PDA

View Full Version : rollers-- parabolic worth the extra $$?

joe.e
10-31-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm looking to pick up a set of rollers (never used em before), and I can find a bunch of relatively cheap ones on cl (like 70 bucks), or I could pick up a pair of nashbar/performance parabolics for 160. If I figure I may need to replace the band, lets figure the cost of a cl pair of rollers is 100 bucks.

So, having never used rollers, is it worth paying the extra 70ish for a pair of parabolics?

dgauthier
10-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Kreitler.

foo_fighter
10-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Not worth it...You can add front bumper wheels for a few bucks if you need them. Plus the parabolic rollers are plastic so you can't add resistance via magnets.

jhat
10-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Not worth it but make sure you are getting a resistance unit. Good rollers are worth the money if you are going to spend a lot of time on them.

kgreene10
10-31-2015, 11:19 AM
I agree that resistance is very useful. If the rollers use about 3.5" or less diameter drums, then there's likely enough resistance without adding something extra. Larger diameter drums (like my Krietler 4.5") only allow me to spin in z1 or z2. Krietler has an online wattage chart. I add resistance with the Krietler headwing fan. With metal drums, you can paste rare earth magnets to a small board and wedge it behind a roller. See youtube videos on that.

I differ a little on the advice so far re: parabolic drums. You can certainly add bumpers and that would be a good substitute. But if you don't want to do that and you get rollers with built-in resistance, then parabolic is nice to diminish the amount of attention you need to pay to remaining upright. I'm comfortable on my basic Krietlers, but it would be nice to be able to interact a bit more with my kid rather than paying so much attention to the ride.

Last year, I used a set of E-motion rollers with resistance. They were awesome and for me in a completely different category. But they cost huge bucks.

Peter P.
10-31-2015, 12:21 PM
The parabolic feature helps keep you from riding off the rollers. It really doesn't happen enough to warrant the feature.

Whether you buy them new or used, get the 3" drums. They' provide a measure of resistance so you get your heart rate up. The larger drums don't quite offer enough resistance.

10-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Get 4-1/2 inch rollers if you are warming up, need to work on your spin, or are racing track. They also are fine for road, but basic rollers simply aren't the way to get high load workouts in. You can buy a pair of 2-1/4" Kreitlers in near-mint condition for $125-160 (I've done it three times this last year for team mates) and get lots of hard workout time on those, but it doesn't feel like high-load road riding. The 3" Kreitlers are better but still not a good simulation, and either are a compromise that let you do a higher workout or a compromise that neither let you spin nor do a high level workout.

As for brands, Kreitler is the most common quality brand. I don't like the length adjustment on the Classics -- it slips, it rusts, it's just not thought out well. Otherwise they are ok and you can sell them for most of what they cost. That's especially true if you get them on Craigslist or sale forums at the various tracks, because then someone else pays the initial depreciation on purchase of new rollers. Look at the Kreitler Kompakt design -- much nicer drum installation, you can put 4-1/2" drums on the rails no matter what they say, and you can still get the drums spaced for road bikes and for most current track bikes. I wouldn't get the funky flywheels or the fan resistance unit -- both are klutzy, complicate storage or movement of the rollers, and are noisy and un-roadlike.

If you want significant resistance as an option on standard rollers, I'd suggest TruTrainers. I've got two pairs, had three, and use them for almost everything. The quality blows away anything else out there. By a mile. If you are considering Kreitler rollers, look at the TruTrainer travel rollers for the same price. They are much better. The only drawback to TruTrainers is that when you fold them, the drums are on the outside rather than the inside of the unit. That means you have to carry them in your trunk or wherever wrapped in a blanket or in an old suitcase to protect the drums from nicks.

I do think that eMotions are a gimmick and if you learn to ride rollers, you won't need the eMotion features except the resistance. And at that point you'll like the TruTrainers with their internal flywheel resistance better. Rollers don't need gimmicks (which includes parabolics) -- that's part of their beauty. I'll get flamed for that because there are people on here who worship their eMotions, but the people here who are able to ride rollers comfortably don't seem to need the extra bumpers and sliding frame and so on.

You may just want to get a trainer for power workouts and rollers for spinning and hard aerobic high-cadence work. That's the ideal combination because neither training unit does what the other does as well as by having both.

Splash
10-31-2015, 05:34 PM
11.4 - do the Tru-Trainers come in 2-1/4" diameter was well?

Do the foldable units have any issues with true alignment once unfolded?

Splash

10-31-2015, 05:55 PM
TruTrainers only come in 4-1/2", but the full blown version has an internal flywheel that will send you to an early death if you try hard on it. You don't need smaller drums with that unit. There's an option for a bolt on the side that unlocks the heavy flywheel so you can get a spin like on basic rollers, and then switch it to a high resistance load when your'e ready to barf.

The alignment is never an issue. Everything is CNC'd and machined to a precision far far exceeding Kreisler's. Kreitler is like a car garage welding shop and TruTrainer is like an advanced CNC lathe company. Very very different.

thwart
10-31-2015, 06:54 PM
I do think that eMotions are a gimmick and if you learn to ride rollers, you won't need the eMotion features except the resistance.

... there are people on here who worship their eMotions, but the people here who are able to ride rollers comfortably don't seem to need the extra bumpers and sliding frame and so on.
Everyone's got their opinion. Then again, I don't criticize you for preferring a different training tool... or for not knowing how to ride rollers.

For a frame of reference, I've had Nashbar and Kreitlers before buying my EMotions 6 yrs ago. Six years of almost daily use every winter... out in my unheated garage.

If something is fun to use (because you can sprint and get out of the saddle easily), and you actually want to ride 'em, well now that's a useful tool.

FWIW, a friend has TruTrainers and doesn't use 'em much...

Anarchist
10-31-2015, 07:10 PM
The cyclops/sportcrafter aluminium rollers are excellent.

Especially now that you can get two accessory drums for them. You can get a high inertia rear drum ( which is reversible) which does the same sort of thing as tru trainer. As you go faster, resistance increases.

You can also get the high mass, heavy middle drum which is very heavy and allows you to coast on the rollers.

jhat
10-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Second on the trutrainer rollers. That is what I am using now and they are fantastic. Spendy but fantastic. If you put magnets on it, you can do standing workouts as the resistance can be made to be very high. As 11.4 pointed out, they are unbelievably smooth

I have the magnetic resistance on mine but I do not know if that option is offered any more. As pointed out, you can do a home made unit easy enough if it is not offered.

10-31-2015, 08:58 PM
... or for not knowing how to ride rollers.

Hey, apologies. I certainly wasn't meaning to criticize you, especially since I know you've been on these for a while.

oldpotatoe
11-01-2015, 06:24 AM
I'm looking to pick up a set of rollers (never used em before), and I can find a bunch of relatively cheap ones on cl (like 70 bucks), or I could pick up a pair of nashbar/performance parabolics for 160. If I figure I may need to replace the band, lets figure the cost of a cl pair of rollers is 100 bucks.

So, having never used rollers, is it worth paying the extra 70ish for a pair of parabolics?

Not IMHO.. Rollers are really not that hard and provide a great workout. IME, with bike gearing, all the resistance you will need. Start with a chair next to them..and the 'nack' comes quite easily. PLUS, time passes more quickly, cuz you have to concentrate and outside you will ride straighter and pedal in circles better. Used Kreitlers, metal drums, bearings vice bushings.

old fat man
11-01-2015, 10:57 PM
If you are really nervous about going off the edge, you could build up some duct tape ridges to help keep your wheels from drifting too far. I did this with my first rollers for a few weeks until I was comfortable.

chiasticon
11-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Not IMHO.. Rollers are really not that hard and provide a great workout. IME, with bike gearing, all the resistance you will need. Start with a chair next to them..and the 'nack' comes quite easily. PLUS, time passes more quickly, cuz you have to concentrate and outside you will ride straighter and pedal in circles better. Used Kreitlers, metal drums, bearings vice bushings.agreed, all around.

eventually you'll get used to them enough that you can ride no handed, one-legged, standing up, sprinting, etc. that's when you're simultaneously stoked at your skills and saddened by how much you've been riding the damn things.

redir
11-02-2015, 07:46 AM
I wouldn't recommend spending too much on rollers especially when they end up in the closet with the rest of the boring exercise equipment :D

thwart
11-02-2015, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't recommend spending too much on rollers especially when they end up in the closet with the rest of the boring exercise equipment :D
Generally good advice, but Google eMotion rollers.

Or follow this link: http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/training/rollers/inside-ride/emotion-roller-system/prd_401419_2508crx.aspx

:D