, what's the big deal? hanging out with their friends staying relatively out of trouble, not like they were asking for booze. there are certainly worse things they can be doing.

shovelhd
11-02-2015, 09:29 AM
We had one group of small kids and parents from the neighborhood. Nice people, nice kids, all handmade costumes. At 7pm we put the candy bowl on the porch with a "help yourself" note and headed down to the local pub for dinner. It was empty when we returned. Video would have been interesting.

DRZRM
11-02-2015, 09:39 AM
First thing, I love candy corn. Best thing about this time of year.

We recently moved to a BIG TIME halloween neighborhood...like you could not sit back down at the TV before the bell rang. Pretty much nonstop from 6-8:15 when we ran out of candy, and we bought a lot of candy (big Costco bag, plus a few last minute reinforcements from the drug store, several hundred pieces). Some neighbors were complaining to me about "poor" (and yes I read that as non-white) families from other neighborhoods driving into the neighborhood for candy...shameful behavior (the neighbors, not the parents).

It was awesome, haunted houses, huge decorations, fog machines and light shows, my kids had a blast. I'll have to buy more candy next year.

BTW, when did the parents start dressing up with their kids? Seems like a new trend.

redir
11-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I only get about a dozen kids. I've never seen teenagers nor anyone without a costume. If I did see a teenager without a costume I'd probably just joke around with him and give him something anyway. But generally speaking I always thought it was a sort of grade school aged activity.

rugbysecondrow
11-02-2015, 10:11 AM
agreed. some of you guys need to lighten up a little. teenagers scoring some candy, what's the big deal? hanging out with their friends staying relatively out of trouble, not like they were asking for booze. there are certainly worse things they can be doing.

I am with you. Here is a 10 cent piece of candy, enjoy your evening. Happy Halloween.

It really isn't that hard.

People find the weirdest stuff to get worked up about.

benb
11-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Pretty fun times for us... everyone needs to lighten up.

This was my son's first time trick or treating. (He turns 3 in 3 weeks)

Last year he had a costume but was too little to walk. We went around the block this year (maybe 10 houses?) He loved it.

We left a giant bowl of candy outside the front door while we were gone with instructions to take 3. No one took the whole bowl, if someone took 10 or 20 pieces we certainly didn't care. Lots of other houses in the neighborhood had a bowl of candy on the steps like that too while they were out with their kids.

Little kids often are too shy to say "Trick or Treat". We got a few older kids but I think they all had costumes. I wouldn't have cut anyone off.

Growing up I was mostly in the category of "it's too far between houses". A few years we got driven to somewhere that had a higher density to make it more fun.

Birddog
11-02-2015, 11:51 AM
We had 35 TT'ers this year, down 5 from last year. Most were in the 5 to 8 year old category and all had good costumes except 2 boys about 13 years old that had basically donned their sweats. I told them their costumes were weak and they rolled their eyes. You could tell that they had heard that before. I told them they would have gotten more swag if they had better costumes.

We hand out 3 to 5 mini bars for each and I try to sneak in a rubber spider, cockroach or millipede as well. It's great fun and the kids are a blast. I rigged up a 24" wingspread bat and a stuffed rat so that they drop from the porch ceiling right in front of the urchins when I open the storm door. A few were spooked and the accompanying parents seemed to like it too, esp the 6'6" dad that was dressed up as Batman. We also always have 2 or 3 Jack O' Lanterns as well.

jonnyBgood
11-02-2015, 12:48 PM
My Wife and I took our 4 and 7 year old boys around one part of our neighborhood and the boys filled up their buckets and we stopped by the house and dumped the candy out and walked around the other side of the neighborhood and had a great time. We were probably out walking for an hour and a half to two hours. Talking with other neighbors and whatnot.
We leave a big basket on the porch so people can help themselves. When we got back the boys went through their candy and we donate the stuff they don't want and whatever we have leftover in the basket (minus the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups) we donate to the Troops over Seas.
I was surprised at how many neighbors that had their garages decked out as Haunted Houses. We probably saw 7 or 8 that kids could walk through.