PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of reported sensor signal strength

LJohnny
10-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a PC-based software to analyze the recorded signal strength of sensors like cadence/speed, power meter, etc on a .fit file?

Thanks!

thegunner
10-31-2015, 03:00 PM
golden cheetah (if i'm reading your question correctly)

LJohnny
10-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Thanks!

To re-phrase, basically on a .fit file, I want to read the reported/received signal strength from sensors on the bike, like cadence/speed, power, Di2.

SoCalSteve
10-31-2015, 03:43 PM
Thanks!

To re-phrase, basically on a .fit file, I want to read the reported/received signal strength from sensors on the bike, like cadence/speed, power, Di2.

Why? I would assume the sensors would either work ( send signal to gps unit ) or not. Seems very black and white. I've never had a sensor " kind of " work. Either it does or it doesn't. The only time it may be spotty is if the battery is going dead.

Just curious why you would want to measure this.

thegunner
10-31-2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks!

then i have no clue where you'd get this (is it even in the fit file?), are you trying to figure out a confidence interval for the accuracy of the data?

LJohnny
10-31-2015, 04:16 PM
then i have no clue where you'd get this (is it even in the fit file?), are you trying to figure out a confidence interval for the accuracy of the data?

Yes, for Garmin computers, the quality of the received signal is in the .fit file. It is basically a way to look at what the head unit is reporting as signal. It actually does not mean it is the signal emitted by the sensor, it is what the head unit is reporting as "received signal." So it is an informative parameter with that caveat. I was having some issues with a power meter. See below

Why? I would assume the sensors would either work ( send signal to gps unit ) or not. Seems very black and white. I've never had a sensor " kind of " work. Either it does or it doesn't. The only time it may be spotty is if the battery is going dead.

Just curious why you would want to measure this.

Actually, no, it is not-all-or-none type signal. In a discussion with a PM manufacturer it was brought to my attention that the signal out does have a variance, on most PM units maybe 10% difference in signal power is acceptable. But in my specific case when they looked at the Garmin .fit file, they found that my unit was transmitting signal in the low 70% vs 90+% which would be the acceptable standard dev range.

SoCalSteve
10-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Yes, for Garmin computers, the quality of the received signal is in the .fit file. It is basically a way to look at what the head unit is reporting as signal. It actually does not mean it is the signal emitted by the sensor, it is what the head unit is reporting as "received signal." So it is an informative parameter with that caveat. I was having some issues with a power meter. See below

Actually, no, it is not-all-or-none type signal. In a discussion with a PM manufacturer it was brought to my attention that the signal out does have a variance, on most PM units maybe 10% difference in signal power is acceptable. But in my specific case when they looked at the Garmin .fit file, they found that my unit was transmitting signal in the low 70% vs 90+% which would be the acceptable standard dev range.

Do you believe there could be this much variance in cadence, speed or heart rate monitor sensors?

Makes sense that a power meter may have more variance. Kinda...:confused:

LJohnny
10-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Do you believe there could be this much variance in cadence, speed or heart rate monitor sensors?

Makes sense that a power meter may have more variance. Kinda...:confused:

In the specific case that I am interested in looking at, the manufacturer actually found the signal in the low 70 percentile (and it was diagnosed as not normal i.e. defective). They do said that 90-100% is the range that is considered normal for their product.

I actually have no idea if this variability of signal transmission/reception is also prevalent in cadence/speed, Di2 Wi-Fly, HR-band etc. Maybe when batts are low, signal strength decays?

thegunner
10-31-2015, 05:04 PM
Uhm, for personal curiosity, is this a stages arm?

Peter P.
10-31-2015, 05:38 PM
Anybody know the frequency range of the transmitter-not the transmission range, but the FREQUENCIES?

I'm in communications and have a service monitor with spectrum analyzer, but it only goes up to 1GHz. Somehow I get the impression that wireless power meters are running in Bluetooth frequency bands, which are higher than 1GHz.

Joachim
10-31-2015, 07:46 PM
Anybody know the frequency range of the transmitter-not the transmission range, but the FREQUENCIES?

I'm in communications and have a service monitor with spectrum analyzer, but it only goes up to 1GHz. Somehow I get the impression that wireless power meters are running in Bluetooth frequency bands, which are higher than 1GHz.

I thought ANT+ uses 2.4 GHz or is that the transmission?

thegunner
10-31-2015, 08:31 PM
I thought ANT+ uses 2.4 GHz or is that the transmission?

they're all 2.4, but they operate in ever so slightly different bands (or at least that's my understanding) - bluetooth and WiFi are also 2.4 GHz.

2444.5 MHz - 2469.5 MHz is the range specifically for ANT+

of course i've been misreading tons of posts late, so i might not be answering the right question haha.