PDA

View Full Version : OT--Most Cost Effective Way To Ship

mike p
10-31-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm fast closing in on 60 and quit racing this year. Still going to ride and maybe tour. I've come to the realization I don't need all the parts I've been hoarding over the past 30 years. Question, I've found a medium sized flat rate box is 12.95$. Quite a bit if the saddle I'm sticking in it is 50.00. I'm open to any tips on the best most efficient way of shipping bike parts. Mostly saddles, stems, cranks, handlebars, that sort of thing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

weisan
10-31-2015, 10:28 AM
mike pal, give me first dibs on your stash, and I will tell you the most economical way to ship... :D

small items: USPS
big items (frame, wheels): bikeflights.com

buldogge
10-31-2015, 10:31 AM
That same saddle, not in it's original box, but wrapped in cardboard/bubble will fit in the USPS Flat Rate Padded Envelope...$5.70 (online).

Sign-up for USPS.com and pre-pay/print labels and always save additional $.

Many people also use the shipping tools built into Paypal.

As far as things like bars that are bulky, but light...sometime 1st class parcel is better...usually bars are about $7-10 to ship. Always compare flat rate against regular rate because "regional" zip codes will often be cheaper at regular rate.

-Mark in St. Louis

I'm fast closing in on 60 and quit racing this year. Still going to ride and maybe tour. I've come to the realization I don't need all the parts I've been hoarding over the past 30 years. Question, I've found a medium sized flat rate box is 12.95$. Quite a bit if the saddle I'm sticking in it is 50.00. I'm open to any tips on the best most efficient way of shipping bike parts. Mostly saddles, stems, cranks, handlebars, that sort of thing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

pbarry
10-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Standard Post, formerly Parcel Post, from USPS for medium-large sized items like saddles. For small items, under 13 ounces, like a derailleur in a padded envelope, First Class Mail.

lovebird
10-31-2015, 10:34 AM
For a saddle, I've used USPS Priority Mail padded flat rate envelopes, about $6 anywhere conus. I wrapped the saddle in another flat rate padded envelope first for additional cushioning. Worked well, but I don't think I'd use that method with a super expensive leather saddle.

Ken Robb
10-31-2015, 10:36 AM
The work and expense of shipping may make Craigslist or other local marketing programs look pretty good. People in upper tax brackets might do well donating parts to a charity and taking a deduction to their taxable earnings.

oliver1850
10-31-2015, 12:26 PM
Note you can always add extra insurance to a flat rate envelope. $100 insurance is $2.75 and $200 is $3.50. I've had two claims for lost USPS items. Fairly easy online process. I sent link to similar ebay items and got prompt full refunds. Much better luck with USPS claims than UPS.

likebikes
10-31-2015, 01:07 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173673

kramnnim
10-31-2015, 05:42 PM
You can print First Class postage from within Paypal, for some reason you can't from the USPS site. Like someone already said, it is great for things under 13 ounces.

R3awak3n
10-31-2015, 05:49 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173673

Please check this thread. It shoupd be a sticky in the classifieds.

mike p
10-31-2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks all, very good information!

Mike

fiataccompli
10-31-2015, 06:52 PM
Shipping can be something that takes years to get down efficiently. I've been cleaning my basement (moreso of a similar collection of Fiat car parts, but an eclectic smattering of all sorts is stuff) the same way. One thing that works for me (in part because I have space) is I am pretty ruthless about snagging boxes and packing material from everywhere....plenty comes in from stuff purchased, but there is often good stuff at work, grocery bags, and I am not above snagging odd large boxes from a trash pile. Of course, as with most here, I have access to bike boxes from friends at shops also...and those are excellent for bikes (of course), wheels & large car parts (my case often). Anyway, having those supplies on hand and NOT having to purchase them is helpful on a number of levels. Knowing readily what ships with what service (USPS vs Fedex & Priority vs Parcel vs 1st Class vs Flat Rate) comes with a little experience. Bike flights.com or ship bikes.com (?) are also helpful Fedex resellers to be aware of. Have fun!

Got any late 90s Campy hoods in there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
11-01-2015, 05:26 AM
Shipping can be something that takes years to get down efficiently. I've been cleaning my basement (moreso of a similar collection of Fiat car parts, but an eclectic smattering of all sorts is stuff) the same way. One thing that works for me (in part because I have space) is I am pretty ruthless about snagging boxes and packing material from everywhere....plenty comes in from stuff purchased, but there is often good stuff at work, grocery bags, and I am not above snagging odd large boxes from a trash pile. Of course, as with most here, I have access to bike boxes from friends at shops also...and those are excellent for bikes (of course), wheels & large car parts (my case often). Anyway, having those supplies on hand and NOT having to purchase them is helpful on a number of levels. Knowing readily what ships with what service (USPS vs Fedex & Priority vs Parcel vs 1st Class vs Flat Rate) comes with a little experience. Bike flights.com or ship bikes.com (?) are also helpful Fedex resellers to be aware of. Have fun!

Got any late 90s Campy hoods in there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pointy top ERGO, rounded top ERGO(started in 1997), Pointy top just brake lever hoods?

Vecchio's has all three..

303-440-3535